home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Tours and Events
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 06-07-2018, 11:06 AM   #1
FessParker1
One Bedroom

Default Soarin Members Tour

Tried to sign up for this and was told 180 + 10 so it was all booked. Web page says 180 days not + 10. Guess I'll never take it because I usually get to WDW on Sun or Mon and it will most likely always be booked.
FessParker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 11:43 AM   #2
Lolaura84
Studio

I had the same experience. The only time I was able to get in was for my January trip. At the 180 day mark, they hadn't updated the system for the new year dates, and the last inventory that was bookable by MS was for 2017. Every time I called in for something else over the next few months, I'd check about whether it was bookable yet. I lucked into it sometime in October, when they finally loaded the 2018 dates. The CM who helped me was almost more excited than I was, said that she had looked for countless members but I was the first one she was ever able to book for.
I understand that there are only 20 spots available each week, so it's hard to get a spot. And each member can book for themselves + 3, I think. When I went to the tour in January, I was shocked that after it being such a score to have gotten a reservation, there were fewer than 10 people who actually showed up. Lots of no-shows!
Lolaura84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 11:47 AM   #3
tom82097
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FessParker1 View Post
Tried to sign up for this and was told 180 + 10 so it was all booked. Web page says 180 days not + 10. Guess I'll never take it because I usually get to WDW on Sun or Mon and it will most likely always be booked.
I was told by MS that there are only 20 spots on each tour, and it books up very quickly. I managed to get 1 spot for this August.

I think this is the problem that is run into when tours/events are free. It sounds good for marketing that members get free stuff. However, I personally think a nominal charge should be applied. (Lets say $10). Or at least a deposit needs to be made. (Though I'm sure it would be expensive to process all of the credit card transactions). Maybe issue a $10 gift card at time of the event.

I got tickets to MM EPCOT at 9am yesterday, but I would be aggravated if I logged in at 9:16 and the tickets were sold out.
Old 06-07-2018, 11:51 AM   #4
Jcsquirrel
Two Bedroom

Default tour

Last year we were able to do it twice on a two week trip and we booked after teh 180, this was in the summer. I do think more people know about it now, we did not get it this year. I think it is great that it is free and they are trying to get you to sign up for other tours. What they should do is expand the number. The tour could easily take two or three times as many people. Lets be honest most people are doing it to ride soarrin without a fast pass.
Jcsquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 11:59 AM   #5
Boundin'
Grand Villa

A friend told me recently that the tour was waste of time. May as well jut book a FP

My Disney Photography https://www.flickr.com/photos/rt_images/

Trip reports:
Sun, Sea, and Romance-Once Upon a Fantasy
Mickey's Very Merry Galactic Spectacular AND New Year's Eve 2017-18
The Fall of Disney 2017
A Tale of Two Views 2017
Back in the S.S.R. 2017
Universal Hard Rock- MNSSHP - HHN 2016
Spring Surprise 2016
NYE in the World 2015-16

Coming up...
5/2018 BLT-Fantasy-BWV Eastern Carib *** 9/2018 BLT-Dream-BCV Halloween on the High Seas***10/2018 A Quick Stop at Pop!***BLT-BCV 12/2018 Another New Year ***5/2019 BWV-Fantasy-BLT Western Carib

Home resorts BCV BWV BLT VGC
Boundin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 12:03 PM   #6
Lolaura84
Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boundin' View Post
A friend told me recently that the tour was waste of time. May as well jut book a FP
I'd agree, there wasn't much to the tour other than a ride on Soarin' and some advertisement for the paid tours. I did this while my husband and kids did a Garden Grill PPO breakfast, and by the time I finished the tour, they had eaten without a rush, seen all the characters, and gone through standby on Soarin' without any wait. It was cool to have done once, but I wouldn't try to get it again.
Lolaura84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 12:04 PM   #7
Boundin'
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolaura84 View Post
I'd agree, there wasn't much to the tour other than a ride on Soarin' and some advertisement for the paid tours. I did this while my husband and kids did a Garden Grill PPO breakfast, and by the time I finished the tour, they had eaten without a rush, seen all the characters, and gone through standby on Soarin' without any wait. It was cool to have done once, but I wouldn't try to get it again.
The DCA version is a whole nutha story. That one has value and you don't have to be there until the civilized hour of 10am

My Disney Photography https://www.flickr.com/photos/rt_images/

Trip reports:
Sun, Sea, and Romance-Once Upon a Fantasy
Mickey's Very Merry Galactic Spectacular AND New Year's Eve 2017-18
The Fall of Disney 2017
A Tale of Two Views 2017
Back in the S.S.R. 2017
Universal Hard Rock- MNSSHP - HHN 2016
Spring Surprise 2016
NYE in the World 2015-16

Coming up...
5/2018 BLT-Fantasy-BWV Eastern Carib *** 9/2018 BLT-Dream-BCV Halloween on the High Seas***10/2018 A Quick Stop at Pop!***BLT-BCV 12/2018 Another New Year ***5/2019 BWV-Fantasy-BLT Western Carib

Home resorts BCV BWV BLT VGC
Boundin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 12:14 PM   #8
Kathy O
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

We got lucky and booked this on the first try. I did call on my 180 day. Checking in on the Saturday after Thanksgiving. I didn't think we'd ever be able to book it. I'm excited to do it during my birthday week trip!
Kathy O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 11:15 AM   #9
RweTHEREyet
Add-on Aficionado

I was going to try and book for this coming January, but I see it is mostly on Wednesdays now. Do you get to see anything behind the scenes or is it basically you ride the ride? Arriving at EPCOT at 8:00 AM for that is a bit early for me, so unless it is special, I am not even going to mention it to my DH.

RweTHEREyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 01:39 PM   #10
Sephorin
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom82097 View Post
I think this is the problem that is run into when tours/events are free. It sounds good for marketing that members get free stuff. However, I personally think a nominal charge should be applied.
I think you're absolutely right. At least make people put down a credit card deposit, then keep the deposit if they are a no show.

Then again, I'm a resale buyer, so I don't think I'm eligible for this anyway.
Sephorin is offline   Reply With Quote