home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > "Member Services:" Questions about Using DVC
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

View Poll Results: Should DVC implement more restrictive policies toward reservation modifications?
YES 125 35.92%
NO 223 64.08%
Voters: 348. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-30-2015, 01:57 PM   #341
eileenkeeney
Passing the time on a more satisfying site

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasha99 View Post
Day by day would be misery--you could think you have a vacation, but end up having to wait list days in the middle if you didn't get them. Plus, it was before my time, but it seems the old way meant more phone calls and longer waits. I think almost anyone who is a planner would call every day; not that many people walk.
I knew someone would give this response.
You don't have to book day by day, anymore than you now have to walk.
They are logically equivalent (but day by day is less tedious than the walking process).
Just wait until all of your days qualify, then book.
This is logically equivalent to the current booking process, without walking.
Basically the line (that represents the date you can start booking) moves.

But I really can't have this debate without just getting frustrated, because what is so logical to me is not easy for me to explain so other people understand it.
eileenkeeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 05:28 PM   #342
SuzanneSLO
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by eileenkeeney View Post
I knew someone would give this response.
You don't have to book day by day, anymore than you now have to walk.
They are logically equivalent (but day by day is less tedious than the walking process).
Just wait until all of your days qualify, then book.
This is logically equivalent to the current booking process, without walking.
Basically the line (that represents the date you can start booking) moves.

But I really can't have this debate without just getting frustrated, because what is so logical to me is not easy for me to explain so other people understand it.
I disagree with that booking day by day under the old system is logically equivalent to walking a reservation under the current system.

When I booked day by day under the old system, I booked only nights I expected to stay. When I walk a reservation under the current system, I book nights I don't plan to stay (and this is exactly what bothers some people).

I actually think a better equivalency is between booking day by day under the old system and booking at you home resort while planning to switch at 7 months. In both you are booking as soon as possible to make sure you have a reservation, even if you could wait and take your chances. -- Suzanne
SuzanneSLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 06:45 PM   #343
erikthewise
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzanneSLO View Post
I disagree with that booking day by day under the old system is logically equivalent to walking a reservation under the current system.

When I booked day by day under the old system, I booked only nights I expected to stay. When I walk a reservation under the current system, I book nights I don't plan to stay (and this is exactly what bothers some people).

I actually think a better equivalency is between booking day by day under the old system and booking at you home resort while planning to switch at 7 months. In both you are booking as soon as possible to make sure you have a reservation, even if you could wait and take your chances. -- Suzanne
I've lost track of what the "old system" (how old?) and "new system" are -- could someone please remind me?
The definition and whole point of "walking" is to take advantage of the ability to book 7 days (or whatever) beyond the 11 month mark (or 7 months if you don't own there), giving yourself highest possible priority to book those dates one day at a time. Without that feature there is no "walking", only day-by-day or all-at-once.

Charter Member of OOO (Order Of the Oval)
erikthewise is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 09:28 AM   #344
Billy3762
Studio

As a side note; I've noticed there have been almost 11,000 views to this thread and almost 350 posts, which I know a lot of the same people replying.
I'm curious to think that this walking procedure might Increase now making things even that much more difficult.
Seeing that more people have become aware of it, like myself, I didn't know about walking, but are curious to try.
Old 05-01-2015, 09:32 AM   #345
DVCERSINCEDAY1
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy3762 View Post
As a side note; I've noticed there have been almost 11,000 views to this thread and almost 350 posts, which I know a lot of the same people replying.
I'm curious to think that this walking procedure might Increase now making things even that much more difficult.
Seeing that more people have become aware of it, like myself, I didn't know about walking, but are curious to try.
knowledge is power (francis bacon)

i hadn't tried til recently - agree that 11-months is the ticket, but have had some success with poly at 7 months this year. as others have said, this year poly at 7 is much like others at 11.

Barb & Family (Darcy, Belle, Rose, Joey, Black Jack, and Chippy )
DVCERSINCEDAY1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 10:16 AM   #346
Shewill
Add-on Aficionado

Walking absolutely fascinates me. I have no idea why. I don't own a single pt. Perhaps because I am left brained and never understand logistics. They key to walking is being able to start somewhere. In the case of the few rooms at DVC in California there is never a good place to start walking at 7 months. The rooms go at 11 months. It may even be difficult to get them at 11 months at 8 a.M. All year around. So when would you start walking?

The other rooms that walking seem necessary is AKV value , club and BWV standard. So when do you start walking those rooms? The club rooms are so popular all year long so when would you start walking? If you want a standard at BWV at food and wine do you start walking in early Sept? If you want a value at Christmas do you start walking before Thanksgiving? See it is all logistics.
Shewill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 10:45 AM   #347
Billy3762
Studio

[quote=DVCERSINCEDAY1;1108132]knowledge is power (francis bacon)

But wisdom is stronger.
Perhaps, maybe have been best to leave the cat in the bag on this one.

Like any good thing, like a best kept secret, when too many people get wind of it, it tends to get ruined.

This however could have a positive effect, it may provoke Disney to tighten their restrictions on the number of times coupled with how often you can modify a reservation. Putting an end to or at least a leash on walking. Especially if their phone lines are tied up due to members walking.

Calling everyday for weeks on end just seems ridiculous to me.

I hope I never have a problem booking my home resort at 11 months, that wouldn't be much fun.
Old 05-01-2015, 10:47 AM   #348
DVCERSINCEDAY1
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shewill View Post
Walking absolutely fascinates me. I have no idea why. I don't own a single pt. Perhaps because I am left brained and never understand logistics. They key to walking is being able to start somewhere. In the case of the few rooms at DVC in California there is never a good place to start walking at 7 months. The rooms go at 11 months. It may even be difficult to get them at 11 months at 8 a.M. All year around. So when would you start walking?

The other rooms that walking seem necessary is AKV value , club and BWV standard. So when do you start walking those rooms? The club rooms are so popular all year long so when would you start walking? If you want a standard at BWV at food and wine do you start walking in early Sept? If you want a value at Christmas do you start walking before Thanksgiving? See it is all logistics.
buy a small contract (e.g., 25 points) and see for yourself what walking entails.

Barb & Family (Darcy, Belle, Rose, Joey, Black Jack, and Chippy )
DVCERSINCEDAY1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 02:11 PM   #349
SuzanneSLO
Grand Villa

[quote=Billy3762;1108166]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVCERSINCEDAY1 View Post
knowledge is power (francis bacon)

But wisdom is stronger.
Perhaps, maybe have been best to leave the cat in the bag on this one.

Like any good thing, like a best kept secret, when too many people get wind of it, it tends to get ruined.

This however could have a positive effect, it may provoke Disney to tighten their restrictions on the number of times coupled with how often you can modify a reservation. Putting an end to or at least a leash on walking. Especially if their phone lines are tied up due to members walking.

Calling everyday for weeks on end just seems ridiculous to me.

I hope I never have a problem booking my home resort at 11 months, that wouldn't be much fun.
This has not been a secret for a long time. It was discussed on this Board in 2008: http://www.mouseowners.com/forums/sh...booking+change
-- Suzanne
SuzanneSLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 04:05 PM   #350
Billy3762
Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzanneSLO View Post

This has not been a secret for a long time. It was discussed on this Board in 2008: http://www.mouseowners.com/forums/sh...booking+change
-- Suzanne
Big difference between today and 7 years ago. I found it interesting that in 2008 only 5 pages and 50 replies were made as compared to the 400 or so replied and 30+ pages as this same topic is discussed today.
More money, more members, less choices