home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Vacation Planning and Trip Countdowns
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 12-26-2018, 10:43 AM   #1
TexasChick
Grand Villa

Default Alaskan Cruise...With Kids

My extended family was talking about taking an Alaskan Cruise in summer 2020. We will have kids with us ages 5-8 (6 kids total). We’re looking at taking a one-way Cruise up to Alaska and thinking Princess is a good bet. For those of you who have cruised to Alaska, how were the kids clubs on Princess? Tell me about the cruise in general please. Also, my DH wants to go in late July/early August because of the salmon fishing. He is going to fish for 3-4 days while in Alaska. Thoughts and opinions are highly appreciated!
Old 12-26-2018, 01:12 PM   #2
BWV Dreamin
Add-on Aficionado

I think you cant go wrong with Princess. Friends of mine have sailed to Alaska on Holland America, Princess, Norwegian and Disney. Word of advice....Do Not Sail Disney to Alaska! For one, they can not get into Glacier Bay. Just too many kids too enjoy the beauty of Alaska ( topviewing deck was chaos). My friend’s opinion, not mine.

We are trying out both Holland America and Princess next year. Once we’ve tried them out, we will choose which to sail to Alaska on.

Please give us a report!!

BWV Dreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 01:42 PM   #3
TexasChick
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWV Dreamin View Post
I think you cant go wrong with Princess. Friends of mine have sailed to Alaska on Holland America, Princess, Norwegian and Disney. Word of advice....Do Not Sail Disney to Alaska! For one, they can not get into Glacier Bay. Just too many kids too enjoy the beauty of Alaska ( topviewing deck was chaos). My friend’s opinion, not mine.

We are trying out both Holland America and Princess next year. Once we’ve tried them out, we will choose which to sail to Alaska on.

Please give us a report!!
We are looking at a mini suite. I want the full suite, but my DH says that we won't be able to use all the amenities that the suites have to offer since we will be traveling with a lot of family who will not stay in suites. Also, I am trying to be vigilant about picking the right location. We made a huge mistake on our Disney cruise with regards to location, and I don't want to make that mistake again.
Old 12-26-2018, 02:51 PM   #4
Steamboat42
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

We did an early season sailing to Alaksa this year on Disney and absolutely loved every minute of it. The weather was not that bad (but we are from Wisconsin). The smaller ship (Wonder) was just a blast. There were some kids on the boat, but when we got to the glacier, there were very few kids on deck. Most were playing games, in the kids clubs, etc.

We had our daughter with us who was just over 1 at the time (her second cruise). The Alaska cruise for her was great. She loves character interactions and the lower amount of children on board made for very short waits or sometimes no waits for characters.

No matter what you choose to do, you can't go wrong with Alaska. It is 100% gorgeous and the excursions are something you will never forget.
Steamboat42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 03:23 PM   #5
TexasChick
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamboat42 View Post
We did an early season sailing to Alaksa this year on Disney and absolutely loved every minute of it. The weather was not that bad (but we are from Wisconsin). The smaller ship (Wonder) was just a blast. There were some kids on the boat, but when we got to the glacier, there were very few kids on deck. Most were playing games, in the kids clubs, etc.

We had our daughter with us who was just over 1 at the time (her second cruise). The Alaska cruise for her was great. She loves character interactions and the lower amount of children on board made for very short waits or sometimes no waits for characters.

No matter what you choose to do, you can't go wrong with Alaska. It is 100% gorgeous and the excursions are something you will never forget.
Thank you for the response. We went on a Disney cruise last January. The reason we are not doing a Disney cruise to Alaska is because they cannot go to Glacier Bay which is very important to us. We decided on Princess because we want to do the one-way cruise, and they're the only ones that offer it. Also, we all got the flu on our Disney cruise (yes, we got the flu shot a few months before), so Disney cruises conjure up bad memories for us. I know it isn't Disney's fault, but it will probably always remind us of it. Maybe we just need more time for another Disney cruise...
Old 12-27-2018, 03:30 PM   #6
GiantsNiners11
Grand Villa

Disney Cruise with kids was pretty much the best family vacation we ever had. While I love a good adults only trip, there is little that can compare to a solid family vacation. So much love and joy and togetherness and cruises can be awesome for that. I’ve never been on an Alaska cruise so I can’t hep you there.
“Too many people grow up. That's the real trouble with the world, too many people grow up. They forget. They don't remember what it's like to be 12 years old. They patronize, they treat children as inferiors. Well I won't do that.” ~Walt Disney

