home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP REPORTS > Non-DVC-Related Trip Reports
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 12-31-2018, 04:19 PM   #21
Brian5581
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamima View Post
Hope your last 24 hours of this trip is good! Have fun and safe travels home tomorrow!!

Thanks! Definitely not ready to return to work. Happy New Year!
Brian5581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 05:59 PM   #22
Lamima
Add-on Aficionado

I want to gripe a second...we leave tomorrow morning to head to MD. I cleaned house, took dog to board, packed all my stuff and loaded it in car. It is 5pm and NOBODY else is packed. I did DH's laundry and one DS did hers but other DD has not and won't until after they go to gym....but she has to finish watching something before they go to gym. They need to pack to go back to college too. And I am sitting here being held up from making dinner due to them needing to go to gym. DH is on the sofa watching TV instead of packing.

This is always how it goes. Then tomorrow I will be up early, shower and get dressed and then have to load all their suitcases while they get ready slowly. Then I'll be all sweaty and grumpy.

Owners since 2006 at OKW, HHI, BWV & CCV
2019-2020 DVC trip(s): May 20-22 SSR / Sept 27-Oct 6 BWV/SSR / Dec 19-21 CCV cabin & Dec 21-28 Vistana/ Jan 18-21 HHI
Next cruise(s): July 11, 2020 HAL Amsterdam & Sept 4, 2021 NCL Pride of America
Lamima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 08:54 AM   #23
reblzmom
Grand Villa

Hope you enjoy the Grandeur. We sailed on it in 2010 out of Ft Lauderdale and had a very nice time. We also like the smaller ships.
Old 01-05-2019, 10:08 AM   #24
Lamima
Add-on Aficionado

On the 3rd....
My mom drove us to port and we arrived at 11:05 and 45 minutes later we walked on the ship.

We ate lunch and discovered the biggest negative of this ship...the buffet area is small with very little indoor seating...on a ship that goes out of a cold port. So everyone was leisurely sitting at tables inside and we had trouble getting a table.

We walked around the ship and then checked out our cabins around 1:30. Tiny and worn out (and a little dirty...mousekeeping actually does better). But laid out well with plenty of storage. Oct Carnival cruise cabin had zero storage so the win for Royal on cabins.

We hit some bars...too much in my case and I eventually crashed for about 2 hours before 7pm dinner. I missed going under both bridges. Muster was brought inside due to cold and went quick and easy. I passed out shortly afterwards, lol.

We had dinner in a pay venue. The Italian place. It was good. And not busy at all. After dinner, DDs and I went to the theater to see 8:30 showing of movie called Crazy Rich Asians. It was cute...DDs liked it. Dh was snoring away when we got back to cabin. Our luggage arrived right before dinner so I still had to unpack.

Seaday...got up at 7ish and unpacked. Went to buffet for breakfast and same issue with trouble finding a table. We discovered the covered pool area, solarium, has some food too so we may use that more than the buffet madhouse.

DH and DDs used the gym. We checked out shops because DH forgot a toothbrush. We did some other stuff. DDs and I did sushi class which was awesome. That was our lunch. And we brought back a lot leftover for DH's lunch.

Dinner was formal night and we went to your time dining around 5:30. Had an okay meal...similar to Carnival there. After that we played a game called majority rules and then went to see theater show. Show was really good with a guy called Kenny James and his son. Was way better than Carnival shows. After that we tried to watch karaoke but we sat near 2 groups who were obnoxiously loud and ruined it for us so we left partway through and went to bed.

Up at 8 today. Docked at Charleston and it is a balmy 54 degrees high today...so....

Cabin...we are right below atrium area, Centrum, and there is a band playing every night until 11. We can hear that very loudly in our cabin. So I just aim to go to bed around 11 each night...or later but not likely much later.

Staff on this ship are really good and friendly and they hustle. Better than Carnival.

2019-2020 DVC trip(s): May 20-22 SSR / Sept 27-Oct 6 BWV/SSR / Dec 19-21 CCV cabin & Dec 21-28 Vistana/ Jan 18-21 HHI

Last edited by Lamima; 01-14-2019 at 11:11 PM.
Old 01-05-2019, 10:34 AM   #25
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Glad you're underway without ditching either your husband or daughters!!

Thanks for the review, especially the experience of the ship. I would be very tempted to try Royal Caribbean, and appreciate the perspectives from people who know Disney and other cruise lines, as well.

Hope you continue to have fun and warmer weather!

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 05:10 PM   #26
Lamima
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post

Thanks for the review, especially the experience of the ship. I would be very tempted to try Royal Caribbean, and appreciate the perspectives from people who know Disney and other cruise lines, as well.

Dirk
Been on one Disney cruise and several Carnival. Royal is between the 2 IMO. We do notice a difference from Carnival. It is a notch above. We will be booking a 2020 Royal cruise...going to Next Cruise desk tomorrow.

Got off ship today and walked around. Shopped and stopped in a cute coffee shop. Got back on and watched a movie in the theater...House With a Clock in it's Walls. Sitting out on deck waiting for ship to depart. I think they are waiting for people as they called some names and sounded the horn 10 minuted qgo. Were supposed to depart at 4.

