home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > "Perks Pages"
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03-26-2016, 10:41 AM   #11
stellabutterman
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslaTurbine View Post
I'm not sure I follow you. DVA is different that the Disney Gift Card website, which is accessible via your smartphone, although not in an app. The gift card site is pretty easy to use and manage. It keeps the gift card saved online. Simply take a Sharpie marker and label each card as 1, 2, 3, etc. and then name each card the same when you save them to the gift card website.
I know they are different websites and thanks for double-checking me--I appreciate it. Every trip is getting more complicated in all things Disney, and it's easy to get things mixed up. I use a silver sharpie to name the cards. It works well.

I'd consider the gift card site if I could track more than 5 cards; however, I may use it because I'm just taking cards to cover food, and I could have 100-150 on each card. I'm not convinced it's easy to access like the old app, but I need to explore it more than just making an account. Thanks for convincing me to look again. Who knows, I may like it more than I think I will.

I'm not currently interested in DVA because of the problems people had with it in the past. I'm looking for an easy, reliable way to track Disney gift card balances.
stellabutterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 12:47 PM   #12
Disney Dad ADL
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellabutterman View Post
I use the gift cards to pay for food in the parks or other stuff and to pay down my balance I charged to the room with my magic band. They were convenient to use when we couldn't charge to a magic band. We had minor difficulties last summer when we switched resorts, and at least one of our magic bands didn't work initially as it should.

I'm not convinced DVA is my best bet at this point. I've read of some issues with it being down and little communication from Disney. It may not be a problem now.

It was just easier and very simple to track the cards' balances via the app--very easy. Essentially that's what I want to do--track balances and verify the cards were activated too. Off to research possible card tracking apps--gyft and google wallet.
Gotcha.

Probably not what you are looking for, but I actually use Google Keep to keep track of some of my other digital gift cards. It's not what it's made for though. Keep is actually a to do list app (for grocery lists or whatever). I have a list of all my gift cards, and next to each one I note whether I've used it or not. You could theoretically write the balance next to each one and update the balance of each gift card manually as you use them. It would be available offline, so you wouldn't need internet access, but also syncs to the cloud. Not as elegant as a dedicated app though.
Disney Dad ADL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 01:02 PM   #13
disney65
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Dad ADL View Post
Just tried again, still banned. I actually get the " You order was cancelled " E-mail before I even get the order confirmation E-mail.
Time to open another account.

My Trip Reports

2015 Spring Poly/VGF
Wishes in Pics
Christmas 2014 HHI
2015 Christmas HHI and AKL
2016 - Atlantis Spring break
disney65 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 08:21 AM   #14
IslaTurbine
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellabutterman View Post
I know they are different websites and thanks for double-checking me--I appreciate it. Every trip is getting more complicated in all things Disney, and it's easy to get things mixed up. I use a silver sharpie to name the cards. It works well.

I'd consider the gift card site if I could track more than 5 cards; however, I may use it because I'm just taking cards to cover food, and I could have 100-150 on each card. I'm not convinced it's easy to access like the old app, but I need to explore it more than just making an account. Thanks for convincing me to look again. Who knows, I may like it more than I think I will.

I'm not currently interested in DVA because of the problems people had with it in the past. I'm looking for an easy, reliable way to track Disney gift card balances.
IslaTurbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 11:06 AM   #15
Crafty
Grand Villa

I am considering buying gift cards at either SAMs or Target for our next trip. It makes me nervous to hear that sometimes the cards are not activated. How do you tell if they have been activated before trying to use them while on vacation? I don't want to present a card in a restaurant and be told it won't work.
Crafty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 11:42 AM   #16
BLTMouse
Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafty View Post
I am considering buying gift cards at either SAMs or Target for our next trip. It makes me nervous to hear that sometimes the cards are not activated. How do you tell if they have been activated before trying to use them while on vacation? I don't want to present a card in a restaurant and be told it won't work.
You can go on line and check the balance before you leave for Disney. The cards will have a website listed, as well as your PIN.
BLTMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 11:51 AM   #17
BugsDad
Grand Villa

Quote:
I've bought a lot of Disney gift cards over the last few years. I've only had one that was DOA. A call to Target fixed it in five minutes.

BugsDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 10:17 PM   #18
Crafty
Grand Villa

What is your feeling about the Disney Vacation Account? I read that you can save another 2% when you spend $1000. We would be using the account to pay for our APs this year and could certainly use the extra savings.

My concern is caused by the serious problems that I have been encountering with the member website. Is the DVA website prone to the same problems? Will my money be safe?
Crafty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 11:18 PM   #19
WalleandEve
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Quote:
What is your feeling about the Disney Vacation Account? I read that you can save another 2% when you spend $1000. We would be using the account to pay for our APs this year and could certainly use the extra savings.

My concern is caused by the serious problems that I have been encountering with the member website. Is the DVA website prone to the same problems? Will my money be safe?
I can tell you that after using the DVA for about a year and a half, we have had no problems with the program.

In general, I use my Chase Ink Plus to buy Target cards from Staples (5% cash back), and then use the Target cards for Disney cards (5% discount). I load us a few gift cards on the Disney Gift Card website (in case if refunds like reduced port fees, it's easier to track) and then load up the DVA account.

It pays for our cruises and our tickets/season passes. Although it may be a bit cumbersome for others, I like getting 15+% back in discounts or bonuses (Ink Plus transfers to Southwest, earning about 8% back in flight miles). We almost never pay for flights using the Ink Plus for our business.
WalleandEve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 11:29 PM   #20
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:

I've used it with no problems but in between my uses there was a time that they had some significant problems but I'm a little fuzzy on what the details were.