home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Vacation Planning and Trip Countdowns
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 12-31-2018, 07:38 AM   #21
AnnaS
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasChick View Post
We went ahead and booked a cabin throughout Costco since no one else is confirmed yet. Should we have more people want to come, I plan to look into group rates. Costco is currently offering $620 in onboard credits for our cruise. The deposit is fully refundable up until 75 days out. If you end up going on the northbound cruise in late July, we may be there too!
A nice OBC with Costco. We are members. Looking at July - middle as of now but not 100 percent.

AnnaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 10:05 AM   #22
TexasChick
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWV Dreamin View Post
Do you have to be a member of Costco to use their travel services?
I think you have to be a member, but I am not certain. When I set up the account a few years ago, Im pretty sure I did put in my Costco membership number. Go to https://www.costcotravel.com/. Its a separate website from Costco.
Old 02-08-2019, 12:43 PM   #23
AnnaS
Grand Villa

We booked with our friends for now June 2020. Hoping we don't need to move date because of granddaughter's kindergarten graduation (not sure if they still call it this). She won't be with us but us 4 grandparents are cruising and don't want to miss it .

Royal Princess - Flying to Anchorage. Land Tour for two nights and then southbound cruise.

With Princess OBC not offered yet. We were told maybe in May sometime.

My friend had three different quotes (TA, Costco and Princess). So many different balcony categories.......Costco had a nice OBC but the cruise price was higher. In the end, all three sources were more or less the same - give or take a few dollars.

Will sit it out for now and see if Princess comes up with any offers otherwise, might switch to the one that gives us a better bottom price.

Looking forward to this but not the flight

Hoping to start reading some trip reports/reviews until then~!

Last edited by AnnaS; 02-08-2019 at 01:57 PM.
Old 02-08-2019, 12:57 PM   #24
bigbahamadada
Grand Villa

We did DCL in Alaska a couple years ago in August with our 4 (at the time 3, 5, 10, 12). A fantastic trip - the favorite of my 5 DCL experiences.

A few thoughts not offered yet:

(1) Be willing to split up for 1 or 2 shore excursions. Lots of the more adventurous (and awesome) excursions have minimum age requirements.

(2) Get them spring (or full arm) wetsuits to use in the pools. Kids wetsuits are very inexpensive. And while the pools are heated, you'll benefit from something to cut the wind. We essentially had the kids pool to ourselves for most of the trip. No back zippers, or an additional shirt to cover them up, if using the slide is important.

(3) Spend some time in Vancouver either before or after. A jewel of a city.

(4) I bit my lip and popped for the glacier helicopter tour with sled-dog experience. It was a bloody fortune . . . and some of the best money I have ever spent on vacation.

Last edited by bigbahamadada; 02-08-2019 at 01:03 PM.
bigbahamadada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 01:52 PM   #25
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Quote:
Sorry. I was specifically talking about Princess as opposed Disney. I didn’t mean Princess was the only one at all that did it. We ruled out HAL and Celebrity because we were told they were for a much older crowd. If anyone knows any differently, and I would love to hear opinions.

No....That is accurate.

Princess is older skewed, but nowhere near Celebrity and HAL.
Old 02-08-2019, 01:55 PM   #26
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaS View Post
Following along. Tips/thoughts, etc.

We have been talking about an Alaska for a year now. Also for Summer 2020. We decided on the Princess. We are thinking of doing a land/cruise tour.

Just waiting for our traveling buddies to commit now..........
We have narrowed down to 2021 for going to Alaska, doing a two week land and sea tour.

Princess has the most ships, most itineraries and for the land portion, the best lodges in Denali National Park.
Old 02-08-2019, 02:00 PM   #27
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Quote:
My extended family was talking about taking an Alaskan Cruise in summer 2020. We will have kids with us ages 5-8 (6 kids total). Were looking at taking a one-way Cruise up to Alaska and thinking Princess is a good bet. For those of you who have cruised to Alaska, how were the kids clubs on Princess? Tell me about the cruise in general please. Also, my DH wants to go in late July/early August because of the salmon fishing. He is going to fish for 3-4 days while in Alaska. Thoughts and opinions are highly appreciated!

There are not a lot of sea days and lots of ports, so club time won't be a huge priority. I will say that the kids clubs are ok, not stellar. The older the ship, the smaller the club. The newer ships are better equipped with children's activities. On our British Isle cruise last August with Princess, the kids club was decent and we often saw the kids in there.
Old 02-08-2019, 02:01 PM   #28
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbahamadada View Post
I bit my lip and popped for the glacier helicopter tour

This is my top excursion I want to do.....take a helicopter ride and land on a glacier. I will be going solo, cause Robin refuses to fly in anything that does not glide if the engine fails......helicopters fall.
Old 02-08-2019, 02:03 PM   #29
AnnaS
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandrobin View Post
We have narrowed down to 2021 for going to Alaska, doing a two week land and sea tour.

Princess has the most ships, most itineraries and for the land portion, the best lodges in Denali National Park.
Hubby said if I am willing to fly to Anchorage, he is not taking no for an answer anymore about Italy. So 2021 will be Italy.

Now bigbahadamadada brought up another good idea - spend a few nights in Vancouver after the cruise...... Just need to see if we - both set of grandparents can stay away that long......(we babysit the kids).

Old 02-08-2019, 02:04 PM   #30
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Quote:
We went ahead and booked a cabin throughout Costco since no one else is confirmed yet. Should we have more people want to come, I plan to look into group rates. Costco is currently offering $620 in onboard credits for our cruise. The deposit is fully refundable up until 75 days out. If you end up going on the northbound cruise in late July, we may be there too!

If you are going with Princess, can an eye out for their "free" packages sales.