home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Tours and Events
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05-17-2018, 09:49 PM   #1
AKluvTajjK
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Default Magic Kingdom After Hours

Hey Guys, sorry if this has been asked before Has anyone went to Disney After Hours for Magic Kingdom? I just bought tickets for June 28, 2018, my Bday is 6-27 so I'm excited, but it was hard to pay more with our annual pass (given the discount for platinum plus). Please tell me your experience and if the extra ticket cost was worth it, Thanks
AKluvTajjK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 10:29 PM   #2
MagicJourneys
Two Bedroom

We did the second one ever of these back in 2016. This was my report at the time:

After reading the reviews of the first of these events I really wanted to try this; no free invitation so we had to pay ($150 per person plus tax). The event was from 11 PM to 2 AM and we showed up at the MK right around 11. The DAH entrance was right in the middle and clearly lit, and after a few minutes delay while the CMs tracked down the lanyards we were good to go. As we were entering the park the MSEP was finishing up, but the walkway running parallel to Main Street had been opened up so we headed down it to Tomorrowland.

First stop was Astro Orbiter as it has no FP and we had not ridden it yet this trip. I was interested to see how long it would take the regular lines to die down after 11 as regular guests could still enter the lines up to that time. I was happy to see that there was no line outside the elevators, so we were able to go up quickly. There was one other group waiting to board, a mixture of DAH guests and regular guests, so our total wait ended up at around 10-15 minutes.

Next was Space Mountain. Straight through the line and literally walk-on. Interestingly some lights were on in the ride; it was not fully lit up, but there was enough light to see the track clearly, which provided a different experience from the usual (I'm pretty sure that this was unintended as opposed to some kind of special DAH feature).

We did Speedway next. Not a direct walk-on but about a 5 minute wait (there were probably about 10 people waiting on the ramp down to the cars). Next Winnie the Pooh, direct walk-on as you would expect. Same for Peter Pan (it was actually interesting to walk through the regular queue line and see the fun features, as we have only ridden Peter Pan with FP for very many years).

7DMT was almost a straight walk-on, less than a 5 minute wait. Dumbo had no wait and neither did Barnstormer (the CMs there let my daughters stay on to ride again and would have let them stay on to ride a third time if they had wanted to). BTMR was walk-on, as was the Magic Carpets and POTC (the CMs here asked us where in the boat we would like to sit, as it was almost empty). Jungle Cruise had no wait for us but we were the last to board the boat and I got the impression that the boat had been waiting there a few minutes to fill up before setting out. Final ride of the night was Splash Mountain, which we were very much alone on.

And that was the 3 hours. Obviously impossible to do all of the available attractions in that time, and it would be very hard just to do all of the rides (as opposed to wasting time with things like Laugh Floor and Mickey's Philharmagic. But it did just occur to me that doing Laugh Floor would give me an excellent chance of being picked as "that guy"....)

Weather was excellent, mild, no rain, very comfortable. And it was wonderful to be in the MK with no crowds (my daughter was able to do cartwheels down the walkways for the first time ever). Lots of people were taking advantage of the beautiful castle photo-opportunities. And the free ice creams and water were a nice bonus. Not cheap, obviously, but compared to the cost of premium VIP tour it is a bargain.

How could it be better? An extra hour would obviously be great, and making it earlier would be nice (say 9 PM - 1 AM, but this would only be feasible at the quiet times of the year). We were a little worried about whether our 10-year old would make it, but she had a good night's sleep the previous night and a couple of hot cocoas beforehand and was fine until the very end (the boats and monorail were not running so everyone had to take a bus, even to the monorail resorts).

All in all, it was a great and unique experience, not cheap, but we thought it was worth the cost. Highly recommended if (like me) you are more of a night person than a morning person and not a big fan of rope-drop. I would LOVE to see this event at Disneyland in California (where Fantasyland feels so much more cramped after the MK expansion) and also at Universal Studios.

See http://www.mouseowners.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=111068
MagicJourneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 10:53 PM   #3
AKluvTajjK
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

MagicJourneys...Thanks for your review and for the link! This helps, I feel like we have to do it at least once.
AKluvTajjK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 08:23 AM   #4
sherryberry
Grand Villa

I agree with MagicJourneys. Everything was a walk-on for sure, but I think the event should have been longer. Itís not the cheapest event so another hour or two would have been great.
sherryberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 10:19 AM   #5
poster44
Two Bedroom

I am envious. This event is one of the best times I have ever had at WDW. We did this the first year it was offered and had a great time. They offered a DVC/AP half-price ticket and we jumped on it (bl it was in April 2016.) Was sad that it might only be offered this spring and just saw the new list on the Member website earlier this week. We had planned on using our holding points in mid June, but, now, I'm haunting the RAT to try and get 7/9, so we can go then.
poster44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 10:56 AM   #6
choosymom
Two Bedroom

Default Hmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by poster44 View Post
I am envious. This event is one of the best times I have ever had at WDW. We did this the first year it was offered and had a great time. They offered a DVC/AP half-price ticket and we jumped on it (bl it was in April 2016.) Was sad that it might only be offered this spring and just saw the new list on the Member website earlier this week. We had planned on using our holding points in mid June, but, now, I'm haunting the RAT to try and get 7/9, so we can go then.
Where did you find this please? Can't locate it

choosymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 11:02 AM   #7
ermindy1133
Add-on Aficionado

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...-kingdom-park/

Hope this helps!