home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > My Disney Experience, Magic Bands, and FastPass+
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03-18-2017, 09:03 PM   #1
Debpod
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Default MDE Set Up Questions - Renting DVC

Hi All!

This is my first time staying at a Disney hotel and renting a DVC. I have been reading all kinds of MDE and FP info online, but would greatly appreciate some feedback on our specific situation. The process is very overwhelming!

My family and sister's family are staying together in a 2 BR DVC villa and want to be sure we understand the best way for us to set up MDE for ADR, FP+ and payment.

1) I am the primary guest listed and doing most of the organizing. I will be setting up a MDE account, but wondered whether my account should include all 8 guests in the room. I assume it definitely should?

2) Should my sister set up her own account too? I'm wondering because we want her family's bands to be linked to one credit card and mine to another. Or can I assign different credit cards to different magic bands? And is there a benefit to her setting an account up in case we can't get a table reservation for 8, but can do 2 tables of 4?

3) If I list all 8 guests on MDE, will all the magic bands come to me in the mail? And will that change if my sister sets up her own account? (Then will
I get 4 and she will get 4)?

4) If I set up an account and my sister does too, can FP+ reservations still be made through my account for all 8 of us or will I have to manage both accounts separately to set up FPs?

5) I read someone where else that our dining plan won't show up on MDE because it's being added by the DVC owner/renter. Is this true? If it doesn't show up, then how do we know it's been purchased and how is it linked to our magicbands? I'm nervous about making sure we're all set up and ready to go when we get there.

Thank you for your sage wisdom!
Debpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 09:26 PM   #2
cpnkirk
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debpod View Post
Hi All!

This is my first time staying at a Disney hotel and renting a DVC. I have been reading all kinds of MDE and FP info online, but would greatly appreciate some feedback on our specific situation. The process is very overwhelming!

My family and sister's family are staying together in a 2 BR DVC villa and want to be sure we understand the best way for us to set up MDE for ADR, FP+ and payment.

1) I am the primary guest listed and doing most of the organizing. I will be setting up a MDE account, but wondered whether my account should include all 8 guests in the room. I assume it definitely should?

2) Should my sister set up her own account too? I'm wondering because we want her family's bands to be linked to one credit card and mine to another. Or can I assign different credit cards to different magic bands? And is there a benefit to her setting an account up in case we can't get a table reservation for 8, but can do 2 tables of 4?

3) If I list all 8 guests on MDE, will all the magic bands come to me in the mail? And will that change if my sister sets up her own account? (Then will

4) If I set up an account and my sister does too, can FP+ reservations still be made through my account for all 8 of us or will I have to manage both accounts separately to set up FPs?

5) I read someone where else that our dining plan won't show up on MDE because it's being added by the DVC owner/renter. Is this true? If it doesn't show up, then how do we know it's been purchased and how is it linked to our magicbands? I'm nervous about making sure we're all set up and ready to go when we get there.

1) I would say yes for this
2) We have set up a 2nd account - it's a bit tricky, but you can see all the info from both accounts.
3) I am pretty sure all the bands will come to you. We had 2 accounts, and all the bands came to me - but then both accounts had the same address. I'm not sure they require an address to set up an MDE account, though.
4) you should be able to make all FP+ through one account
5) haven't had this one yet, not sure.

cpnkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 10:50 PM   #3
Maddismom
Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debpod View Post
Hi All!

1). Yes
2). No; not necessary but she can and you can have her see your reservations. I managed all for our party of 10. You can call if you need to change an ADR or try to check availability instead of doing online if easier...
3) yes all bands come to you
4). You can make the FP for entire party and this is good if you will all be traveling to same parks together so you are sure to get same FP window
5) you make your ADR's on MDE so the dining plan doesn't actually start until Check in. We did this (meaning bought it while renting) but can't remember if I saw any note of it on MDE and it doesn't matter because you don't need it in order to made ADR's.
Maddismom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 11:07 PM   #4
tink711
Add-on Aficionado

I would recommend setting up a single MDE account and then you manage all the reservations.
You can set up separate credit card charges. If you can't figure out how to do it on line, just wait until you get to the resort. You can set up your CC and only authorize it for your family on line. After you check in your sister can add a CC for her family.
On the DDP, yes the DVC member will have to purchase it for you. I know it shows up in the DVC system but I don't remember if it shows up in MDE or not. As for knowing if it has been purchased you can always just check your payment method. Usually renters either give the DVC member their CC # or they buy a Disney gift card and give the member the gift card information (you can even go to Disneygiftcard.com and get an egift card). Once the DDP has been purchased just check to see that the form of payment has been charged.

Always dreaming of my next visit ...

My DVC Caste: Happy to be a Donald!
tink711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 09:35 AM   #5
Spartan86

I'll just comment on number 4.
We often travel as a group of 5 adults and we each have our own MDE accounts. I believe my wife initially set them all up, but if the guest is over 18 you have the option of "controlling" or "sharing" their MDE account. When you select the "share" option that person gets an email which leads to them having their own MDE account. With this option you will have them in your friends and family list, and you will be in theirs and you can make and manage ADR's, FP+ etc but so can they in similar fashion. The beauty of it for us has been that my wife and I as the planners can set things up, but once there any of us can adjust things for us all, or just two of us etc. IOW it doesn't have to always be only one person on the app doing everything for everybody. I think I would at least get your sister on board so you have another adult who can make and change plans for you all. One caveat with ADR's - they can only be modified or cancelled from the MDE account that made the original reservation.

Have a great time! Get used to MDE. You use for everything. Be advised there are slight differences between the MDE website, phone app and tablet app. You don't always find things the same way or in the same place so play around with them ahead of time.
Spartan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 09:53 AM   #6
lovindisney
Add-on Aficionado

As far as the DDP, it will show on the room account as having been paid for. Your rentee can provide you with a copy of your reservation that shows this if you don't already have one. So, you make your dining plans and then go to the reservation, the restaurant scans your MB, the information will go back to the room account, which will show the DDP has been paid for. I hope that helps!
lovindisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 09:52 PM   #7
Debpod

Thanks so much! This is all really helpful feedback and I appreciate you all taking time to share
Debpod is offline   Reply With Quote