home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Tours and Events
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 06-09-2018, 08:44 AM   #1
Erring
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Default Is it too early to talk about New Years Eve?

Hi all,

So one thing I love about many Disney fans is our obsession with planning. We are planning on going to the Mouse a few days before New Years day and staying at Boulder Ridge. We won't be getting park tickets so not looking for anything in any of the parks (resorts only). We aren't going to be going with kids, so we will be looking for adult events.

Here is my question, when do events for New Years Eve tend to go on sale. This will be our first trip during this time and knowing how popular Disney is for the holiday I don't want to miss out on a party we may want to get tickets for.

Any other tips, tricks, and suggestions from people who have done New Years Eve at Disney World would be much appreciated.

Erring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 09:43 AM   #2
Nickys
Grand Villa

Last year there were several different events at the Contemporary, ranging from reasonable to over the top expensive, depending on what you want to do.

Other things to do include resort hopping to see the decorations. A monorail loop, the Boardwalk resorts and AKL are all worth seeing.

Dining will start filling up at the 180 day mark, remembering that people have a 180 + 10 window to book. The special events come out much later. I think it could even be October before they announce them.

However have you looked to see what is available over New Year? It is a very popular time, many people will have booked at the 11 month window. And you've missed the 7 month window too.

A quick check for Dec 30th to Jan 2nd shows only 1 bedrooms available at SSR. That's everything for Studios and 1 beds.
Nickys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 11:37 AM   #3
Erring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickys View Post
Dining will start filling up at the 180 day mark, remembering that people have a 180 + 10 window to book. The special events come out much later. I think it could even be October before they announce them.

However have you looked to see what is available over New Year? It is a very popular time, many people will have booked at the 11 month window. And you've missed the 7 month window too.

A quick check for Dec 30th to Jan 2nd shows only 1 bedrooms available at SSR. That's everything for Studios and 1 beds.
Thanks for the info. We already made the reservations for the rooms at 11 months out. So we have that locked up. Its more new years eve that I want to figure out. I have the 180 day mark, because its a short stay we may have some difficulty getting some dining reservations, but we will figure that out in about 23 day when our window opens up.

We plan to do the resort hopping to see christmas decorations. We also want to rent a golf cart at Fort Wilderness to see everyone's decorations there too. Guess I'll make dinner reservations and cancel them if a party opens up later.

Old 06-09-2018, 01:10 PM   #4
erikthewise
Add-on Aficionado

NYE 2019? No.
NYE 2020? Probably.

Charter Member of OOO (Order Of the Oval)
erikthewise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 01:27 PM   #5
Erring

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikthewise View Post
NYE 2019? No.
NYE 2020? Probably.

Old 06-09-2018, 01:31 PM   #6
PurrfectPrincess
One Bedroom

...yes
PurrfectPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 01:36 PM   #7
Nickys
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erring View Post
Thanks for the info. We already made the reservations for the rooms at 11 months out. So we have that locked up. Its more new years eve that I want to figure out. I have the 180 day mark, because its a short stay we may have some difficulty getting some dining reservations, but we will figure that out in about 23 day when our window opens up.

We plan to do the resort hopping to see christmas decorations. We also want to rent a golf cart at Fort Wilderness to see everyone's decorations there too. Guess I'll make dinner reservations and cancel them if a party opens up later.

Ah OK. I mis-understood when you said you were thinking of going!

Yes, I would make ADRs when you can.

As I say, there were various offerings at the Contemporary, from effectively a desert party, to a themed NYE party for families and finally an evening dress formal do for the big bucks.

If you are members, you could go to TOTWL. We did that NYE 2016 and thoroughly enjoyed it. Went up around 8pm and snacked on the flat bread, cheese board and 7 layer cake. They set up a bar outside for straightforward orders (wine, beer etc). Still have those party hats!
Nickys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 02:43 PM   #8
Brian5581
Add-on Aficionado

Nah, never too early. But as noted they usually don’t release information about the parties until well within 180 days.
Brian5581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 10:12 PM   #9
ReagentGrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickys View Post
If you are members, you could go to TOTWL. We did that NYE 2016 and thoroughly enjoyed it. Went up around 8pm and snacked on the flat bread, cheese board and 7 layer cake. They set up a bar outside for straightforward orders (wine, beer etc). Still have those party hats!
I thought TOTWL was limited to DVC members staying in in BLT on New year's Eve (because of limited occupancy).Did I get this wrong?
ReagentGrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 10:22 PM   #10
ermindy1133
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReagentGrade View Post
I thought TOTWL was limited to DVC members staying in in BLT on New year's Eve (because of limited occupancy).Did I get this wrong?
From the member website...

Blockout dates apply for Top of the World Lounge, including but not limited to: December 30 — 31, 2017; July 3 — 4, 2018; and December 30 — 31, 2018. Current operating hours are 6:00 PM to midnight.

So those night, you have to be staying at BLT.
Like anything else, it probably depends on how strictly they enforce it.