home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Transportation
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 11-04-2018, 07:01 PM   #1
noreen99
Two Bedroom

Default Drive or Fly

Ok so we are taking a semi unplanned trip for thanksgiving. Originally friends of my son were supposed to meet my sons down there and explore universal but they backed out quasi last minute.

We originally tried to rent it with no luck. We decided to keep reservations and drive just after school letís out Tuesday stop in Georgia for the night and arrive Wednesday.

Just got email from Frontier r/t for 3 of us less than the cost to drive....

That leaves me with the rental car dilemma-

1. We didnít get dinning plan because we were heading to universal- so we would need to either pay transportation 5 adults round trip for 3 days or abandon althogher. Kids and I have annual passes but significant others do not plus no fast passes were made as we planned on purchasing universal express passes.

2. We would need to head out to supermarket as the plan was to do turkey dinner in villa, breakfast ect.... can you really trust instacart day before a huge food holiday?

3. This is our fourth trip this year ( not home a month from the last one ) and I blew my disney vacation budget 2 trips ago...

Most importantly I hate disney buses...feel completely guilty renting the car as I have laid out to hertz 5 times in the last 3 months.

Our Memorial Day trip was a grocery nightmare but at least we had strandard dinning plan as a back up...

How trustworthy is insta-cart or just drive to Florida as planned?
As usual all my family says is do what you want - ugh
noreen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 07:24 PM   #2
ermindy1133
Add-on Aficionado

So, in this instance, I might just drive. It sounds like your vacation will have far fewer headaches with a vehicle of your own. And you could even take some of the groceries with you if you wanted, which would free up valuable time once you get there. Either way, enjoy your trip!
Old 11-04-2018, 07:40 PM   #3
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

I like convenience, as long as I don't have pay thru the nose.

If flying is cheaper, I would fly and get the rental car (since you don't like Disney transportation). If driving is easier, then I would do that. I value time, since mine is always limited for vacations. If I can get 8 hours on both the front and back end of a trip.....I would choose that, even if it cost more.

We used uber on our last trip from the airport to Disney, and that worked very well for us.

We use Garden Grocer and they have worked very well for us. It may not be the cheapest, but they have everything we want including adult beverages.
Old 11-04-2018, 07:59 PM   #4
disneymomof2
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandrobin View Post
I like convenience, as long as I don't have pay thru the nose.

If flying is cheaper, I would fly and get the rental car (since you don't like Disney transportation). If driving is easier, then I would do that. I value time, since mine is always limited for vacations. If I can get 8 hours on both the front and back end of a trip.....I would choose that, even if it cost more.

We used uber on our last trip from the airport to Disney, and that worked very well for us.

We use Garden Grocer and they have worked very well for us. It may not be the cheapest, but they have everything we want including adult beverages.
I absolutely agree with tomandrobin....right down to garden grocer. They are all we have used because we have been very happy with their service and communication.

ME DH DS21 DD18
disneymomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 09:39 PM   #5
DVCQUEEN
Grand Villa

I donít know if I would trust Frontier over a busy winter holiday weekend.
They normally have limited flight schedules to MCO and any delay may cancel the trip.
You wonít find much on the shelves even with a car, so I would drive, take dinner with me. I donít even shop the day before Thanksgiving at home. Just nothing left and picked over.
Rental cars will be expensive and sounds like you would need larger vehicle like most families on holiday.
I would drive and enjoy being in the world over a major holiday and having a nice villa. I wouldnít stress over Fast passes or Universal this trip.
Iím traveling for Christmas and Iím driving for those reasons. All my other trips I fly.
DVCQUEEN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 10:17 PM   #6
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Driving with my crew would be a nightmare so I always say "fly" Even if I had to use uber/lyft to get around or the like I'd do that over driving.

But it sounds like you might be okay driving. And it's Frontier which isn't great here at least. No help am I?
Old 11-04-2018, 10:24 PM   #7
erikthewise
Add-on Aficionado

If you have to ask.... fly.

Charter Member of OOO (Order Of the Oval)
erikthewise is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 10:43 PM   #8
PurrfectPrincess
One Bedroom

Fly...even if it is on Frontier.
PurrfectPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 12:24 PM   #9
Mickeyfan0805
Grand Villa

Everyone has their own priorities...For me, there are few circumstances that would have me flying over Thanksgiving weekend. Those are the highest capacity travel days of the year for flights and one snowstorm in New England could cause ripples across the entire country. Add in dealing with a carrie such as Frontier and I'm that much more concerned.

There's pretty much nowhere in TN that is not within a long 1 day drive (700 miles or so), so I'd much rather have my car and just go.
Old 11-06-2018, 10:49 PM   #10
noreen99
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickeyfan0805 View Post
Everyone has their own priorities...For me, there are few circumstances that would have me flying over Thanksgiving weekend. Those are the highest capacity travel days of the year for flights and one snowstorm in New England could cause ripples across the entire country. Add in dealing with a carrie such as Frontier and I'm that much more concerned.

There's pretty much nowhere in TN that is not within a long 1 day drive (700 miles or so), so I'd much rather have my car and just go.
Wow great guess- itís actually 704 miles from our front door to OKW!

Part of the reason I finally bought in because the kids are old enough to take a turn at the wheel. To be honest we are new to flying Frontier and have had a decent experience out of BNA- so far we are liking the non-stop service from here to Trenton and also to Orlando.

Southwest has left us stranded more than once halfway home on layovers.
The worest was a few years back- flight delayed due to weather- they insisted we had to fly the first leg although there was no way to make the last connection. What should have been HOUSTON to Tampa than ISLIP became Huston to Tampa to Nashville to Baltimore and than LGA. We had pretty much given up on them after that.

Since the end of September we had done quite a bit of unplanned last minute travel for medical reasons. So we have been jumping on frontier a lot and itís been quite pleasant and surprisingly roomier than we expected.

I do prefer having my own vehicle at disney- we drove down in January and again in May and the convince is worth it. Just hope family will take a turn or two behind the wheel.
noreen99 is offline   Reply With Quote