home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP REPORTS > Trip Reports
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05-01-2019, 04:49 PM   #1
NyNcOkw
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Default Mom, can you make it happen TR (AP event, Magic Moment, FP+ and more)

This was a quick but special trip. It was a mom/son trip, a special request from my 12 y/o (Mom, can you make it happen….). A few tidbits from this trip:

Travel Dates: Friday-Tues, April 26-30th

Southwest: What a nightmare! Very long story short. Original flight booked was to depart from RDU (Raleigh/Durham) to MCO at 7:30 PM, DIRECT flight. Direct flight cancelled with less than 24 hour notice. Tried to rebook, nothing. Called, was rebooked on a connecting flight through Baltimore midafternoon on Fri = work and school impact. OK. Checked in – seated on the plane, announcement comes, all flights to Baltimore cancelled. No way to get to Orlando until sat or sun per the airlines. Small tears from my 12 y/o, he was really excited about this particular trip, just the 2 of us (he loves Disney and no big brother to boss him around), a special request from a kid that does not ask for very much. I checked the board and found a direct Tampa flight leaving within the hour, I told them to book me on that flight and transfer my luggage (this trip was going to happen)!!

Rental Car: Booked last minute car rental due to flight change through SW app. $19 last minute deal for 24 hours (+ I added the insurance for add $25). Not bad. I requested to drop the car off at the WDW car care center located at MK entrance next day, no problems. Alamo shuttled us back to resort. This was awesome to avoid driving back to the airport (Alamo and National are the 2 rental companies at the WDW car care center located at MK).

Tampa to Orlando Drive: Not bad. It could’ve been a lot worse, traffic was light (stop and go for a few miles). We left Tampa around 8:15 pm and arrived at PQFQ around 10 pm.

Luggage and SW counter: Lost. Could be in Tampa or Orlando, no one knew…really! This was my breaking point with SW and travel this day and I travel for a living and I’m normally ok with this stuff but I was really tired at this point (and this was my vacation)!

Resort Check In: CM took some time and came back and actually said luggage was just scanned in 2 minutes ago at MCO. Maybe our luck is starting to change! CM was awesome!

Resort: We were point poor so we stayed at POFQ with AP discount. Loved it. Made things so easy with a decent QS open late, lots of tween options, mickey beignets! This resort had great ambiance, super CMs, small, charming, nice boat ride to DS. Will be back here for sure. Did I mention that we Loved it!

Crowds: Our trip started at the tail end of spring break. The parks were crowded but not insane. I would say they were about a “7” for the majority of our stay.

Weather: Amazing. We normally get LOTS of rain, anytime of the year that we go, including Jan trips. I have to say, good weather really makes a difference for us.

Dapper Day: Who knew about this? My son and I kept saying, wow, everyone seems so dressed up this trip, it was different than other trips. Came home and DH told me it was Dapper Weekend, didn’t you know, like he was some expert…lol. It was neat to see and made for a certain creative, Disney vibe that was cool. I had never heard of Dapper Day until now.

Water Park Day: Spent 2-3 hours in Typhon Lagoon, place was empty at 2 pm, wave pool was warmer than our typical summer trips. Fun for a quick trip. Glad to see the direct bus service back to the WPs.

Buses: Better on this trip than others. Love the Disney bus times found on the My Disney app. It was very helpful.

Security Checks: More annoying on this trip than others. Don’t know why, maybe since they woke us from naps twice on this short trip!

Park Hours: With extended MK hours to midnight on Sat and the AP event that went to 1 am on Sunday, it made me realize how much I really miss the extended MK hours from the past (not EMH but longer regular park hours). It really changed how we enjoyed the parks and gave us so much more time to be flexible with our day. Of all the things that have changed/disappeared over the last few years, I think the shortened park hours (especially for summers in MK when we typically travel for a long trip) are really missed.

AP Event, Sunday, April 29th: Amazing! Empty Park. Enough said. I always miss the DVC events. We got lucky with the AP event. 25-35 minute wait for Mine Train and Big Thunder, everything else was a walk on including Space Mtn. Nice job Disney (I know that they limited the number of tickets for this event and it was evident).

FP+ update: For those who followed along with my FP drama earlier this month . Due to a glitch in the system, I was unable to book more than 1 set of fast passes for 2 trips within 60 days (I have a post somewhere on MO about this). I was only able to book FP for my DH and DS for a long trip in June (who did not attend this trip) and I was not able to book any FP+ for a June trip for me and my DS who went on this trip since you could not book FP+ for more than 1 trip within 60 days (both onsite resort stays). Update: I wrote to George Kalogridis and to DVC, never did hear from George or his team but I did hear from a DVC rep who took care of us… Kuddos…. They booked all of our needed FPs for our June trip as needed to match up with DH/DS. They made it right…

Magic Moment: So my husband loves the Gurgling Suitcase (GS) at OKW and we both belong the GS Facebook page. It was the night before we were to leave, around 10 pm and I get a Facebook update with a picture of cool new GS shirt that just arrived at OKW and they were going quick…. I was looking for a souvenir for my husband all weekend and this was it!! Now, how to get one with no car, it’s late, we are leaving the next day. Another long story short. Went to the POFQ gift shop, spoke with a CM, they took down some information. The CM said that she would stop at OKW on her way in the next day and see if she could find one. I received a text an hour before we were to board the magical express that a GS shirt was waiting for us in the gift shop. Stop in, they retrieve it right away and a CM said it was “taken care of, it was on Mickey”. Not only did they get us the shirt, they did not charge us for it. Wow. I took down a few CM names and I will send an email to make sure that they are recognized. Just wow.

