home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > Questions about Buying and Selling DVC
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

 Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes

Old 01-15-2018, 12:09 AM   #21
Kerri jo
Two Bedroom
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 555
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowrbazzle View Post
This is something I've wondered about for a while. What is the procedure for selling a contract without involving a broker? Given a community such as this (or other boards), it seems like there'd be a decent market for buying and selling without having to fork over a commission. How hard is it to For Sale By Owner DVC?
It is as simple as calling a title company (First American Title in the 407 is who Disney uses, but it could be any title company) and paying the costs associated with a real estate transfer, which is approximately $600.
__________________
2018 ~ PVB & King Kamehameha Club Level (yes, totally worth it!), BLT; PVB; VGF; PVB; PVB; 2017 ~ SOG, PVB, BLT, PVB, AUL; 2016 ~ DLP, SOG; 2015 ~ DLR, SOG; 2014 ~ DLR, SOG; 2013 ~ BCV, VWL, AKV, SSR; 2012 ~ DLR, SOG; 2011 ~ DLR, SOG; 2010 ~ BCV, BWV; 2009 ~ BCV, BWV, OKW; 2008 ~ Poly; 2007 ~ POP, CSR, VBO; 2006 ~ DLR; 2005 ~ BWV, SOG, VWL, DLR; 2004 ~ SOG; 2003 ~ GF, Poly, Cont; 2002 ~ OKW; 2001 ~ THV; 1990s ~ AS; 1980s ~ FW, Cont.
Kerri jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 12:49 AM   #22
pooh bears mom
Grand Villa
 
pooh bears mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: New England
Posts: 2,681
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlovesee View Post
Husband and I have been members since 2007, started with a 25 point contract at OKW, and slowely added on until we got to our current 213 points at four resorts, OKW, VWL, BLT and Poly. Don't regret the last three, have never had a good stay at OKW and have been using them pretty much as "fill in the blanks" for stays the last several years. However, since we stay Marathon weekend primarly it is becoming more and more a pain to book anything at 7 months period.

I had a thought, that maybe I could sell my two 25 point OKW contracts (one is 2042 exp and one is 2057), and use that to buy 25 points at BLT which is one of the resorts we own and quite frankly my favorite when it comes to location, point chart (standard view rocks!), and room layout. I could do a lot more with 75 BLT points then 50 BLT and 50 OKW basically. I looked at OKW is selling at around $90 a point? Also from reading previous posts on the issue, it doesn't seem stripped contracts reduce the resale value much and both of my contracts are stripped.

I am interested in everyone's thoughts on this, could I realistically sell 50 at OKW and have enough to buy 25 at BLT, even with seller commission?

TIA!

Jennifer
Yes, but, do you want to downsize by 25 points? I would purchase the 25 direct.
__________________
pooh bears mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 01:12 AM   #23
Crafty
Grand Villa
 
Crafty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 1,259
Default

We feel the same way about SSR that you feel about OKW. We sold our SSR points and bought more OKW. I am sure that we lost money on the deal because of the commission. However, we feel better about what we own and have never regretted it.

I agree that it is becoming more and more difficult to get 7 month reservations. When Galaxys Edge opens, reservations will be even more difficult.

There doesnít seem to be much point in having an eleven month window where you donít want a reservation. So, I would sell.

OR... What about renting your OKW points and using the money to buy those extra one time use points with the money? We have never done this, but it is a thought. Someone else might know more about it.
Crafty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 09:41 AM   #24
bubster
Grand Villa
 
bubster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Washington IL
Posts: 3,649
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafty View Post

There doesnít seem to be much point in having an eleven month window where you donít want a reservation. So, I would sell.

OR... What about renting your OKW points and using the money to buy those extra one time use points with the money? We have never done this, but it is a thought. Someone else might know more about it.
The only problem with the one time use points is that they can only be used at the 7 month mark and availability. Probably not helping at BLT.
__________________
Visitor Since '75 owner since '09
bubster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 11:44 AM   #25
rowrbazzle
Grand Villa
 
rowrbazzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: TX
Posts: 1,025
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerri jo View Post
It is as simple as calling a title company (First American Title in the 407 is who Disney uses, but it could be any title company) and paying the costs associated with a real estate transfer, which is approximately $600.
Huh. That's not too bad. Although I guess it depends on how much your contract is worth as to if that's more than the commission.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafty View Post
We feel the same way about SSR that you feel about OKW. We sold our SSR points and bought more OKW. I am sure that we lost money on the deal because of the commission. However, we feel better about what we own and have never regretted it.

I agree that it is becoming more and more difficult to get 7 month reservations. When Galaxys Edge opens, reservations will be even more difficult.
That's part of the reason I'm thinking about holding out for Riviera. I'm sure it'll be expensive, but any kind of direct add-on is expensive. And with Riviera, you'd have easy access to refurbished Hollywood Studios and then Epcot and a contract twice as long as the Crescent Lake resorts.
__________________
rowrbazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 01:02 PM   #26
cornbread4
One Bedroom
 
cornbread4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Illinois
Posts: 255
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlovesee View Post
Husband and I have been members since 2007, started with a 25 point contract at OKW, and slowely added on until we got to our current 213 points at four resorts, OKW, VWL, BLT and Poly. Don't regret the last three, have never had a good stay at OKW and have been using them pretty much as "fill in the blanks" for stays the last several years. However, since we stay Marathon weekend primarly it is becoming more and more a pain to book anything at 7 months period.

I had a thought, that maybe I could sell my two 25 point OKW contracts (one is 2042 exp and one is 2057), and use that to buy 25 points at BLT which is one of the resorts we own and quite frankly my favorite when it comes to location, point chart (standard view rocks!), and room layout. I could do a lot more with 75 BLT points then 50 BLT and 50 OKW basically. I looked at OKW is selling at around $90 a point? Also from reading previous posts on the issue, it doesn't seem stripped contracts reduce the resale value much and both of my contracts are stripped.

I am interested in everyone's thoughts on this, could I realistically sell 50 at OKW and have enough to buy 25 at BLT, even with seller commission?

TIA!

Jennifer
25 pt resale contracts are few and far between- and the spread vs direct is much smaller. BLT is waitlisted right now, so not sure how long you'll have to wait, but something should eventually come through.

Stripped will go for less- it's most noticeable when compared to loaded ones. But there are very few 25pt contracts on the market, so it shouldn't impact you as much as it would for larger contracts. Smaller contracts also go for more $ / pt due to scarcity & higher demand. I looked and saw 25 & 50 pt OKW contracts gong for > $100/pt, so you'll probably be able to get more than you initially thought..

All-in-all, you should be pretty close to paying for 25pt BLT with your two OKW contracts. BLT prices go up this week too, but not by as much as others: from $185/pt to $191/pt.
cornbread4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:17 PM.

© MouseOwners. "MouseOwners" is a registered servicemark. This is an unofficial fan site and is not affiliated in any way with The Walt Disney Company, the Disney Vacation Club, Disney Vacation Development, or any of their affiliates or subsidiaries. All Disney images © The Walt Disney Company.
Powered by Forum Software