home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > JUST FOR FUN > Photography and Technology
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 09-08-2016, 09:00 AM   #1
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Default Who's in for iPhone 7 Plus??

I'm in a real quandary. After being generally pleased with my iPhone 6s as my Disneyland camera and watching yesterday's Keynote, I really want the added features of the camera in the 7 Plus. My sole concern is form factor.

For shutterbugs, what do you think about the 7 Plus?

For iPhone Plus users, what do you think about the larger size in terms of routine handling?

For point of reference, I generally keep the phone in a front pocket and I use Apple's standard case that protects the back and gives a more comfortable grip but adds negligibly to the size.

Separate question: I'm going to switch from Verizon to ATT. Should I do the switch before I upgrade in the store to save a step on a hectic release date, or would the switch pretty seamless (I really need to port my number)? All accounts are paid and both mine and my partner's phones are unlocked.

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 11:16 AM   #2
PSULion22
Grand Villa

I'm getting it, but then again, I get the new one every year.

The camera is just too intriuging to pass up. If this system works (LG tried but their system just didn't work right), it's really going to revolutionize cell phone cameras. It may be enough for me to finally just drop the DSLR.

In terms of size, I went from a 5S to a 6 Plus. It was wayyyyyy too big. . .for about 5 minutes. Now I can't imagine using anything smaller. My dad's 5S looks like a little kid's toy to me. One of my coworkers got the 6 when it came out. He returned it for a 6 Plus when he saw mine. I was concerned about basic handling and one handed usage, but even that isn't a problem for me (and I have small hands). I also keep mine in my front pocket and haven't had any issues with that either.

I can't say which would be easier for sure. But I would have to think that going into AT&T on a slow day and having the number switched over would probably be a better experience. As far as I understand, neither AT&T or Verizon are offering subsidized iPhones for signing a 2 year contract anymore. You'll either have to pay for the phone in cash or sign up for an installment plan. If you're doing the installment plan, I'm going to highly suggest going through Apple for that. Their program has 2 main advantages to the carrier plans. First, it includes the upgraded AppleCare+ for free, meaning you won't need insurance on the phone. And second, it allows you to get a new phone every year. It's a little more of a hassle because you have to go to a store to sign the paperwork. But I think it's worth it.
PSULion22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 12:45 PM   #3
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSULion22 View Post
I'm getting it, but then again, I get the new one every year.

The camera is just too intriuging to pass up. If this system works (LG tried but their system just didn't work right), it's really going to revolutionize cell phone cameras. It may be enough for me to finally just drop the DSLR.
I actually wondered if that would be possible! I don't do as much with the DSLR as I used. It's certainly too much for a park trip.

Quote:
In terms of size, I went from a 5S to a 6 Plus. It was wayyyyyy too big. . .for about 5 minutes. Now I can't imagine using anything smaller. My dad's 5S looks like a little kid's toy to me. One of my coworkers got the 6 when it came out. He returned it for a 6 Plus when he saw mine. I was concerned about basic handling and one handed usage, but even that isn't a problem for me (and I have small hands). I also keep mine in my front pocket and haven't had any issues with that either.
That's all good to hear. I've seen some Android phablets that really look huge, but I'm not sure the iPhone # Plus is that size. Besides, I can get it in black, which, of course, is slimming.

One hand use really isn't an issue for me. In most cases, I'm using two hands already.

My organist has a 5s still (and I've always had the s model until now). I can't believe I was once happy with that size.

Quote:
I can't say which would be easier for sure. But I would have to think that going into AT&T on a slow day and having the number switched over would probably be a better experience.
I'm thinking so, too. I wasn't sure if anybody could say for certain. If I didn't care about porting my number, there wouldn't be a hiccup, most likely.

Quote:
As far as I understand, neither AT&T or Verizon are offering subsidized iPhones for signing a 2 year contract anymore. You'll either have to pay for the phone in cash or sign up for an installment plan.
Most definitely. I did that last year. I don't like the strings that come with the installment plans from the carriers.

I'm going to the Apple Store today to hand-test the 6 Plus as a point of reference for the 7 Plus. There's an ATT store right near by so I'll probably just switch carriers today instead of next week.

I don't dislike Verizon, but every time I've traveled internationally, I've had issues despite doing everything I was supposed to make the phone work on an international GSM network. I've got 2-3 international trips coming up in the next 18 months and I don't want the grief. I started out with AT&T when the first iPhone came out, so I don't mind going back, especially now that there network is more fully upgraded.

Dirk

Old 09-08-2016, 03:17 PM   #4
Ludwig von Chuck
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSULion22 View Post
. . and I have small hands . . .
Like Rubio has small hands?

BRV owners since 2009

First trip: Nov 76 at PVR for my 8th birthday
Last trip: Feb 20 at SSR for DVC MM at AK
Next trip: Apr 20 at BLT for DVC MM at MK (not likely )

Moonlight Magic: AK x3, MK x2, Epcot x2, DHS x2, and TL x2
Ludwig von Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 06:18 PM   #5
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludwig von Chuck View Post
Like Rubio has small hands?
Hey, we have a thread for that!

Dirk

Old 09-08-2016, 06:20 PM   #6
carolina_yankee
Administrator

A trip to the Apple Store convinced me that the plus model will be perfectly fine. Even Apple advised me to switch carriers before next Friday since their servers will be overloaded with all the new phones. They said the more you could do it advance, the better off you would be. So we went over to the AT&T store next-door and got it all done in 10 minutes.

Now all we have to do is to place our reservations to pick up the new phones next Friday at Apple!

Dirk

Old 09-08-2016, 08:40 PM   #7
TW1
Founding Member

DW is in. In the state, they offered her $250 for her current 6S.

Me, I'll wait a year, but I am excited about the watch's new operating system.
TW1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 08:43 PM   #8
brp
Add-on Aficionado

I may well use this opportunity (introduction of the 7) to get a 6s cheap(er). Of course, waiting for 8 and getting 7 would fit our pattern.

Started at 3, got 5 when 6 came out....but still may only wait for 7 to get 6.

Cheers.
Old 09-08-2016, 08:57 PM   #9
TW1
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brp View Post
I may well use this opportunity (introduction of the 7) to get a 6s cheap(er). Of course, waiting for 8 and getting 7 would fit our pattern.

Started at 3, got 5 when 6 came out....but still may only wait for 7 to get 6.

Cheers.
A perfectly good strategy.
TW1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 09:58 PM   #10
Brian5581
Add-on Aficionado

Yep, I'm upgrading to 7 Plus as well. I signed up for the AT&T Next thing last year precisely because I couldn't stand the upgrade debate every year and figured might as well not have to deal with it and just get a new phone "automatically"...

I should look into that Apple program, but signed up with AT&T Next prior to it being announced.

Still grandfathered in to unlimited data, so can't really complain.

Oh, and as previously stated, the Plus version seemed large for about five minutes, haha. Now I can't imagine smaller.

Last edited by Brian5581; 09-08-2016 at 11:15 PM.
Brian5581 is online now   Reply With Quote