In general, we had an incredible trip. Felt a bit spoiled with the AP event and magic moment. I told the family that we were taking a break after our 10 day trip in June and not renewing APs this year (partly since I think it’s time for a break to do a few other things and I don’t want to deal with SW crowds but partly I was getting frustrated as well with a few things). After this trip, my son was asking if we could do this again next year, just me and him, hummm…. Let’s see if our year off happens.
NyNcOkw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 06:32 PM   #2
disneyteach
Grand Villa

Wow, sounds like a fantastic trip! My son turns 10 in July and I was just thinking to myself today that I would love to make a short trip happen for just the two of us over his birthday. We're pretty flexible in the summer and I would love to just wake up one morning and say Surprise! We're going to Disney! Not sure it will actually happen (we're headed for our summer trip on the 23rd, which is just a couple of weeks later) but it's definitely in my mind...
disneyteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 06:51 PM   #3
mustinjourney
Grand Villa

despite the poor start, sounds like it was still awesome! So much better to overcome a bad start and finish strong than great start and horrible finish.

My only question was how did they get your luggage to MCO if SW couldn't get you there? Did they send your bags on another airline?
mustinjourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 07:18 PM   #4
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Sorry about the poor start. We often fly into BWI to visit family and I swear they are horrible if it storms in the littlest bit with cancelling and delaying flights.

The drive to WDW from Tampa isn't too bad (we do often visiting other family) but sorry that was your only option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustinjourney View Post
My only question was how did they get your luggage to MCO if SW couldn't get you there? Did they send your bags on another airline?
There are other flights that go to Orlando from SW likely. They can still put baggage on if the flight is booked.
Old 05-01-2019, 09:09 PM   #5
ealvarado8899
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyNcOkw View Post

Dapper Day: Who knew about this? My son and I kept saying, wow, everyone seems so dressed up this trip, it was different than other trips. Came home and DH told me it was Dapper Weekend, didn’t you know, like he was some expert…lol. It was neat to see and made for a certain creative, Disney vibe that was cool. I had never heard of Dapper Day until now.
We have been talking about going, and participating, in this event for a few years. Being fairly threadbare, i doubt I will ever participate but it sounds like a ball.

Quote:

Magic Moment: So my husband loves the Gurgling Suitcase (GS) at OKW and we both belong the GS Facebook page. It was the night before we were to leave, around 10 pm and I get a Facebook update with a picture of cool new GS shirt that just arrived at OKW and they were going quick…. I was looking for a souvenir for my husband all weekend and this was it!! Now, how to get one with no car, it’s late, we are leaving the next day. Another long story short. Went to the POFQ gift shop, spoke with a CM, they took down some information. The CM said that she would stop at OKW on her way in the next day and see if she could find one. I received a text an hour before we were to board the magical express that a GS shirt was waiting for us in the gift shop. Stop in, they retrieve it right away and a CM said it was “taken care of, it was on Mickey”. Not only did they get us the shirt, they did not charge us for it. Wow. I took down a few CM names and I will send an email to make sure that they are recognized. Just wow.
This is what makes Disney, Disney. I read all the disgruntled stories but my personal experience has always been like this (not to this extent). I love the fact you shared it, wonderful story.
----------------------------------------------------
ealvarado8899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 10:35 PM   #6
Brian5581
Add-on Aficionado

Thanks for the summary, glad it turned into a wonderful trip.
Brian5581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 10:57 PM   #7
Jedimom3
Grand Villa

what a wonderful trip despite the first part. SOOO glad you made it happen for you and your son. Sounds like it was really extra special for him!

Great to hear about all the fun with the AP event and the FP issues getting resolved for y'all. That is a crazy system for sure if one wants to make trips close together. So wonderful y'all got that extra pixie dust at the end. Definitely give a shout out to the CMs, email or twitter or something!

Thanks again for sharing all the fun, and so glad y'all had a good trip!!!
Jedimom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 08:54 AM   #8
cpnkirk
Grand Villa

Quote:

I had heard of it in the past, but never really thought much of it (I don't dress up for much of anything, much less Disney!)...but we stumbled into it at Epcot in '17 and it was so much fun seeing everyone dressed up. We really enjoyed it and took several pictures.
cpnkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 12:45 PM   #9
Boundin'
Grand Villa

I'm glad it all turned out well in the end. Those CMs really went the extra mile. Some of them are such sweethearts.

Anyway we all know, moms can do anything.

Bippity Boppity Boo Muthafu@$as!

My Disney Photography https://www.flickr.com/photos/rt_images/

BCV BWV BLT VGC
Boundin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 04:36 PM   #10
goldilocks_63
Grand Villa

Talking Best parent ever

Your son will remember his special 1-1 trip with you forever.

Glad you got some pixie dust and trip went better after initial sw troubles.

Goldi
goldilocks_63 is offline   Reply With Quote