home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > "Perks Pages"
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 02-11-2018, 06:16 PM   #101
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradybunch View Post
He was very clear that this is the case. Anyone who currently has full membership will continue to have full membership.
Absolutely. It is plain English. A membership card expires. Not the membership (at least not until the end of the 50 year contract). Anyone with an expiring membership card will get a new card as long as they are still members. The only way to no longer qualify is to get rid of points.

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 06:27 PM   #102
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofygrl View Post
There's something fishy about that. Either the guide is incompetent or DVC is withholding points until the 75 point requirement kicks in. I don't believe that there aren't any left in a UY at CCV. Or in another way DVC might be doing it but not so obvious. With all other resorts they've made declarations for UY's when they were running low. Now maybe they're just not going to make a new declaration until the beginning of March. Good conspiracy theory, eh?
Someone on my Facebook group said just this without knowing that the poster here said they were told no dice.

Makes me wonder hmm
Old 02-11-2018, 06:30 PM   #103
WDWGoof
Grand Villa

I know its been previously mentioned minimum buy in for a new buyer is 50, but that's not what my Sister (and I who accompanied her with the tour) was told. She was looking at CCV and Poly. One minimum was 50, but the other was 25 (can't remember which resort was which). In fact, the one that was 50 was the only resort that required that amount. The guide told her all the others she could get in as low as 25 points. Just seems like each guide has different rules they can follow to get the sale.
WDWGoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 06:32 PM   #104
JudieHopps
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol View Post
I'm pretty sure the initial minimum was 230 points.
So people who initially purchased under 230 points did not receive a membership card. No benefits at all?
Odd indeed.

But it seems so unfair to people buying direct.
I’m good. I have my benefits.
It just seems so crazy to me for those buying a new direct purchase.
I’m sure Disney is fixated on squashing the resale market for those buying direct who want to get benefits, but there are those who are just buying in and are now being snubbed?

So not right...? Can’t wrap my head around it...
JudieHopps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 06:36 PM   #105
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudieHopps View Post
So people who initially purchased under 230 points did not receive a membership card. No benefits at all?
Odd indeed.
Your misunderstanding. You had to purchase 230 points or more as a new buyer with no other points. You weren't allowed to buy less until you were a member. After you had your original 230 point membership you could add on 25 points or whatever number above that you wished to.

Benefits were different too - there weren't members without benefits. Resale, direct etc. all had the same status.

I believe the 230 points equated to something like a week during Magic season in a 2BR. Points systems were new and that's apparently where they decided to start. It was probably the equivalent of what many timeshares sold in their fixed weeks. A 2BR for a week.
Old 02-11-2018, 06:37 PM   #106
BWV Dreamin
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Odd indeed.

But it seems so unfair to people buying direct.
I’m good. I have my benefits.
It just seems so crazy to me for those buying a new direct purchase.
I’m sure Disney is fixated on squashing the resale market for those buying direct who want to get benefits, but there are those who are just buying in and are now being snubbed?

So not right...? Can’t wrap my head around it...
At the start of Disney Vacation Club ( OKW) initial buy in was 230. You could not buy any fewer points, only 230. As new resorts were built, the buy in point amounts started to decrease. ( What Goofygrl said)
Old 02-11-2018, 06:37 PM   #107
TexasChick
Grand Villa

A strong resale market is necessary for DVD for a number of reasons. This helps with sales, justifies their higher direct prices, etc. My guess is that they are tired of “fooling with” the 25-point add-ons, and this is simply a money grab. Who knows? Maybe they did some calculations, and they’re somehow either losing money or not making enough to be deemed acceptable for all the work it takes to sell the 25-point contracts versus the savings you’re receiving with the membership extras. Either way, Disney isn’t looking to abolish the resale market, but they are trying to capitalize on a strong economy with higher direct prices and higher minimums for perks which some buyers deem completely necessary for ownership.
Old 02-11-2018, 06:54 PM   #108
cpnkirk
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasChick View Post
A strong resale market is necessary for DVD for a number of reasons. This helps with sales, justifies their higher direct prices, etc. My guess is that they are tired of “fooling with” the 25-point add-ons, and this is simply a money grab. Who knows? Maybe they did some calculations, and they’re somehow either losing money or not making enough to be deemed acceptable for all the work it takes to sell the 25-point contracts versus the savings you’re receiving with the membership extras. Either way, Disney isn’t looking to abolish the resale market, but they are trying to capitalize on a strong economy with higher direct prices and higher minimums for perks which some buyers deem completely necessary for ownership.

I would never have bought anything at all if it weren't for the resale market. One of the biggest drawbacks of timeshares as I had always understood them was getting stuck with a yearly bill on something you no longer wanted to own.
Nov 2017 BWV/BRV/AKV
Dec 2016, POR
March 2014, off site

cpnkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 06:56 PM   #109
JudieHopps
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofygrl View Post
Your misunderstanding. You had to purchase 230 points or more as a new buyer with no other points. You weren't allowed to buy less until you were a member. After you had your original 230 point membership you could add on 25 points or whatever number above that you wished to.

Benefits were different too - there weren't members without benefits. Resale, direct etc. all had the same status.

I believe the 230 points equated to something like a week during Magic season in a 2BR. Points systems were new and that's apparently where they decided to start. It was probably the equivalent of what many timeshares sold in their fixed weeks. A 2BR for a week.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWV Dreamin View Post
At the start of Disney Vacation Club ( OKW) initial buy in was 230. You could not buy any fewer points, only 230. As new resorts were built, the buy in point amounts started to decrease. ( What Goofygrl said)
Ohh... so I did misunderstand. I did not know the initial buy in price. So I guess this is better than that after all. I still feel bad for the new direct purchase people.

It’s a defense mechanism I guess I have to protect the “club”? I’m still a fan and appreciate all my benefits, I guess I wish the same for others.

But, thank you for explaining it better to me.
It’s all ever changing isn’t it
JudieHopps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 07:06 PM   #110
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Ohh... so I did misunderstand. I did not know the initial buy in price. So I guess this is better than that after all. I still feel bad for the new direct purchase people.

It’s a defense mechanism I guess I have to protect the “club”? I’m still a fan and appreciate all my benefits, I guess I wish the same for others.

But, thank you for explaining it better to me.
It’s all ever changing isn’t it
I personally would have no issue if all resale buyers still received all perks. That new resale buyers can't even pay cash to go on the member cruise if they wanted to is just wrong IMO. If you're going to call yourself a club then be a club. Maybe time to change the name.