home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > JUST FOR FUN > Photography and Technology
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 11-30-2008, 07:13 AM   #1
cleocat30
Studio

Default Digital Camera recommendations

We just returned from 6 days at Disney and I've been thinking about my digital camera a lot. I have a sony cybershot w100. It takes beautiful pictures, but it seems to take forever to focus when taking pictures of anything moving (which is 90% of WDW). I also have mixed results with the low light settings. I really want to get good shots of SpectroMagic (both moving and night) and Wishes. I got a few, but purely by accident.

So...I'm thinking of giving this camera to my daughter and getting a new one for myself. I'd love something that has good results with moving targets and low light (without flash). I also would like a compact or ultra compact.

What do you have? What do you love/hate about it?

Thanks!

Lisa
cleocat30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 08:53 AM   #2
carolina_yankee
Administrator

I'm a big fan of Canon cameras I've moved on to the digital SLR line up, but I still use my old Powershot S70. I've gotten some good Spectro shots with is.

They've long since moved on to better models:

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...categoryid=113

The S5 IS and sister cameras are very flexible and reasonable in low-light setting for a point and shoot. (You basically need something with decent auto-focus and good ISO options). Image Stabilization is nice, and more the norm now, but it won't do well with a moving object. It stabilizes the camera, not the world around it. It also only buys you 2-3 stops of additional stability so it's not a miracle worker, but good for stills indoors or at dusk or dawn.

For thorough, 3rd party reviews, see Steves-digicams.com here:
http://www.steves-digicams.com/hardware_reviews.html

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 09:13 AM   #3
I'mNoPrince
Grand Villa

Another trick is to use a small tripod . We use one that can strap to a small rail or pole, it also has legs for sitting n a table,wall,or even the trashcans at WDW.

I also use the Timer but that takes some getting use to for the fireworks .

We use a Panasonic Lumix FX-07 and are very pleased.

BCV

MK

MVMCP
Old 11-30-2008, 09:22 AM   #4
salmoneous
Add-on Aficionado

I have a Panasonic TZ5. I love the 10x optical zoom in a small camera. The extra zoom really makes a difference. But whatever camera you go with - even your current one - can take better pictures with a few easy steps on your part.

First, get a small tripod. It's really the only way to get good pictures of wishes/spectro etc. Practice a bit with it before Disney, using the self-timer, etc.

Second, since no small camera can focus all that quickly, practice "pre-focusing". Get the shot all set up in the camera by looking at something a similar distance as the picture you anticipate taking and half pressing the shutter. Then fully press when your target comes into view.
salmoneous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 10:30 AM   #5
Daitcher
Add-on Aficionado

We are Cannon fans. You can't go wrong with a Cannon when you factor in price, quality of picutures, ease of use and durabiltiy.

DAVE
Daitcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 12:00 PM   #6
JRandAJsMom
Studio

Count another one in for Canon. My brother has one and I loved it, so I had my DH take some pics with it at my brother's wedding at the beginning of this month so he would love it too Must have worked cuz by last week we had one delivered on our doorstep :-) We are major deal hunters and we got one with a package that included one 4 and one 8 memory card, a few extra lenses, a tripod, a backpack, a professional hard case and a few other odds and ends for $700 on eBay. But we are very careful who we buy from on there-- we made sure that we researched the items in the package (some have cheaper lenses-- make sure they are Canon) and that the seller had 100% positive feedback. With a big ticket item like that, you don't want to get scammed!!! In the end, it was a WONDERFUL deal and we got what would have cost about $1400 at Best Buy for half the cost... I can't wait to use it on our first Disney cruise in February :-)

JRandAJsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 02:15 PM   #7
TikiTwinsDad
Grand Villa

Smile We love our Sony

I just got back myself last month. Used a new Sony DSC-T700. Huge hard drive that doesn't require a card, giant touch screen and 12 different modes plus lots of auto settings. It took some great fireworks & castle pics at night, though, I suggest getting at least a table top tripod for night pics.

If you go to my trip report here, you will see a lot of pics and I discuss the camera a bit: http://www.mouseowners.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=18731

Editted to add - the camera is tiny, too, plus with no viewfinder or wheel and a touch screen, it's fabulous. It's much faster than my prior sony & kodaks, too.
- Ryan/TTD, MOD #6 & Owner @ VWL, BCV and VGC

Current TR: MNSSHP & New Fantasyland Picture-filled Report in Progress

Prior TR: Aulani-Carsland Phototastic Report

UPCOMING TRIPS:
2. WDW AKV with in-laws 11/24 to 12/1
3. VWL and BCV 6/21 to 6/29

Past trips: 12 trips to WDW & 2 trips to DL between 1980 & 2006 before the twins. Post-twins 17 trips to WDW, 2 to DL, 1 to Aulani and 1 to DLRP

Last edited by TikiTwinsDad; 11-30-2008 at 02:34 PM.
TikiTwinsDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 02:18 PM   #8
drowells
Studio

You'll get a lot of different preferences here but it looks like the majority of the people here prefer Canon, and I am in the same camp. I was in the same situation a year ago. I was torn between a P&S or DSLR. I wanted the power and control of the DSLR but I also wanted to keep it compact. (I had a 35mm SLR before and tired of lugging it around in the parks. primary reason i switched to P&S) after alot of reading reviews from everywhere I could find on the web I ended up with the Canon PowerShot G9. It has all the manual control you may want if you choose or just leave it on full auto.

I have not regretted my choice it in the least. It starts up fast, focus is fast. It can shoot in RAW format (one of the few P&S that can). Canon recently released the G10 that has a few more enhancements.

Regarding the tripod (a must have) I found the Gorillapod by Joby (web site link) to be fantastic. It can adjust to all type of surface situations. Your not limited to a relatively flat surface.

An excellent site for camera reviews is at dpreview.com. Very thorough reviews technically as wells a sample pictures to see for yourself.

Hope that helps.

Dave

drowells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 02:30 PM   #9
Bork Bork
Two Bedroom

We took a Canon EOS Digital Rebel xTi to WDW for our first trip last April. We got the Canon because we could use the Tamron 80-200 mm lens from our 35mm Rebel. I need to learn more about the features, but it takes great pictures.

If I could figure out how to upload pics, I'd do it.

Eric
April 2008-Offsite
April 2009-SSR
Dec 2009-BCV/AKV Jambo
June 2010-AKV Kidani
June 2011-Paradise Pier
January 2013-OKW
June 2014-HHI

Bork Bork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 02:33 PM   #10
TikiTwinsDad
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by drowells View Post
An excellent site for camera reviews is at dpreview.com. Very thorough reviews technically as wells a sample pictures to see for yourself.

Hope that helps.

Dave
I second that recommendation of a site for camera reviews.
- Ryan/TTD, MOD #6 & Owner @ VWL, BCV and VGC

Current TR: MNSSHP & New Fantasyland Picture-filled Report in Progress

Prior TR: Aulani-Carsland Phototastic Report

UPCOMING TRIPS:
2. WDW AKV with in-laws 11/24 to 12/1
3. VWL and BCV 6/21 to 6/29

Past trips: 12 trips to WDW & 2 trips to DL between 1980 & 2006 before the twins. Post-twins 17 trips to WDW, 2 to DL, 1 to Aulani and 1 to DLRP
TikiTwinsDad is offline   Reply With Quote