home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > WELCOME TO THE DVC BOARDS AT MOUSEOWNERS.COM > Site / Forum News and Events
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-20-2018, 04:51 PM   #1
shockbl
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Default Scammer Alert: Beware of user bakmart112

Hi all -

User bakmart112 AKA Michael Johnson AKA Joseph Vincent is representing himself as a Poly owner. FL records show a Michael Johnson owns Poly property. However, after entering into an agreement with Michael Johnson, securing a reservation and following ALL of the steps outlined in the "Avoid being scammed" thread in the rent/trade/transfer board, and sending him $2190, I was scammed. One week after signing the contract, seeing the reservation and forwarding the money, I was contacted by the actual Poly owner in Indianapolis (I'm leaving him unnamed, he is legit) who was approach by "Joseph Vincent" asking him to secure a Poly reservation for his family. The actual owner made a reservation for us, in our name, assuming that he was dealing with an actual renter. Michael Johson had changed our email addresses slightly to throw the owner off.

The actual owner googled me when he suspected that he was inadvertantly part of a 3-way scam. He forwarded me the string of emails that he had received from Joseph Vincent AKA Michael Johnson to show that Michael Johnson had been fowarding my emails to the actual owner as his own. The scam was to show me the reservation to collect the money, then fail to pass the money to the actual owner, who he has since contacted the actual owner cancel the reservation.

Michael Johnson used *********************** as his email address.
Joseph Vincent (aka Michael Johnson) used *********************
PayPal payments were sent to ************************* and ***************************.

He provided references for me of two people with whom I communicated and they posed as prior renters. Their are addresses are:

*Brittany Saulters (saultersbrittany@gmail.com)
*Tiffany Austin (tiffanyaustin068@gmail.com)

In the executed contract he reports his address as: 793 Triana St. West Palm Beach, FL 33413

Last edited by shockbl; 10-21-2018 at 01:17 PM.
shockbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 07:30 PM   #2
Commish
One Bedroom

Sympathies regarding your financial loss & thanks for the warning,

The user had replied under a previous "Scam Alert" thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakmart112 View Post
So sorry this happened to you barb.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakmart112 View Post
Thanks for the heads up!
These type of financial crimes are disgusting and the perpetrators complete low-life dirt bags.
Old 10-21-2018, 07:27 AM   #3
shockbl

Default Additional Information

In addition to reporting him to the site mods (we will see if they respond) the IP address he is working from is 41.113.49.152 - South Africa.
Old 10-21-2018, 10:19 AM   #4
Kathee88

That's very ironic that his only 2 posts were in response to scams. So sorry this happened, where you able to get your money back from a PayPal?
Kathee88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 12:23 PM   #5
disney65
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathee88 View Post
That's very ironic that his only 2 posts were in response to scams. So sorry this happened, where you able to get your money back from a PayPal?
Scammer always keep an eye all around and know what is going on. This guy is scamming from South Africa means he is master in this game.

My Trip Reports

2015 Spring Poly/VGF
Wishes in Pics
Christmas 2014 HHI
2015 Christmas HHI and AKL
2016 - Atlantis Spring break
disney65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 01:12 PM   #6
shockbl

Default Scammer

Kathee88 - I was able to recover a portion of the funds. I've reported his user ID to the mods/owner of the site. If they don't reply in any fashion, I'm considering reporting this site to the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) by opening a complaint. I think more could be done to ensure that those who purport to own DVC actually do. For example, a separate login process with an initial verification of ownership when an onwer creates a user ID. Think of Twitter's verified status. Actually quite simple.
Old 10-21-2018, 01:35 PM   #7
NYDisneyDad

Quote:
Originally Posted by shockbl View Post
Kathee88 - I was able to recover a portion of the funds. I've reported his user ID to the mods/owner of the site. If they don't reply in any fashion, I'm considering reporting this site to the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) by opening a complaint. I think more could be done to ensure that those who purport to own DVC actually do. For example, a separate login process with an initial verification of ownership when an onwer creates a user ID. Think of Twitter's verified status. Actually quite simple.
Sorry for your financial loss but why would you put a complaint against the owner of the website. By all means she sometimes in my eyes sounds arrogant and bullish but I don't blame her. She has to deal with stupidity all day long on this site. People on here don't read/understand the rules, including me I've made my mistakes. This is like a big daycare and it most definitely must get tiresome for her. This is a free site and even though I have never said it to her I thank her for the opportunity for getting to use something for free. She gives everyone enough fair warning about scams and doing business at your own risk. Just because you tripped and fell doesn't mean she or her website is at fault. Here's free advice think before you speak or release your money.
NYDisneyDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 01:43 PM   #8
shockbl

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYDisneyDad View Post
Sorry for your financial loss but why would you put a complaint against the owner of the website. By all means she sometimes in my eyes sounds arrogant and bullish but I don't blame her. She has to deal with stupidity all day long on this site. People on here don't read/understand the rules, including me I've made my mistakes. This is like a big daycare and it most definitely must get tiresome for her. This is a free site and even though I have never said it to her I thank her for the opportunity for getting to use something for free. She gives everyone enough fair warning about scams and doing business at your own risk. Just because you tripped and fell doesn't mean she or her website is at fault. Here's free advice think before you speak or release your money.
All I am looking for is confirmation that she has blocked the user and/or his IP address, with my goal of keeping this from happening to someone else. Free or not, she has this obligation, I believe.

As for your free advice, thank you! I'm a big proponent of thinking before speaking and/or acting! I have had 3 other successful transactions on here and so I have benefited from the site, too. But, the owner is not without some repsonsibility IF she fails to block the ID and/or block the IP.

Last edited by shockbl; 10-21-2018 at 01:56 PM.
Old 10-21-2018, 02:24 PM   #9
NYDisneyDad

Quote:
All I am looking for is confirmation that she has blocked the user and/or his IP address, with my goal of keeping this from happening to someone else. Free or not, she has this obligation, I believe.

As for your free advice, thank you! I'm a big proponent of thinking before speaking and/or acting! I have had 3 other successful transactions on here and so I have benefited from the site, too. But, the owner is not without some repsonsibility IF she fails to block the ID and/or block the IP.
Again sorry for your loss just understand she can block that user and IP address but it won't stop that person or the scams. That person can get a new username / IP address just as quick as I'm writing this post. Believe I'm not happy you were scammed as it just makes it that must harder for people to trust. That's the biggest issue I/we find when renting out. Just so you know I once went as far as waiting until a family which had taken 3 reservations for the same check in date to check in before I received payment from them. Then at that point I had to trust that they would pay me. If I had been scammed it would have just been a hard lesson but never would I have even thought to put responsibility on the owner or website. The renter could do everything to see if the person is legit, background checks, contracts but even if all bases are covered what would a contract do when the guy is in the wind. In South Africa yeah right with tech today he could be right in the next room and you wouldn't even know it. I'm a firm believer that if your going to get scammed its going to happen and there is nothing anyone can do. On the flip side happy to hear you have had success and wish you many more in the future. If your ever in that situation (renting) again ask others on here, pm them as I would be happy to let you know if I either know of that person or know of someone who does which makes the process a little less nerve racking....
NYDisneyDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 03:05 PM   #10
Kathee88

Quote:
Glad you were able to recoup some of your money, it still doesn't negate the stress of being scammed. I have rented from this site four times successfully and hope to never run into this situation.
Kathee88 is offline   Reply With Quote