home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Tours and Events
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05-16-2018, 12:16 PM   #41
erikthewise
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBNurseNH View Post
Just did the 8am last month with my family. It was amazing. Here is my review:

https://forum.touringplans.com/t/wil...pictures/45404

YOU WILL LOVE IT!
Sweet! An excellent representation of the tour.

Your son was "just about" old enough?

Charter Member of OOO (Order Of the Oval)
erikthewise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 12:21 PM   #42
disneycrazy
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by RweTHEREyet View Post
Loved our review and your pictures. Thanks for taking the time to write this up and share it.

Do you have any idea what the harness weighs? The weight limit says 300 lbs. with the harness on and one of our party has been losing weight and has just gotten under the 300 lb. limit. I am worried the harness might put them over.
I'm going to say that the weight is the weight that the harness can support....it isn't added to the weight of the person. As long as the person is under the 300, it would be fine. But if in doubt, ask when you are booking.
Old 05-16-2018, 12:41 PM   #43
Mickeyfan0805
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneycrazy View Post
I'm going to say that the weight is the weight that the harness can support....it isn't added to the weight of the person. As long as the person is under the 300, it would be fine. But if in doubt, ask when you are booking.
I would also suggest that the person be thoughtful about what will happen between now and the tour. I don't know about that individual, but I know my weight is notably higher by the end of a Disney trip than it was when I began. If someone is 'right there' at the start of a trip, he/she very well may be over by day 3 or 4.
Old 05-16-2018, 12:43 PM   #44
ermindy1133
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickeyfan0805 View Post
I would also suggest that the person be thoughtful about what will happen between now and the tour. I don't know about that individual, but I know my weight is notably higher by the end of a Disney trip than it was when I began. If someone is 'right there' at the start of a trip, he/she very well may be over by day 3 or 4.
Good point! Those Mickey bars do add up, don't they?
Old 05-16-2018, 01:17 PM   #45
OBNurseNH
Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by RweTHEREyet View Post
Loved our review and your pictures. Thanks for taking the time to write this up and share it.

Do you have any idea what the harness weighs? The weight limit says 300 lbs. with the harness on and one of our party has been losing weight and has just gotten under the 300 lb. limit. I am worried the harness might put them over.
Thanks for the feedback! I love writing about my experiences in travel, especially WDW!

The weight limit is for your body. If you weigh more than 300 you won't be able to go, but if you're under you're good. At least that was my understanding. You could always call and ask, or alternately you could write to the WAT help desk:

The email address for the Wild Africa Trek help desk is wdw.dak.wat.help.desk@disney.com This is from the email they sent me prior to our tour. They do ask for your name, phone number, and date and time of your trek so I wonder if they will respond without that information? Worth a shot if you don't get anywhere by calling the reservation number and asking.
OBNurseNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 01:20 PM   #46
OBNurseNH
Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikthewise View Post
Sweet! An excellent representation of the tour.

Your son was "just about" old enough?
? I don't understand what you're getting at?
OBNurseNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 02:50 PM   #47
Mass Transit
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leftcoaster View Post
And make sure you don't have an idiot Lyft driver. My Lyft driver got lost going to Animal Kingdom 3 times. Twice on the trip to Animal Kingdom and once in the parking lot of Animal Kingdom. Oh, and I was staying at Kidani.
You didn't pay by mileage, did you??

Mass Transit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 03:28 PM   #48
CaptJacksFamily
Grand Villa

Straight from a WAT guide:
They weigh you before you put on the harness. If you don't make the weight they will try to offer you a "walk around" where you will miss the bridges and other areas that require the harnesses and meet back up with your group on the truck. the ability to do a "walk around" depends if they have an extra guide but they typically do.

If you know for some reason you will not be doing the bridges such as weight for the harness or fear of heights you can prearrange for a walk around to be sure they have a guide available.

Another option is to do the Savor the Savanna tour which goes straight to the truck missing the bridges or a need for a harness.
Old 05-16-2018, 05:04 PM   #49
Mickeyfan0805
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptJacksFamily View Post
Straight from a WAT guide:
They weigh you before you put on the harness. If you don't make the weight they will try to offer you a "walk around" where you will miss the bridges and other areas that require the harnesses and meet back up with your group on the truck.
Sadly, the bridges (which are quite cool) are not the only things that require harnesses. Some of the viewpoints (looking down at the hippos for example) require a harness as well. For me, if I were required to skip all of the harness points, the tour would no longer be worth it - those moments were the highlight for us.
Old 05-16-2018, 07:05 PM   #50
BEAM4DVC
One Bedroom

Did the WAT years ago and loved it! Our family of 4 had an amazing time! You're all going to love it!
BEAM4DVC is offline   Reply With Quote