home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > JUST FOR FUN > Photography and Technology
 FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 11-28-2016, 05:08 PM   #21
Rook
Studio

May I highjack a bit and add on a couple questions?

What is different in the iPhone 7 and the 7 Plus for the camera? I know the 2x optic zoom lens, but is that really much impact?

Is there a Canon equivalent of the Sony mirrorless; one which would accommodate a Canon lens from a DSLR? My wife has a canon and loves it, but won't take it to Disney due to the bulk. I was looking into either a more travel friendly camera, or upgrading her iPhone. She already has several quality lenses from Canon/Sigma, etc. Hate to have to buy new ones.
Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 05:17 PM   #22
PSULion22
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rook View Post
May I highjack a bit and add on a couple questions?

What is different in the iPhone 7 and the 7 Plus for the camera? I know the 2x optic zoom lens, but is that really much impact?
It's a completely different camera system. The 7+ uses a dual lens system, where the camera actually has two lenses. that is how they get the better zoom. but the dual lens also creates a wider field and better low light performance. Plus it gives the ability to blur the background in portraits.

Quote:
Is there a Canon equivalent of the Sony mirrorless; one which would accommodate a Canon lens from a DSLR? My wife has a canon and loves it, but won't take it to Disney due to the bulk. I was looking into either a more travel friendly camera, or upgrading her iPhone. She already has several quality lenses from Canon/Sigma, etc. Hate to have to buy new ones.
Yep, they make a EOS-M line that works on EF-M lenses, but can use regular EF lenses with an adapter. Then again, the Sony can use Canon EF lenses with an adapter as well.
PSULion22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 06:22 PM   #23
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Of all the mirrorless systems out there, Canon's gets the most meh to negative reviews. My understanding is that you can do much better with another brand as far as mirrorless is concerne. Overall, I'm a Canon person though so I get the attraction to using their lenses.

Dirk
Old 03-09-2017, 10:23 AM   #24
cw62803
Studio

New Samsung phones and iPhones can take museum-quality photos.
cw62803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 02:46 PM   #25
PSULion22
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw62803 View Post
New Samsung phones and iPhones can take museum-quality photos.
I have taken some incredible quality photos with my iPhone7+. The image quality and clarity are spectacular. But the camera phone doesn't have the ability to alter things like aperature and exposure, or create depth of field (beside the small amount the iPhone7+ can do). So they aren't an equal replacement for a solid DSLR.
Old 03-09-2017, 05:08 PM   #26
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSULion22 View Post
I have taken some incredible quality photos with my iPhone7+. The image quality and clarity are spectacular. But the camera phone doesn't have the ability to alter things like aperature and exposure, or create depth of field (beside the small amount the iPhone7+ can do). So they aren't an equal replacement for a solid DSLR.
Yep. That's my struggle. For what the iPhone 7+ can do, I love it. For what it can't do, I still lug the Big Boy. I was actually pretty happy with the 7+ almost exclusively for the parks at Disneyland last summer. There were only a couple of instance I would have preferred the dSLR. For the rest of the California trip, dSLR it was.

WDW is always a challenge because I want the dSLR for AK and Epcot. Less so for MK and DS, but even there it's useful.

Dirk
Old 03-09-2017, 05:22 PM   #27
PSULion22
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
Yep. That's my struggle. For what the iPhone 7+ can do, I love it. For what it can't do, I still lug the Big Boy. I was actually pretty happy with the 7+ almost exclusively for the parks at Disneyland last summer. There were only a couple of instance I would have preferred the dSLR. For the rest of the California trip, dSLR it was.

WDW is always a challenge because I want the dSLR for AK and Epcot. Less so for MK and DS, but even there it's useful.

Dirk
I keep toying with the idea of the Ollo clip to expand the capabilities of the phone.

I wish someone would come up with a system that could use real lenses, with a housing to clip the phone into. So a full sized Ollo clip with real glass. This way you can set aperatures and have full focal length. They could develop an app to deal with adjusting exposures and such digitally. It would at least eliminate some of the bulk and weight.

There are things the iPhone can do that a DSLR can't also. For example, Live Photos. If you know how to set up and anticipate the shot, you can get some really incredible Live Photos. Some of my most treasured pics are Live Photos that not only look great in the still frame, but have truly spectacular motion compenents. Another example would be the ability to take still pics while recording video. I've gotten some great shots with that capability as well.
Old 03-10-2017, 09:34 AM   #28
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
I keep toying with the idea of the Ollo clip to expand the capabilities of the phone.

