home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > "Member Services:" Questions about Using DVC
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

View Poll Results: Should DVC implement more restrictive policies toward reservation modifications?
YES 125 35.92%
NO 223 64.08%
Voters: 348. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-06-2019, 06:28 PM   #431
disney65
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcsquirrel View Post
I know some love to attack all the IT, but I am pretty sure they have a pretty big operation. Can honestly say I have never had a problem other then the times the site was down. Sure do not find it as any kind of regular problem, seems more that walking puts you head of other DVC members not dealing with Disney IT problems.

Plenty can tell you here how often they find server down nuisance here.

Yes, trying since last 3 days at least 10 times to log in, all the time 504 timeout.

When I was able to log in, sure rooms are gone, but I immediately creates a waitlist at 11 month, I am hoping I will get the cheap room, if not other DVC member got it.

I do not have problem if a DVC member gets the super cheap room. I do have problem when Disney snatches for cash sell at 11 month window.

My Trip Reports

2015 Spring Poly/VGF
Wishes in Pics
Christmas 2014 HHI
2015 Christmas HHI and AKL
2016 - Atlantis Spring break
disney65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 09:16 PM   #432
yahoo
Studio

I love walking .
yahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 09:19 PM   #433
brp
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrycpa91 View Post
YEs I do. Does not mean Disney will listen. hire Hilton or Mariott to handle the reservations...they do not have the issues for many more reservations and inventories daily..
With many more locations and many more rooms. And they do allow reservation modification.

And, by the way, I've walked a HGVC reservation

Cheers.
Old 02-07-2019, 06:07 AM   #434
FCivish3
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcsquirrel View Post
It is manipulating a simple rules and makes it very unfair. I understand you want the room type you want and the location but this was never the intent and it erases some peoples 11 month booking because the rooms are gone by the time they open. I understand it is not a flat violation but it does get around the rules. It really only seems to apply to certain types of rooms and times of year.
NEVER the intent? I have to feel like, if Disney didn't want people walking reservations, then they would NOT have put such easy capability to Walk, into the computer system.

The fact is, people have ALWAYS walked reservations, because Disney allowed it. Has anyone EVER had a single instance where Disney or a Cast Member told them, "Hey, you know, you shouldn't be doing this!" If so, then I have never heard of it. So, far from 'taking advantage of a rule' it WAS THE RULE. BUT, you had to call up Member Services and take up their time, and this cost Disney money. It also was a bit more difficult to do, and maybe it embarrassed some people, so it has always been done, just not as frequently. However, Disney EXPRESSLY DESIGNED their new software interface to allow people to Walk. They WANTED DVC Members to be able to do their own 'Walking' so that it wouldn't bother them and take up their time anymore. So, it has always been there, but the Software made it easier (with Disney's consent) so many more people now take advantage of it.

I walk reservations. I have done this since the very first month that I owned DVC. I don't do it often, but if I NEED a certain day or a certain specific reservation, then I can not take the chance

I would rather NOT walk. I really would just like to be able to sign onto the reservation system ANY time, ANY day, and just pick out what I want and make the reservation. But that is NOT how DVC works. The 'flexibility' is becoming more and more limited. Disney's new reservation system itself is partly to blame for that, since it encourages people to make reservations, in general, because it is so easy. But there are also changes in how people USE their DVC. It used to be that if you found that you couldn't use your points, you would try to bank them, if possible. And if they couldn't be banked or they were going to expire, then you either gave them to friends or family, or just let them expire. Well, with the rise of the internet, social media, message boards, and companies that 'broker' point reservations as a business, Renting out points has become not only easier, is has become positively mainstream. So, points that used to expire are now being used, and they are taking up reservations. Taking up space. Decreasing availability for other people. This is not necessarily a BAD thing, and you simply CAN NOT deny people the right to use their points, that they paid for, just like you. But with the ease of computers, this continues to grow.

In the end, if EVERYONE used ALL their points and they never 'wasted' them by letting them expire, then EVERY ROOM WOULD BE BOOKED, EVERY DAY, ALL THE TIME. Since there are exactly as many rooms available as there are points to use those rooms. So, this means that ANY easy availability that you have MUST come on the backs of people who are letting their points expire. Think about it.
(EXCEPT for the Lockoff Premium, where Disney sucks extra points out of our pockets, as FessParker1 said.)

As more and more people adjust to the 'new world of DVC reservations,' availability will be even worse, and then, more and more, people who need certain dates will be booking earlier and earlier in the cycle. We ARE moving towards that. We will never get there completely, because there will always be SOME wastage of points. But we will get closer and closer.

