home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > JUST FOR FUN > Photography and Technology
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 12-30-2010, 04:06 PM   #21
salmoneous
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVC Mike View Post
Together, Nikon and Canon own about 80% of the DSLR market, and they both have excellent camera systems (including range of lenses/flashes).
Exactly. Once you get up into this range, it's all about the photographer. Either will allow you to take the best pictures you are capable of.

So how to choose? Price. Feel. Association with Maria Sharapova. Whatever works for you.
salmoneous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 05:02 PM   #22
carolina_yankee
Administrator

I agree with Mike's recommended list of possibilities. I'm a Canon person, so I would lean towards the T2i or the 60D. I have the 40D and am seriously considering selling it for the T2i since it has newer technology for the censor and does HD Video.

Normally, I would discourage going for the $1400 range cameras unless you need the faster shot capacity (6 per second instead of 3.x per second) or need a stronger body. I went with the 40D over the Rebel line-up because I wanted a camera that could handle 2 months in South Africa. Turns out, I needed the stronger body for NYC, instead. The metal body on the 40D survived my tumble on Wall St just fine, while the Rebel (or another plastic body) would have been severely damaged.

Both Canons and Nikons will take excellent pictures. There aren't very many reasons to choose one over the other except for subjective preferences.

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 02:33 AM   #23
ghafler
Grand Villa

We were headed right to the Nikon 5000 until my wife picked up a Nikon P100. It is a cross-over with an incredible 26x zoom. The only downside is it takes poor low light pictures. But at 400, it has a lot to offer.

22 Disney stays and counting at the Contemporary, Grand Floridian (Honeymoon), Boardwalk, Swan, Dolphin, Animal Kingdom Lodge (1st Trip with kids), Saratoga Springs, Kidani Village and the Villas at Disney's Grand Floridian. 4 Disney cruises on the Dream and Fantasy. My 1st Walt Disney World Visit was in June '72 and the Most Crowded visit was on July 4th 1976.
ghafler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 03:53 AM   #24
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO52236 View Post
My bad, meant to say a700 (should have known since that is what I have), guess from reading too many photo rumor sites about upcoming camera models. Glad to know you still like the a850 gives me something to look work towards.
I knew we had talked about both but couldn't tell which you meant with the A750! I'm sure one of those will appear soon though! The A700 still is the camera that was practically perfect but I was lured by the full frame. Love it though - it's pretty much the A700 - just a little bigger and a heavier. Articulating screens are nice though - maybe the A750?! Or A950?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by burcs View Post
*drool*. i want a full frame.

one day, it will be mine. oh yes - it will be mine.
Old 12-31-2010, 11:39 AM   #25
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Default Canon dSLR Contenders

B&H PhotoVideo has a three part video summary of the three main dSLR contenders.

EOS Rebel T2i (550d)

EOS 60D

EOS 7D

http://www.video.bhphotovideo.com?fr...90ad129185522d

There are actually three parts, so if you co to B&H's video page, and do a search on T2i in the Video Search box, the three parts will be the first returned. Total viewing time is over an hour, so they give you a good review of each camera, and what to think about when making your choices (focusing as much on the "character" of each camera as the actual features, to help you determine which would fit your lifestyle).

If you do a search on Nikon, you will also get some good video returns, but not as detailed as the Canon 3 model comparison.

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 01:00 PM   #26
DVC Data

Here are links to detailed reviews on Digital Photography Review.

Nikon D3100

Canon T2i

Nikon D90

Canon 60D

Nikon D7000
DVC Data is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 03:48 PM   #27
JimP
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO52236 View Post
Not sure anyone mentioned this before but another consideration about any DSLR purchase will be the cost of glass and the options available. Not sure what type of camera you had before and if it was a SLR/DSLR - if you already have an investment in glass then your decision about the new body might be easier.

Another item to think about is image stabilization - Cannon and Nikon use image stabilization in the lenses while Sony and Pentax have the image stabilization built into the camera body - one would think that would make their lenses cheaper but that is not necessarily the case.

But, as everyone has said - try several out and see which one feels the best to you.
Back when I was a newlywed and a poor airman in the USAF... I bought my first SLR (Canon AE1) because my hiking buddy owned a lot of nice Canon lenses that I could borrow. That was a great choice.

Later when I moved back to my home town... I sold my Canon and bought a Nikon N8808 because I lived next to my pro-photographer uncle who had an arsenal of Nikon lenses that I could borrow. That was a great choice.

Over the years, I slowly added a few extra lenses of my own, and I pretty much committed myself to be a Nikon guy at that point.

Enter the digital era. At first I used P&S digital cameras, along with my trusty film SLR... but I finally broke down on my last sabbatical and bought my first (and still current) D100 DSLR. I stayed with Nikon because of my investment in lenses. This was an OK choice (I do like Nikon)... but in the end, it was not necessarily in the same class of great choices that I had made earlier.

