home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Transportation
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 11-14-2018, 07:58 PM   #1
Rigby
Two Bedroom

Default VGF To Port Canaveral For 7?

Hi! In March a group of 7 of us, 4 adults and 3 kids, will need a ride to our cruise. Years ago I used Pegasus, I think, and they were ok but not great. Does anyone have a recommendation? The kids can all use booster seats. Do companies ever provide them? Also, is it possible to use Disney transportation one way from the port to MCO? Thanks!
Old 11-14-2018, 08:26 PM   #2
disney65
Add-on Aficionado

I have done one way car rental for a family of 5. No kids in booster seats.

My Trip Reports

2015 Spring Poly/VGF
Wishes in Pics
Christmas 2014 HHI
2015 Christmas HHI and AKL
2016 - Atlantis Spring break
disney65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 09:05 PM   #3
BuffaloJim
One Bedroom

I was thinking a one way minivan, but I donít think it would be significantly cheaper than taking the Disney bus. It might even be more expensive. And you definitely have to deal with the minor hassle of renting it and dropping it off.

Iím getting a one way rental from MCO to the Disney dock for our February trip, but Iím going to be using the car for three days before the cruise. On the way back to WDW, Iím going to take the Disney bus.
BuffaloJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 04:02 AM   #4
aznosredna
Two Bedroom

We always use Quicksilver Trans and get a Van. Highly recommend them.
aznosredna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 09:50 AM   #5
Rigby
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznosredna View Post
We always use Quicksilver Trans and get a Van. Highly recommend them.
Thanks! We're hoping we can all go in the same vehicle but I didn't know if it was possible. I'll check them out
Old 11-15-2018, 09:53 AM   #6
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigby View Post
Hi! In March a group of 7 of us, 4 adults and 3 kids, will need a ride to our cruise. Years ago I used Pegasus, I think, and they were ok but not great. Does anyone have a recommendation? The kids can all use booster seats. Do companies ever provide them? Also, is it possible to use Disney transportation one way from the port to MCO? Thanks!
You can book Disney transportation one way or both ways, I believe it's $35 per person each way. The nice thing about Disney transportation, though, is that you can check your bags through from the ship to the airport, so you don't need to handle them at the airport.

If you use Disney transport from WDW, you also have the advantage of entertainment for the kids on the video monitors rather than a long, boring drive. It's only an hour or so, but for a kid, that's an eternity!

If you're looking for cheapest, that gets dicey - Disney transport will be $245 each way for a party of 7. A van rental will be less, but more hassle. A car service will probably be about the same price, maybe more. Have to figure out what your goals are - minimizing costs, maximizing convenience, etc.

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 10:09 AM   #7
Rigby
Two Bedroom

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
You can book Disney transportation one way or both ways, I believe it's $35 per person each way. The nice thing about Disney transportation, though, is that you can check your bags through from the ship to the airport, so you don't need to handle them at the airport.

If you use Disney transport from WDW, you also have the advantage of entertainment for the kids on the video monitors rather than a long, boring drive. It's only an hour or so, but for a kid, that's an eternity!

If you're looking for cheapest, that gets dicey - Disney transport will be $245 each way for a party of 7. A van rental will be less, but more hassle. A car service will probably be about the same price, maybe more. Have to figure out what your goals are - minimizing costs, maximizing convenience, etc.

Dirk
I've read that if you take Disney transports to the port you're given a boarding number and sometimes you wait and wait while people arriving after you are allowed to board. That would drive me bananas! I'm thinking for the cost we could get a private ride with a driver. That's great to know about the one way option. We've used private companies before and waiting for them after the cruise isn't any fun. Thinking Disney will be the way to go for getting back to MCO. Thanks!
Old 11-15-2018, 10:23 AM   #8
Mickeyfan0805
Grand Villa

We are a family of 5. On our last cruise we used Happy Limo for the trip from WDW to the port and then rented an SUV (we had a lot of time to kill - so it gave us some better options) for the drive from the port to the airport.

Happy Limo can provide a van for $189 plus tip (20% is recommended), which would still be less than the Disney transport fare. We found that to be the perfect way to go. We splurged to get a limo (wasn't that much more) as a special treat for the kids - but the option of being picked up at the resort and driven straight to the port for an earlier port arrival time was wonderful.

The options for after depend a lot on what your timeframe looks like. We had a day to kill (flight didn't leaver until evening), so a one-way car rental was cheaper and well worth the minor hassle. If you need to make an earlier flight, Disney transport would be the easiest by far.
Old 11-15-2018, 10:27 AM   #9
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigby View Post
I've read that if you take Disney transports to the port you're given a boarding number and sometimes you wait and wait while people arriving after you are allowed to board. That would drive me bananas! I'm thinking for the cost we could get a private ride with a driver. That's great to know about the one way option. We've used private companies before and waiting for them after the cruise isn't any fun. Thinking Disney will be the way to go for getting back to MCO. Thanks!
Admittedly I've used Disney transport once, but that hasn't been my experience. By the time you arrive, most boarding numbers have been called. I think the earliest you get to the port is around 12:30, maybe 1:00 since resort pick-ups tend to be between 11:00 and 12:00. We had no lines for check-in and did not have to wait to board. From bus to ship was 10-15 minutes (including security screening).

Now, if you do want to board early, then you need to make other arrangements. I will say that after 3 cruises out of Port Canaveral, I'm not going to worry about early arrivals. I have no problem getting there at 1 or 1:30, dropping stuff off in room, grabbing lunch in Cabanas after the crowds have died down, and settling in for the cruise.

I don't enjoy the early rush since it only gets me about an extra 60-90 minutes on the ship! I also don't enjoy the huge lines at the security scanners as everybody else arrives early, too.

If it's a short cruise, or your first cruise, then your eagerness may well override those concerns, and I understand that!

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 12:28 PM   #10
bamasrt
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Minnie Van is also available from WDW to PC, but according to this it is for up to 6 passengers.

https://disneycruiselineblog.com/201...ort-canaveral/
bamasrt is offline   Reply With Quote