I wish someone would come up with a system that could use real lenses, with a housing to clip the phone into. So a full sized Ollo clip with real glass. This way you can set aperatures and have full focal length. They could develop an app to deal with adjusting exposures and such digitally. It would at least eliminate some of the bulk and weight.

There are things the iPhone can do that a DSLR can't also. For example, Live Photos. If you know how to set up and anticipate the shot, you can get some really incredible Live Photos. Some of my most treasured pics are Live Photos that not only look great in the still frame, but have truly spectacular motion compenents. Another example would be the ability to take still pics while recording video. I've gotten some great shots with that capability as well.
I almost got the Ollo system (Oh, typing it out, I think I just figured out their name!) but I don't like that the attachment mechanisms change every couple of models of phone. There's also the case aspect. Lot's of changing around to get a shot. Realistically, the wide angle would probably be the one I'd be most likely to use. Maybe helpful for fireworks video.

I think it's a great idea, it just doesn't fit the way I work in a theme park.

As it stands, If I'm taking a camera, I take my Canon 6D on a Black Rapid strap with either the 17-40 lens, or the 24-105 lens. If going to AK, I toss the 70-300 into Jim's backpack. I also have a travel tripod that will go into Jim's backpack, which will definitely come in handy in AK this trip now that it's open at night. If we're out and about in general and not in a theme park, I have a LowePro Slingshot for camera stuff.

I used a gorilla pod for my old P&S days, but I"m not sure it's worth it with a Canon full frame like the 6D, though they do make them large enough.

The other piece is not wanting to pack stuff for travel I *may* want and end up not using, especially when we fly.

Dirk
Old 03-10-2017, 01:22 PM   #29
PSULion22
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
I almost got the Ollo system (Oh, typing it out, I think I just figured out their name!) but I don't like that the attachment mechanisms change every couple of models of phone. There's also the case aspect. Lot's of changing around to get a shot. Realistically, the wide angle would probably be the one I'd be most likely to use. Maybe helpful for fireworks video.

I think it's a great idea, it just doesn't fit the way I work in a theme park.

As it stands, If I'm taking a camera, I take my Canon 6D on a Black Rapid strap with either the 17-40 lens, or the 24-105 lens. If going to AK, I toss the 70-300 into Jim's backpack. I also have a travel tripod that will go into Jim's backpack, which will definitely come in handy in AK this trip now that it's open at night. If we're out and about in general and not in a theme park, I have a LowePro Slingshot for camera stuff.

I used a gorilla pod for my old P&S days, but I"m not sure it's worth it with a Canon full frame like the 6D, though they do make them large enough.

The other piece is not wanting to pack stuff for travel I *may* want and end up not using, especially when we fly.

Dirk
That's what's keeping me from getting it. It seems like a hassle for a marginal improvement in capability. A device that would turn the phone into a true mirrorless DSLR would be different.

I downsized my Canon 60D to a Sony a6000. So the size and weight is less, especially with the extra lenses. I have a Clik Elite backpack, that has a camera pouch on the inside that fits everything easily. But it's still more backpack than camera bag. Carrying the camera isn't the problem, nor anything different than I'd normally do, except the added weight and volume. But it's like you said, I'm constantly carrying it around just in case. And I end up just using my phone most of the time.
Old 03-11-2017, 12:54 PM   #30
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
That's what's keeping me from getting it. It seems like a hassle for a marginal improvement in capability. A device that would turn the phone into a true mirrorless DSLR would be different.

I downsized my Canon 60D to a Sony a6000. So the size and weight is less, especially with the extra lenses. I have a Clik Elite backpack, that has a camera pouch on the inside that fits everything easily. But it's still more backpack than camera bag. Carrying the camera isn't the problem, nor anything different than I'd normally do, except the added weight and volume. But it's like you said, I'm constantly carrying it around just in case. And I end up just using my phone most of the time.
For me, I think it also depends on how much "leisure time" I'll have. In Disneyland last summer, there really wasn't much that I was interested in doing with the dSLR given how fast we were moving so the iPhone did great. Actually, it did extremely well considering how I adjusted for its limitations (and California's naturally bright sunshine and clear sky).

When we left DL for the Bay area, it was almost exclusively the dSLR. I had more time and wasn't concerned with stashing a backpack on an attraction.

Dirk