Old 01-05-2019, 08:04 PM   #27
JudieHopps
Two Bedroom

Quote:
I want to gripe a second...we leave tomorrow morning to head to MD. I cleaned house, took dog to board, packed all my stuff and loaded it in car. It is 5pm and NOBODY else is packed. I did DH's laundry and one DS did hers but other DD has not and won't until after they go to gym....but she has to finish watching something before they go to gym. They need to pack to go back to college too. And I am sitting here being held up from making dinner due to them needing to go to gym. DH is on the sofa watching TV instead of packing.

This is always how it goes. Then tomorrow I will be up early, shower and get dressed and then have to load all their suitcases while they get ready slowly. Then I'll be all sweaty and grumpy.
Oh my! Following along.
You are a better person than I ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post

Dirk

Keep it coming and have a blast!
JudieHopps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 10:44 AM   #28
Lamima
Add-on Aficionado

Pulling into PC now. Or close to it anyway. Due to dock at 10:30.

Last night we went to MDR around 5:30 and then saw the theater show...Broadway something. it was okay. Girls and I mulled around while DH was catching some football. I thought he was up on pool deck watching in the freezing windy cold but he was in our cabin. They had the games on the pool screen and in the Schooner lounge.

I went back and joined DH in bed at 10. We got up at 7am and showered to go to MDR for breakfast, leaving DDs to sleep in. Then we went to next cruise desk to price out a summer 2020 Canada cruise on the Adventure OTS out of NJ. It was pricey so we held off booking.

Going to find a bar off ship today to watch Ravens. Though the pool deck screen will play it and should be a good time. It is only supposed to be like 64 degrees today. Still a touch chilly.

Last edited by Lamima; 01-14-2019 at 11:14 PM.
Old 01-06-2019, 11:11 AM   #29
bakerworld
Grand Villa

Quote:
On the 3rd....
My mim drove us to port and we arrived at 11:05 and 45 minutes later we walked on the ship.

We ate lunch and discovered the biggest negative of this ship...the buffet area is small with very little indoor seating...on a ship that goes out of a cold port. So everyone was leisurely sitting at tables inside and we had trouble getting a table.

We ealked around the ship and then checked out our cabins around 1:30. Tiny and worn out (and a little dirty...mousekeeping does better). But laid out well with plenty of storage. Oct Carnival cruise cabin had zero storage so one up here.

We hit some bars...too much in my case and I eventually crashed for about 2 hours before 7pm dinner. I missed going under both bridges. Muster was brought inside due to cold and went quick and easy.

We had dinner in a pay venue. The Italian place. It was good. And not busy at all. After dinner, DDs and I went to the theater to see 8:30 showing of movie called Crazy Rich Asians. It was cute...DDs liked it. Dh was snoring away when we got back to cabin. Our luggage arrived right before dinner so I still had to unpack.

Seaday...got up at 7ish and unpacked. Went to buffet fofor breakfast and same issue. We discovered the covered pool area has sone food too so we may use that more that buffet madhouse.

DH and DDs used the gym. We checked out shops because DH forgot toothbrush. We did some other stuff. DDs and I did sushi class which was awesome. That was our lunch.

Dinner was formal night and we went to your time dining around 5:30. Had an okay meal...similar to Carnival there. After that we played a game called majority rules and then went to see theater show. Show was really good with a guy called Kenny James and his son. Way wat better than Carnival shows. After that we tried to watch karaoke but we sat near 2 groups who were obnoxiously loud and ruined it for us so we left part2ay through. Went to bed.

Up at 8 today. Docked at Charleston and it is a balmy 54 degrees high today...so....

Cabin...we are right below atrium area and there is a band playing every night until 11. We can hear that very loudly in our cabin. So I just aim to go to bed around 11 each night...or later but not likely much later.

Staff on this ship are really good and friendly and they hussle. Better than Carnival.
Well, I was pushing DH to try RC now I guess we'll stay with DCL
Old 01-06-2019, 12:26 PM   #30
Joeli
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerworld View Post
Well, I was pushing DH to try RC now I guess we'll stay with DCL
You read this as bad? I read it as a good comparison review of RC albeit a smaller ship.

Upcoming:
Dec/Jan 2020 - SSR/BWV (Split for NYE)
Dec 2019 - RCCL Allure of the Seas
Nov 2019 - BWV
Oct 2019 - BWV
Sept 2019 - BLT
Jul 2019 - Swan
Jun 2019 - BWV
May 2019 - Swan

Done:
2019 (Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr) - DCL Magic - Miami - Marvel day at Sea, BRV, PVB, Swan
2018 (Jan, May, June, Aug, Sept, Nov, Dec) - DCL Fantasy - Orlando - Star Wars day at Sea, BLT, Swan x 2, Hilton Bonnet Creek, BWV/AKV (Kidani), Swan, SSR
2017 (Jan, May, Oct) - VGF, BLT, BRV
2016 (Feb, May) - PVB, BRV/BWV
2015/2014 (Sept) - BCV, AoA (Little Mermaid/Nemo/Lion King)

Joeli is offline   Reply With Quote