When you look at it in this light, walking is just a way to help people get the reservations they need. Say that you sign on and you NEED your reservation to be on a certain specific day. If it is a popular season, or a popular unit, it may be gone within mere seconds. In particular, this happens with Grand California (any studios left at 7 months), Animal Kingdom Value Rooms and Concierge Rooms. Other resorts are just as bad during popular times, such as Standard View rooms at BLT and Boardwalk Villas (and often evern CC), right at 11 months. Gone within seconds. So, suppose that when you sign on, you only have a 25% chance of getting the reservation you want. Well, if you are willing to walk, and you start a day before, you get TWO chances at that 25%. If you start 5 days before then you get 5 times as many chances, or 10 or 15 times as many chances, depending on when you are willing to start trying, and walking. How determined are you? What level of risk are you willing to take, if you really need certain specific days? Walking is a simple tool that is used by MORE MOTIVATED DVC Owners. And since it is now so easy, it doesn't require A LOT of motivation to use it. It is a tool that brings us closer to the most efficient use of their points, and, while inconvenient, it is not bad.

Now, I currently have never walked anything for more than a week or so. But as more and more people walk, then you need to start the walking earlier and earlier. People will make their initial reservation 2 weeks out, in order to beat the people who start walking at 10 days out, or the people who think they can grab their chosen reservation on exactly the day they want.

Poly, AKL, BLT

Last edited by FCivish3; 02-07-2019 at 12:20 PM.
FCivish3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 07:58 AM   #435
DVCERSINCEDAY1
Add-on Aficionado

these boots were made for walkin' - easy peasy online

Barb & Family (Darcy, Belle, Rose, Joey, Black Jack, and Chippy )
DVCERSINCEDAY1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 08:11 AM   #436
FessParker1
Grand Villa

[quote=FCivish3;1529222]
The fact is, people have ALWAYS walked reservations, because Disney allowed it. Has anyone EVER had a single instance where Disney or a Cast Member told them, "Hey, you know, you shouldn't be doing this!" If so, then I have never heard of it. So, far from 'taking advantage of a rule' it WAS THE RULE. BUT, you had to call up Member Services and take up their time, and this cost Disney money. It also was a bit more difficult to do, and maybe it embarrassed some people, so it has always been done, just not as frequently.

I would rather NOT walk. I really would just like to be able to sign onto the reservation system ANY time, ANY day, and just pick out what I want and make the reservation. But that is NOT how DVC works. The 'flexibility' is becoming more and more limited. Disney's new reservation system itself is partly to blame for that, since it encourages people to make reservations, in general, because it is so easy. But there are also changes in how people USE their DVC. It used to be that if you found that you couldn't use your points, you would try to bank them, if possible. And if they couldn't be banked or they were going to expire, then you either gave them to friends or family, or just let them expire. Well, with the rise of the internet, social media, message boards, and companies that 'broker' point reservations as a business, Renting out points has become not only easier, is has become positively mainstream. So, points that used to expire are now being used, and they are taking up reservations. Taking up space. Decreasing availability for other people. This is not necessarily a BAD thing, and you simply CAN NOT deny people the right to use their points, that they paid for, just like you. But with the ease of computers, this continues to grow.

In the end, if EVERYONE used ALL their points and they never 'wasted' them by letting them expire, then EVERY ROOM WOULD BE BOOKED, EVERY DAY, ALL THE TIME. Since there are exactly as many rooms available as there are points to use those rooms. So, availability would be even worse, and then, more and more, people who needed certain dates would be booking earlier and earlier in the cycle. We ARE moving towards that. We will never get there completely, because there will always be SOME wastage of points. But we will get closer and closer.
QUOTE]

It costs Disney ZERO $$$, MF's pay for it all. All the points would take all the rooms only if everyone booked 2 bedroom lock offs as a 2 bedroom. When they get broken up that eats into millions of owners points and gives Disney free rooms in breakage.
FessParker1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 08:56 AM   #437
DVCERSINCEDAY1
Add-on Aficionado

the timeout 504 error occurs when booking has become unavailable in the short interim since you tried to book. i don't think it's an error as such, just what the system does in this situation.

Old 02-07-2019, 08:59 AM   #438
disney65
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVCERSINCEDAY1 View Post
the timeout 504 error occurs when booking has become unavailable in the short interim since you tried to book. i don't think it's an error as such, just what the system does in this situation.
No, is not letting me log in.

My Trip Reports

2015 Spring Poly/VGF
Wishes in Pics
Christmas 2014 HHI
Old 02-07-2019, 09:00 AM   #439
DVCERSINCEDAY1
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney65 View Post
No, is not letting me log in.
oh....i guess this happens for multiple errors/overload.

Old 02-07-2019, 09:17 AM   #440
disney65
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVCERSINCEDAY1 View Post
oh....i guess this happens for multiple errors/overload.
Happening repeatedly for last at least a week now. Can not check availability or make reservations. Yesterday i got logged off while searching.

My Trip Reports

2015 Spring Poly/VGF
Wishes in Pics
Christmas 2014 HHI