home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP REPORTS > Non-DVC-Related Trip Reports
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 11-14-2018, 07:34 PM   #1
Jedimom3
Grand Villa

Default Universal ticket questions, etc

Universal planning is so opposite our Disney planning,
Decided last Friday to leave this Friday for quick Universal trip.

Ticket questions:

1. We've never used Undercover Tourist?? Is it an easy process? I can save about $125 on our tickets with them.

2. Getting 2 day park to park tickets (plus 2 days free promo)
Can we upgrade one of those to an annual pass when we get there? like pay the difference at guest services? or is that a huge hassle, since we'd get the orig tickets from Undercover Tourist?
I think it's worth it to get 1 AP for discounts. DH does not

Food questions:

Is the Chocolate Emporium on CW only sit down? or is there a way to order just a milkshake to go?

Anyone eaten at the Taco shop in Simpson's area? good , bad?
Universal quick services suck all the way around, but had heard this might be a decent option. Otherwise planning Three Broomsticks for breakfast if we can (did that once) and City Walk restaurants.
Jedimom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 08:57 PM   #2
Caesar312
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedimom3 View Post
Universal planning is so opposite our Disney planning,
Decided last Friday to leave this Friday for quick Universal trip.

Ticket questions:

1. We've never used Undercover Tourist?? Is it an easy process? I can save about $125 on our tickets with them.

2. Getting 2 day park to park tickets (plus 2 days free promo)
Can we upgrade one of those to an annual pass when we get there? like pay the difference at guest services? or is that a huge hassle, since we'd get the orig tickets from Undercover Tourist?
I think it's worth it to get 1 AP for discounts. DH does not

Food questions:

Is the Chocolate Emporium on CW only sit down? or is there a way to order just a milkshake to go?

Anyone eaten at the Taco shop in Simpson's area? good , bad?
Universal quick services suck all the way around, but had heard this might be a decent option. Otherwise planning Three Broomsticks for breakfast if we can (did that once) and City Walk restaurants.
My wife and I got tacos from the taco truck back in January (one chicken & one beef) they were OK. Not terrible by any means but not really rememberable...
Caesar312 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 09:04 PM   #3
capeokw56
Grand Villa

We have used UT in the past and found the experience to be quick and easy. We got our tickets via e-mail and loaded them onto our MDE account, again no problems at all. We then used those tickets to upgrade to APs at Disney Springs. That process took about ten minutes and was equally easy and we got the full value for the discounted UT tickets.
capeokw56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 10:02 PM   #4
MinnieMomofOne
Add-on Aficionado

Yes UC tickets can be upgraded to AP at universal at customer service. If you get someone who knows what they are doing it is quick & easy. I was not impressed by US quick service. Pizza place at city walk was really good though. Enjoy!

Quick Links:
Amy's Disney books: Camping Disney and A Year of Disney. Both books were inspired by my Mouseowners Trip Reports. For more on the books plus blog posts, photos and videos, check out my new blog: ThemeParkBooks.
MinnieMomofOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 08:57 AM   #5
MMC1
Grand Villa

It has been over 2 years but AAA Club card gave 10% discount at some restaurants .
MMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 04:19 PM   #6
Jedimom3
Grand Villa

Thanks all. We went with UT tickets, just the 2+2, but still considering upgrading one to AP. we'll see.
Back of my mind, I was planning to do US next may, but I don't think we'll do that.
Probably take a year off (gasp) from Orlando...

Looking forward to our last minute trip!!
thanks for dining info too!
Old 11-27-2018, 09:32 AM   #7
fuzzylogic
One Bedroom

Guess I'll piggyback on here instead of starting a new thread... We're also planning a UO trip and finding little info on how to save on tix & hotel.

Ticket price vs AP...

2-Day+2 is only a few $ shy of the base AP. Is that cheap AP a trap? It says it blocks out any concert day at US. Isn't that almost every Sat-Sun from late Nov-Dec? Are there other concerts as well? So if you have that AP and you're at IOA and you line up to hop on Hogwarts to US they'll stop you?

Is there an AP discount on rooms (Royal Pacific) to make pre-buying an AP worthwhile?

Any other suggestions?
Thank you!
fuzzylogic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 10:13 AM   #8
DeniseKayC
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzylogic View Post
Guess I'll piggyback on here instead of starting a new thread... We're also planning a UO trip and finding little info on how to save on tix & hotel.

Ticket price vs AP...

2-Day+2 is only a few $ shy of the base AP. Is that cheap AP a trap? It says it blocks out any concert day at US. Isn't that almost every Sat-Sun from late Nov-Dec? Are there other concerts as well? So if you have that AP and you're at IOA and you line up to hop on Hogwarts to US they'll stop you?

Is there an AP discount on rooms (Royal Pacific) to make pre-buying an AP worthwhile?

Any other suggestions?
Thank you!
We're taking our first trip to Universal in January...the cheap AP is not a trap IF the block out dates don't affect you. From what I can tell the only concert dates are the November/December timeframe and during Mardi Gras. Other block out dates are around Xmas and Spring Break. We are not going during any of those times.

AP discounts for rooms do come out and are worth it. Our January rooms just came out with AP discounts last week and I saved $90 per room per night at HRH using the AP discount. This will more than make up for the price difference between an AP and a 3 day park ticket.

For the AP discount, since we have 2 rooms booked I will purchase an AP for myself and my husband to cover both rooms. The kids I purchased regular park to park tickets through Undercover tourist, but if we really like Universal and think we may want to come back next year, the current AP promotion gives you a 15 month AP, so we could upgrade the kids' tickets if we think we'll go back in 2020 before they expire.

I did wait to decide whether to buy an AP until the hotel discounts came out. You can book an AP discounted room without having an AP, you just need to get it by the time you check in. So, there is more flexibility to take a wait and see approach, unless of course there is a promotion you're interested in that may go away (i.e. I believe the current 15 month AP promotion goes away in April).
DeniseKayC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 10:23 AM   #9
Jedimom3
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzylogic View Post

Ticket price vs AP...

Any other suggestions?
Thank you!
I just could not convince DH to buy the APs, or I definitely would've gone that route, even if there's a tiny chance you'll go back. We were looking at preferred though, no blockout dates, and free parking. The APH discounts on rooms are GREAT! When I was first starting to research for this past Thanksgiving trip ( a few months ago) the APH discounts for rooms were VERY substantial. Would've made up the differences in prices and then some, and add in the 3 or 6 extra months you get (depending on the pass) .
By the time I was actually booking last minute, no APH discounts came up except for 1 night at 1 hotel. I just waited too long. Learned it is better to just book and cancel if need be.

Was pleased with our UT savings, but if there's any chance of a another trip, get the AP. At least for 1, and use it to get the APH discounted room.
Old 11-27-2018, 11:33 AM   #10
fuzzylogic
One Bedroom

Thank you both!
I just got off the phone with UO, since I'm trying to book their WW package that includes 3 nights hotel which is AP-only. The website says "book now for travel through Dec 2019". They tell me that they don't have rooms in inventory for 2019 yet. You both booked only a few months prior to your trip. Am I trying for these packages too early? I mentioned to them how the website says the 3-nt WW package should be available, and they say it's not.

Edit: They were kind of pushy... Definitely an urgency to get me to book something, even though what I called for they couldn't get.

Last edited by fuzzylogic; 11-27-2018 at 11:45 AM.
fuzzylogic is online now   Reply With Quote