What I found out was that as time went on... I ended up replacing 100% of my existing Nikon lenses with new Nikon lenses... mostly because of my desire for VR... or the need to get a super wide angle because of my 0.7 sized sensor. In the end... I really did not need to stay with Nikon... but I am not disappointed in my choice.

However... The real point of this post is to re-inforce the point made in the quote above. The real cost of a DSLR is in the glass... not the camera body.

/Jim

Look Dad, they're building a new one!!!
Quote (in jest) by: DS, DD#1, DD#2, Circa 2003

Annual pass holders since 1989
Click here to visit my family website
JimP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 04:39 PM   #28
JimP
Grand Villa

As stated in my last reply... I am a Nikon person, and I am not planning to change that because of my existing lenses.

I really really Really REALLY want to buy a new DSLR... but there is just one single thing stopping me. To the best of my knowledge Nikon has not released a DSLR body with an integral GPS... and it torques me off to no end that they haven't. I decided that I am simply not going to replace my DSLR until this is fixed.

I also do not think that this is just a Nikon problem... it seems to be an industry wide problem. The lack of integral GPS support by the traditional camera companies is representative of what happens to companies that fail to see the trends in technology... and the end user benefits that result. In fact... I think this is a horrible indictment of the photo industry.

I use Apple Aperture 3 as my photo management software. This is a great piece of software and is reason enough to switch from a PC to a Mac. Each time I download my photos into Aperture... I import them into new "projects". This is also a great time to rate them (it only takes a few minutes). Right now... I also manually assign a geo-tag to each project... and then all of the pictures in that project get the same geo-tag. The problem is that you lose the granularity that an integral GPS provides. It is not a huge problem when the location is relatively small (like WDW). However, when you are traveling greater distances... it is really nice to have the geo-tagged information unique for all the photos. Even in the tight space of WDW... it is marginally useful to automatically separate your pictures from the various parks and resorts... or for trips to other places in the area.

This becomes very useful when you want to create smart albums in Aperture. For example... I can create a smart album that is defined as "All 4 or 5 star photos, taken at WDW irrespective of year". With just a couple of mouse clicks, I can publish an album that contains my best pictures selected from every WDW trip that I have ever taken from first trip in 1989 to present. From there, I can post it to the web, sync it to my iPad (which for me replaces photo albums)... display it as slideshow on my Apple TV, or publish a coffee table book.

Geotagging becomes more important for trips covering larger areas. On our last trip to Hawaii all of my pictures are manually geotagged with a single location (Maui). If I look at the world map... click on the Hawaii push-pin... all of my Hawaii pictures are instantly selected and displayed in a window. However... if they were individually geotagged... as I zoomed into Maui... I would see pushpins appear for every picture that I took while driving around the island... with their exact location on the map (including a pic of Kim and Eric standing on their lanai overlooking the ocean ). It is interesting that you will now see travel photographers take a picture... and then snap the same one with their iPhone just to get the get-tagged information captured. I refuse to do this because I think it is too labor intensive. This should be something that every camera does automatically.

I have a 10 week sabbatical this spring and we are visiting Ireland and Hawaii. I would really love to get a new DSLR prior to the trip. I'll be going to CES in Las Vegas on Monday... I really hope to see some progress in this area. If new models are released... it will only be about 5 years too late! If no new models are released... I'll probably by a new P&S or a cross-over... presumably they have integral GPS by now.

/Jim (OK, my rant is over)

Look Dad, they're building a new one!!!
Quote (in jest) by: DS, DD#1, DD#2, Circa 2003

Annual pass holders since 1989
Click here to visit my family website

Last edited by JimP; 12-31-2010 at 04:46 PM.
JimP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 04:56 PM   #29
sallyb
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathiewe View Post
Thanks for the advice everyone. Must admit that I am leaning to the Nikons -- D90 and D7000 - but that is only from reviews and I have yet to actually touch a camera.

BTW: my goal is to purchase the camera some time in June / July in time for our summer vacation to my parent's home in the 1000 Islands region of Upstate NY.

My EVO has an 8mp camera that will suffice until then but with a 3 year old, frogs, fishing, swimming, and cousins a new camera will be a must. Not to mention lake side sunsets, summer grasses with birds and butterflies, and family campfires.
1000 Islands is just up route 104 a piece from us, a beautiful place indeed!!

1983 Tokyo Disney
99 off site
2003 off site
2005 CBR
2007 Poly
2008 AKL
2009 SSR
2009 AKV/BC
2010 AKV
2010 SSR
2011 AKV
2012 SSR
2012 AKV/SSR
2013 AKV
2014, 15, SSR
2016 x2 SSR
2017 SSR
2018 AKV
2019 SSR
[/size]
sallyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 06:24 PM   #30
kathiewe
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallyb View Post
1000 Islands is just up route 104 a piece from us, a beautiful place indeed!!
Sally,

While I call Syracuse my hometown, I was born in West Webster and fist school was St Rita's, so I know the area well. Great place!

Cheers!

Kathie

Wishes happen in the most unexpected ways!!! -- Jiminy Cricket in Wishes
kathiewe is offline   Reply With Quote