home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Transportation
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 04-23-2018, 12:45 PM   #1
rch2101
Studio

Default Random Shower thought about transportation from AKV to Animal Kingdom Park

I just mentioned this to DVCQUEEN in a text... "A SAFARI RIDE FROM THE LODGE TO THE THEME PARK!!!"

Now all you experienced Disney folk please commence to explaining to me why my idea makes no sense LOL... pretty much the case with most of my ideas.
rch2101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 01:01 PM   #2
PSULion22
Grand Villa

There is no safari between AKL and DAK. It's just undeveloped land. If anything, I can see a gondola system in the future if it works well.
PSULion22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 01:28 PM   #3
Nickys
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSULion22 View Post
There is no safari between AKL and DAK. It's just undeveloped land. If anything, I can see a gondola system in the future if it works well.
There are apparently some kind of plans away down the line, although it doesn't seem to be a priority at all I don't think it'll be a gondola system. Possibly something akin to a WEDway, or light train connecting to Rafiki's station.

I'd be happy enough with a path, to walk along. But not going to happen it seems. I really cannot understand it at all, there's a perfectly good verge most of the way there, they just need a couple of crossing points.
Nickys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 01:39 PM   #4
PSULion22
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickys View Post
There are apparently some kind of plans away down the line, although it doesn't seem to be a priority at all I don't think it'll be a gondola system. Possibly something akin to a WEDway, or light train connecting to Rafiki's station.

I'd be happy enough with a path, to walk along. But not going to happen it seems. I really cannot understand it at all, there's a perfectly good verge most of the way there, they just need a couple of crossing points.
Why/how would they build a train all the way to Rafiki's? It's probably 3x as far through undeveloped land and large parts of the park. It makes no sense whatsoever. Take a look at Google maps and see the real arrangement of AKL to DAk. Hint: The safari at AKL is not even remotely close to the safari at DAK. A gondola would be a short trip over the trees to the main entrance.
Old 04-23-2018, 01:51 PM   #5
Nickys
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Why/how would they build a train all the way to Rafiki's? It's probably 3x as far through undeveloped land and large parts of the park. It makes no sense whatsoever. Take a look at Google maps and see the real arrangement of AKL to DAk. Hint: The safari at AKL is not even remotely close to the safari at DAK. A gondola would be a short trip over the trees to the main entrance.
I have no idea why! It's a rumour that's one of several options.

But a gondola is unlikely to happen. It seems that option has been ruled out already. Possibly because the actual installation would disturb the animals at the AKL savannahs?
Old 04-23-2018, 02:02 PM   #6
PSULion22
Grand Villa

Here is the map of the DAK/AKL locations. AKL is in the very bottom left corner of the image. That is the savannah around Jambo. The red box closest to that area is Pandora. In the middle of the bottom edge is the DAK parking lot and main entrance (obviously). Conservation Station (Rafiki's) is the triangle shaped grove of trees above the upper red box, and below E Savannah Cir at the very top. Conservation Way is the train track to CS. I see no reasonable way for them to connect AKL to CS. Kilimanjaro Safaris is the grassy area to the left of the upper red box.

Old 04-23-2018, 02:08 PM   #7
PSULion22
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickys View Post
I have no idea why! It's a rumour that's one of several options.

But a gondola is unlikely to happen. It seems that option has been ruled out already. Possibly because the actual installation would disturb the animals at the AKL savannahs?
Rumor from who? Honestly, anyone who is coming up with that rumor has never looked at a map.

And who is ruling it out? Transportation from the front side of AKL to the entrance of DAK seems to be the only viable option, whether that's a train or gondola. Given their focus on doing things most cost effectively, a gondola seems more likely than a train.
Old 04-23-2018, 02:12 PM   #8
Nickys
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Here is the map of the DAK/AKL locations. AKL is in the very bottom left corner of the image. That is the savannah around Jambo. The red box closest to that area is Pandora. In the middle of the bottom edge is the DAK parking lot and main entrance (obviously). Conservation Station (Rafiki's) is the triangle shaped grove of trees above the upper red box, and below E Savannah Cir at the very top. Conservation Way is the train track to CS. I see no reasonable way for them to connect AKL to CS. Kilimanjaro Safaris is the grassy area to the left of the upper red box.

Thanks!

All of which is probably why the plans are away off, because there is no easy answer.

Except a walking path! Which would be simple to do, wouldn't bother the animals and be the quickest.

So that won't happen then, for all three reasons.
Old 04-23-2018, 02:19 PM   #9
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Since they are literally next to each other, I don't see any additional transportation option ever being added.

You leave AK resort, make a left.....go a little over 1/2 mile, make another left, go half mile and get off bus.
Old 04-23-2018, 02:20 PM   #10
FessParker1
One Bedroom

If you look at most of the roads around the entire property there are very few direct routes to get anywhere. keep you on the road longer so less time in the parks so you have to come back to see what you missed.
FessParker1 is offline   Reply With Quote