home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Vacation Planning and Trip Countdowns
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

View Poll Results: Has DVC changed your non-DVC vacations?
No - nothing has changed. 29 55.77%
Yes - I no longer do vacations that arenít DVC 6 11.54%
Yes - I now stay in multi-bedroom accommmodations through sites like Airbnb 9 17.31%
Yes - I now camp on other trips because DVC dues are so high itís all I can afford 0 0%
Yes - I look for other timeshares to fill the void 5 9.62%
Yes - I wear headphones with cheesy music so that wherever I am, it feels like DVC 3 5.77%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-18-2019, 10:40 PM   #1
mountainjourno
Grand Villa

Default Has DVC changed how you vacation elsewhere?

Has owning DVC changed how you vacation elsewhere?

I used to stay in normal studio hotel rooms and it never occurred to me to do anything differently. But having been spoilt by many stays in DVC one and two bedroom villas, I just canít do it anymore. Thankfully Airbnb has made getting multi-bedroom apartments easier though! So in the last couple of years, trips to Norway, China, Hawaii, the Rockies etc have been in awesome apartments and houses instead of the usual studio.

Have your DVC vacations changed how you stay in other places too?

mountainjourno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 11:20 PM   #2
Jawfish
One Bedroom

We stay in studios for DVC so no changes for us.

1971 Offsite
1987 Offsite
1995 Offsite
1999 Offsite
2010 Fort Wilderness
2012 Fort Wilderness
2014 DAAR (May)
2015 Became DVC Owners
2015 PVB (Oct - 1st DVC Trip)
2016 PVB (May - Honeymoon)
2017 BLT (May)
2017 AK / PVB (Nov)
2018 PVB (Sep)
2018 Offsite (Dec)

2019 Offsite (May)
2019 PVB (Sep)
2019 PVB (Dec)
Jawfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 11:23 PM   #3
a1000monkeys
Grand Villa

I discovered timeshares right after my first kid was born and realized I never wanted to stay in a hotel again. I think that change in behavior led me to DVC. Renting timeshares led me to VRBO and Airbnb. Our upcoming trip to Japan are in private house Airbnb. No way I want to share a hotel room with 3 kids. When Iím not at DVC Iím usually renting vacation homes or other timeshares unless itís just me and DW.
Old 01-18-2019, 11:42 PM   #4
pooh bears mom
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1000monkeys View Post
I discovered timeshares right after my first kid was born and realized I never wanted to stay in a hotel again. I think that change in behavior led me to DVC. Renting timeshares led me to VRBO and Airbnb. Our upcoming trip to Japan are in private house Airbnb. No way I want to share a hotel room with 3 kids. When Iím not at DVC Iím usually renting vacation homes or other timeshares unless itís just me and DW.
Old 01-19-2019, 12:10 AM   #5
cpnkirk
Two Bedroom

Absolutely spoiled rotten. Not to mentioned often shocked when comparing somewhat basic hotel rooms to much nicer (and larger!) rooms. The difference in price is often much less than you might think.
Nov 2017 BWV/BRV/AKV
Dec 2016, POR
March 2014, off site

cpnkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 12:44 AM   #6
mountainjourno
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpnkirk View Post
Absolutely spoiled rotten. Not to mentioned often shocked when comparing somewhat basic hotel rooms to much nicer (and larger!) rooms. The difference in price is often much less than you might think.
Agreed. I just finished booking a Christmas trip to Maui. For less than the cost of a studio at a hotel, our family of 4 rented a 2-bedroom 2-bathroom ocean-view condo a short walk to the beach. Happily the owner didnít raise their rates for Christmas!

mountainjourno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 03:21 AM   #7
Brian5581
Add-on Aficionado

No change here, but it’s only me so fortunately avoid most of those sharing issues.
Brian5581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 08:05 AM   #8
Redhead58
Two Bedroom

Yes, before DVC would not have considered a time share. Now I own 4 others that I split with my siblings. We were paying over $1200 a week each for two 2 bedrooms, going the same week each year, then found a timeshare nearby having a special buy in price, and bought in for $1000 each. Annual MF much less, and after splitting cost comes in under $450 each for the week, right on the beach. Other family members and friends have already said they will pay to come if either of us skip a year. Itís sort of like our family reunion place. And itís not too far from WDW so I can go there for a night before or after if I want.

BLT
BWV
CCV
Redhead58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 11:02 AM   #9
carolina_yankee
Administrator

I voted AirBnB, though we fit somewhere between there and no difference at all.

I'm at a point where I do avoid motels unless absolutely necessary or they are unique and have appeal on their own (Seal Rock Inn in San Francisco and major extended road trips where options are limited in rural areas).

We also stay in guest houses/B&Bs more and are trying our first airbnb in a couple of weeks. I guess I'd say we are looking for a more personal touch and nicer theming.

I still enjoy a good chain hotel stay with room service but have grown disenchanted with their generic looks.

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 11:29 AM   #10
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

No difference for us. Having a family changed how we might travel, but DVC was not a factor in this.