home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > "Perks Pages"
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 02-14-2018, 05:53 PM   #271
dvcfan937
Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpnkirk View Post
Whenever I say "2nd class" (and I do use that term sometimes) it's definitely tongue in cheek!
I understand. I was just reading some comments on another group that I belong and boy there was an inferiority complex going there. I just don't understand what the complaining is all about. There were screaming rumors that Disney was going to close the 25pp loophole for a long time. I just surprised that it took them that long for them to raise the points threshold.
dvcfan937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 05:58 PM   #272
bradybunch
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by patch7777 View Post
My 25 direct pts at AKL came thru today, blue card baby! 1st class all the way...lol
Congratulations!! Great news!! Gives me hope that they’ll find something for us before the deadline. Enjoy!! I love AKL
bradybunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 05:59 PM   #273
Boundin'
Grand Villa

If DVC does all the things people on here are contemplating, and make themselves the Disney equivalent of a Mexican timeshare, they'll be hurting the direct business as well as the resale business. The only reason they can sell these things at the rate they do, and to multiple repeat customers, is because it's a good product with residual value. Make it just another scam and it won't appeal to the mass market that it does now.

Their strategy works in reverse. By restricting resales, they make them even cheaper and more attractive. If they pumped up resale values till they were almost in line with direct, who would buy resale? They should exercise ROFR and control the market.

My Disney Photography https://www.flickr.com/photos/rt_images/

Trip reports:
Sun, Sea, and Romance-Once Upon a Fantasy
Mickey's Very Merry Galactic Spectacular AND New Year's Eve 2017-18
The Fall of Disney 2017
A Tale of Two Views 2017
Back in the S.S.R. 2017
Universal Hard Rock- MNSSHP - HHN 2016
Spring Surprise 2016
NYE in the World 2015-16

Coming up...
5/2018 BLT-Fantasy-BWV Eastern Carib *** 9/2018 BLT-Dream-BCV Halloween on the High Seas***10/2018 A Quick Stop at Pop!***BLT-BCV 12/2018 Another New Year ***5/2019 BWV-Fantasy-BLT Western Carib

Home resorts BCV BWV BLT VGC
Boundin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 06:01 PM   #274
Mickeyfan0805
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofygrl View Post
The driving factor with DVC remains the locations of the resorts near the parks.

Now if the parks become unpopular - that would be a disaster because these resorts, while fine, are not spectacular and going to stand on their own. But the parks have been going for awhile so I don't see that happening soon either.
I entirely agree with this. While we tend to get worked up on perks changes, as we are accustomed to them and take advantage of them, I don't think most people are buying DVC for the perks. They might be the cherry on top, but they are buying for location. As long as the parks are strong, DVC demand will remain strong!
Old 02-14-2018, 06:10 PM   #275
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikthewise View Post
I assume that's after subtracting annual fees. Without doing so, my purchase of BCV in 2002 has nearly doubled in market value. Of course this is purely academic as I would never sell!
I'm just referring to the cost of the points themselves. The ability to stay 9-12 nights a year in Deluxe accommodations for about $45 a night in Annual Fees - that's damn good value!

The whole "how much do the points really cost" conversation is academic at best and intellectual masturbation at worst to me. They got me the ability to have amazing Disney vacations that I could not have had any other way. That's what I bought for, that's what I got, and if I sell, I can get more money back than I dished out in 2006. That's all that matters in my book!

Dirk
Old 02-14-2018, 06:22 PM   #276
cpnkirk
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by patch7777 View Post
My 25 direct pts at AKL came thru today, blue card baby! 1st class all the way...lol

I gave it a good shot trying to convince DW that we should jump on the 25 point bandwagon, but she wouldn't go for it. I still think we'd get the payback in APs alone...but only if we add on another contract later (as we intend to).

So, 2nd class all the way for us
March 2014, off site

cpnkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 10:21 PM   #277
uwdude
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisPoly15 View Post
This argument kills me every time. It's in the comment thread of every single Disney related post on Facebook from Disney itself or one of those terrible "10 mind blowing secrets you never knew about Disney because you're a complete idiot"

It goes the same every time "Disney is too expensive, it's not fair, it's only for the rich, I'd love to take my 17 adopted children and their pet goldfish but I can't even put bread on the table working my 3 jobs as a single mother with a missing arm"

You want to show your kids a wonderful time at a cheap cost? Take them camping in a national park. Visit national landmarks, go for a walk in the forest. Then let them dress up as princesses for play time and watch some Disney movies.

Disney is a business and just because we're all brainwashed doesn't mean they owe us anything to make it "affordable" to everyone just because it's family orientated.
I'm not saying they owe anybody anything, I'm just saying I don't like the direction they are going in starting to appeal to only premium customers. It's like the person who budgets 600 a month to have a Lexus or something, even though they don't really have the discretionary income to just purchase a Lexus. Yes they want it badly and are able to have it for a while, but then once the cost starts going up to 800 or 1000 a month, it just gets too crazy and out of reach for everyone except that 10% or so who have lots of discretionary income. And we are seeing a lot of companies going this way, appealing to that particular group because yes they can throw money away. I'm sad that Disney has decided to go that way though. I would expect it from Lexus, but Disney has always seemed more of a family appeal name, not a luxury name.
uwdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 12:37 AM   #278
disneymomof2
Grand Villa

I spoke with my guide today and - despite the fact that we have been on 3 waitlists for 6 weeks now - he states the only resort available for an immediate 25 point purchase is Aulani. Mind you, I have 2 UY and can't get 25 points anywhere but Aulani in either UY??? Well, there is CCV, but at a minimum buy in of 50 points. Seems odd.... although I've seen others indicate the same story from their guides, as well.

ME DH DS20 DD17
disneymomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 12:58 AM   #279
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneymomof2 View Post
I spoke with my guide today and - despite the fact that we have been on 3 waitlists for 6 weeks now - he states the only resort available for an immediate 25 point purchase is Aulani. Mind you, I have 2 UY and can't get 25 points anywhere but Aulani in either UY??? Well, there is CCV, but at a minimum buy in of 50 points. Seems odd.... although I've seen others indicate the same story from their guides, as well.
For the past few months I thought I had noticed reports from people calling for direct points who had to go on waitlists. And some UY's have fewer points so they come with a lower chance of DVC having them. All it takes is a ROFR'd contract or two to close so hopefully you'll get some points prior to the 25th.
Old 02-15-2018, 05:47 AM   #280
disney65
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneymomof2 View Post
Disney can easily ROFR a contract but have never seen them exercising that right just to fulfill waitlist.

My Trip Reports

2015 Spring Poly/VGF
Wishes in Pics
Christmas 2014 HHI
2015 Christmas HHI and AKL
2016 - Atlantis Spring break
disney65 is offline   Reply With Quote