home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Vacation Planning and Trip Countdowns
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 01-13-2019, 04:47 PM   #21
littlelulu01
One Bedroom

We returned on the 10th. Our magical express was scheduled for a 4:40 pm pickup from Jambo house. I chickened out because not everyone in my party had tsa pre check. We took a $31 lyft with a 4:30 pm pickup and got to our gate with 15 minutes prior to boarding time (no checked luggage. Just carry on). The tsa non pre check took 45 minutes longer than precheck. They were still doing the bag check at hotel on the 10th (we didnít use) and tsa agents at mco seemed in good spirits. I imagine in the next few days and weeks things will deteriorate pretty quickly with air travel.

Last edited by littlelulu01; 01-13-2019 at 04:53 PM.
littlelulu01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 05:34 PM   #22
reblzmom
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofygrl View Post
There has to be some incorrect information that was given. I'm unaware of "TSA Custody". I'd guess that RAC has some sort of agreement that when they check the bag they are then required to deliver it to the airport. Thus no retrieving it. It wouldn't have much to do with TSA per se. TSA is security screening not baggage handling. So, involved in the baggage process but that's it.
That was the explanation we were given both at RAC and at the airport. They might not be TSA, but once they accept your bags they cannot be accessed in order to preserve security. This nuance prevented us from being able to rebook a new flight when ours was cancelled. Trust me - I wasn't going down without a fight on this one. It was painful.
Old 01-13-2019, 05:54 PM   #23
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by reblzmom View Post
That was the explanation we were given both at RAC and at the airport. They might not be TSA, but once they accept your bags they cannot be accessed in order to preserve security. This nuance prevented us from being able to rebook a new flight when ours was cancelled. Trust me - I wasn't going down without a fight on this one. It was painful.
It is not easy to retrieve a bag once you've check it - period. Just the nuance that it wouldn't be TSA per se.

Begs the question since you say you couldn't rebook a cancelled flight. How did you get home? Given enough time they will recover your bag for you if a flight is cancelled. It's just that it's a lot of time. They are your goods and they can't hold them hostage - at least not that I've ever encountered.
Old 01-13-2019, 06:06 PM   #24
reblzmom
Grand Villa

Quote:
It is not easy to retrieve a bag once you've check it - period. Just the nuance that it wouldn't be TSA per se.

Begs the question since you say you couldn't rebook a cancelled flight. How did you get home? Given enough time they will recover your bag for you if a flight is cancelled. It's just that it's a lot of time. They are your goods and they can't hold them hostage - at least not that I've ever encountered.
As soon as we got notification of the cancellation we were on the phone with Southwest. They had 2 seats for us on a late flight but couldn't book us. They realized it was because our bags were checked already. We had to go to the airport, find our bags, and rebook. By that time we could only get the next day out. Locating the bags at the airport took hours. Finally they just showed up on a carousel. Fortunately I heard an announcement about bags from canceled flights and they were among them. By that time it was about 6 hours after they were checked at RAC. We managed to make friends with the college students they charge with getting bags pulled to send to Disney, as well as the ladies in the baggage office. At the end of the day we ended up finding them on our own. We were the saddest people on the DME back to Disney. I realize the set of circumstances is unlikely, but I wont go through that again. I am happy to leave my bags with bell services and take them on DME myself.
Old 01-13-2019, 06:24 PM   #25
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by reblzmom View Post
As soon as we got notification of the cancellation we were on the phone with Southwest. They had 2 seats for us on a late flight but couldn't book us. They realized it was because our bags were checked already. We had to go to the airport, find our bags, and rebook. By that time we could only get the next day out. Locating the bags at the airport took hours. Finally they just showed up on a carousel. Fortunately I heard an announcement about bags from canceled flights and they were among them. By that time it was about 6 hours after they were checked at RAC. We managed to make friends with the college students they charge with getting bags pulled to send to Disney, as well as the ladies in the baggage office. At the end of the day we ended up finding them on our own. We were the saddest people on the DME back to Disney. I realize the set of circumstances is unlikely, but I wont go through that again. I am happy to leave my bags with bell services and take them on DME myself.
Sometimes airlines are like Disney I swear. A cancellation and rebook with checked luggage can be done although I do think that technically it's not supposed to be. Luggage does end up on planes without it's people though - so, allowed. And then sometimes they decide they can't allow it. Getting a bag back after it's checked at any locations is a royal PITB without a doubt.
Old 01-13-2019, 06:29 PM   #26
reblzmom
Grand Villa

Quote:
Sometimes airlines are like Disney I swear. A cancellation and rebook with checked luggage can be done although I do think that technically it's not supposed to be. Luggage does end up on planes without it's people though - so, allowed. And then sometimes they decide they can't allow it. Getting a bag back after it's checked at any locations is a royal PITB without a doubt.
You've got that right. They could certainly rebook us at the airport, but somehow not on the phone. So we had to Uber out there knowing full well the seats would be gone by then. On the bright side we treated ourselves to dinner at Jiko.
Old 01-13-2019, 09:41 PM   #27
nrspepe
Two Bedroom

Just returned from WDW. Flew R/T from Las Vegas. No issues at all.

I did go out of my way to thank the TSA workers for coming in. They appreciated it.
nrspepe is offline   Reply With Quote