Me(34) DW(33) DD(5)
GiantsNiners11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 03:44 PM   #7
jmark
Two Bedroom

We did a Disney cruise to Alaska two years ago. Easily the best trip we ever took. Due to our kids ages the kids club was really important to us but I totally understand the importance of Glacier Bay and wanting to go on Princess. We really loved the excursions we did and I would strongly recommend the glacier dog sledding, Yukon excursion and Anan Creek. I did a full trip report if your interested:

http://www.mouseowners.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=113360

As far as weather July is the warmest but be prepared for anything. It was 70 when we were at Juneau but in the 40s when we went to Endicott Arm.

Alaska was amazing. I'm sure you'll have a great time whichever cruise line or excursions you do.
jmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 07:22 PM   #8
littlelulu01
One Bedroom

We’ve been on several Alaska cruises over the years and also land based vacations with our daughter working up there. Regarding glacier bay- after doing some of the other glaciers I’m not so convinced glacier bay is a must. Last year we sailed the ncl Bliss and it did Dawes Glacier. Take your breath away beautiful with glacier chunks the size of houses that had their own wake as we sailed through them. I wasn’t too crazy about a big ship first time on one, but the crowds were not bad and getting on/off pretty easy/no worse than the midsize ships I’d previously done. We got a great last minute rate but didn’t need to worry about airfare so could take or leave an Alaska cruise knowing that something else would pop up. The bliss had a racetrack we thought was a blast, laser tag, a spa (adults only) that was heaven, great specialty dining but not so great included venues. We also saw some broadway quality shows and it was the first cruise we actually said we would have paid to see on land they were that good. They had some pretty impressive but expensive excursions to different glaciers on port days. Good luck with your research.

Was going to add about fishing- they do have full day excursions available to do salmon or halibut with guides through the cruise lines so husband and even kids can do this on Ketchikan or Juneau port day with rt Seattle vs one way with land based add on.

Last edited by littlelulu01; 12-27-2018 at 07:35 PM.
littlelulu01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 08:03 PM   #9
reblzmom
Grand Villa

We sailed Princess - 10 years ago!! It was a wonderful cruise. At that time my sons were 17 and 21 and they were the youngest by far on the ship (first week of July so not a school schedule issue). Times might have changed but then it was definitely a cruise geared toward the older crowd.
Old 12-27-2018, 11:02 PM   #10
TexasChick
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by reblzmom View Post
We sailed Princess - 10 years ago!! It was a wonderful cruise. At that time my sons were 17 and 21 and they were the youngest by far on the ship (first week of July so not a school schedule issue). Times might have changed but then it was definitely a cruise geared toward the older crowd.
Thank you. We’re trying to get a big group together with a bunch of kids. I think they’ll all just play together. They do have the standard kids clubs which is really all I require.

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlelulu01 View Post
We’ve been on several Alaska cruises over the years and also land based vacations with our daughter working up there. Regarding glacier bay- after doing some of the other glaciers I’m not so convinced glacier bay is a must. Last year we sailed the ncl Bliss and it did Dawes Glacier. Take your breath away beautiful with glacier chunks the size of houses that had their own wake as we sailed through them. I wasn’t too crazy about a big ship first time on one, but the crowds were not bad and getting on/off pretty easy/no worse than the midsize ships I’d previously done. We got a great last minute rate but didn’t need to worry about airfare so could take or leave an Alaska cruise knowing that something else would pop up. The bliss had a racetrack we thought was a blast, laser tag, a spa (adults only) that was heaven, great specialty dining but not so great included venues. We also saw some broadway quality shows and it was the first cruise we actually said we would have paid to see on land they were that good. They had some pretty impressive but expensive excursions to different glaciers on port days. Good luck with your research.

Was going to add about fishing- they do have full day excursions available to do salmon or halibut with guides through the cruise lines so husband and even kids can do this on Ketchikan or Juneau port day with rt Seattle vs one way with land based add on.
Thanks. I’m sure he will go fishing on one of the port days. He plans on staying behind for a 4-day fishing trip. He’s going to go to a specific lodge and everything. Apparently, it’s a thing. I don’t know what I’ll do just yet while he’s fishing. I will have at least 1 kid with me. The good news is that I have 18 months until the cruise to research things I want to do while in Alaska. I wish an option was “Tour a Hallmark Movie Christmas Town”.