home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Transportation
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05-13-2018, 09:06 PM   #1
MelMass
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Default Uber from WDW to Universal?

Is Uber Carseat the best way to get from WDW to Universal? (We will not have a car.) It's two adults and a 3 year old traveling.

Last edited by MelMass; 05-13-2018 at 09:31 PM.
MelMass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 10:08 PM   #2
beansprout
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelMass View Post
Is Uber Carseat the best way to get from WDW to Universal? (We will not have a car.) It's two adults and a 3 year old traveling.
We had never tried Uber or Lyft until our February trip. Took Lyft to and from Universal, Lyft to church and Uber back, It was wonderful! We figured out that six of us using Uber and Lyft twice that week spent under $100. Those two trips were all we needed a car for so it saved us money, especially seeing we needed a six passenger vehicle.
beansprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 11:11 PM   #3
MelMass
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Default Uber

We've never used either, but I'm thinking with parking fees and the rental car expense, it would be cheaper to Uber. BUT we are a little "hesitant" to use Uber - we don't want to get murdered or dumped in the middle of no where
But we also don't want to pay an arm and a leg just to get from Point A to Point B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beansprout View Post
We had never tried Uber or Lyft until our February trip. Took Lyft to and from Universal, Lyft to church and Uber back, It was wonderful! We figured out that six of us using Uber and Lyft twice that week spent under $100. Those two trips were all we needed a car for so it saved us money, especially seeing we needed a six passenger vehicle.
MelMass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 07:27 AM   #4
beansprout
Grand Villa

Our experience was good. All three Lyft drivers were professional. The one Uber driver was nice but didnít know the route very well. We used our cell phone to help direct him. Try it once and youíll see how easy it can be!
beansprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 08:01 AM   #5
bobbafett
Grand Villa

I use Uber all the time in wdw. Even hotel to parks, park to park, wdw to us.

I do not have a need for car seat but if my past several years tells me you should be fine.

For the one post about driver not knowing the route. I have experienced this. I'm not sure if this is a way for drivers to get a higher fare, knowing I'm only going akl to Floridian.
AKL 14, AKL 16, AKL/VWL 16, SS 17.

bobbafett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 09:55 AM   #6
B'rer Karen
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by beansprout View Post
When going to Universal, was there a specific area for pick up\drop off for Lyft\Uber? If so, where was it, and is it clearly marked as such? Just trying to figure out how the drive knows where to get you when leaving Universal at the end of the day.

Karen

WDW:Offsite '85, Offsite '90, Offsite '96, DI '00, DI '01, S/D Nov. '01, POR Sept. '02, CBR Mar. '03, S/D June '03, CBR Sept. '03, CBR Oct. '03, OKW Feb. '04, SSR/OKW Oct. '04, OKW Mar. '05, SSR Sept. '05, SSR Oct. '06, SSR Mar '07, SSR Oct. '07, SSR Oct. '08, SSR Oct. '09, AKV Feb '10, BCV Oct. '10, AKV Feb '11, BCV Oct. '11, VWL Feb '12, BCV Oct. '12, AKV Feb '13, BCV Oct. '13, AKV Feb '14, VGF/Disney Dream/BWV Oct '14, SSR Feb '15, AKV Oct '15, BLT Mar '16, SSR Feb '17, Poly Oct '17, SSR Feb '18
DL: May '00, Mar. '06,
B'rer Karen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 09:59 AM   #7
dvf_diva
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by B'rer Karen View Post
When going to Universal, was there a specific area for pick up\drop off for Lyft\Uber? If so, where was it, and is it clearly marked as such? Just trying to figure out how the drive knows where to get you when leaving Universal at the end of the day.

Karen
My clients used Uber for their April trip and there's a pick-up area in the guest parking lot, beyond Citywalk. Its the designated Guest Drop-off Zone. They said leaving was so easy because a queue of cars is lined up to take people home.

Oct 2018 POP/BWV/BLT
Feb 2019 VGF
May 2019 VGF
June 2019 BLT
August 2019 Celebrity Eclipse
October 2019 Disney Magic DVC Member Cruise??
dvf_diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 10:10 AM   #8
eandjmom
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvf_diva View Post
My clients used Uber for their April trip and there's a pick-up area in the guest parking lot, beyond Citywalk. Its the designated Guest Drop-off Zone. They said leaving was so easy because a queue of cars is lined up to take people home.
I can agree with this. Used Lyft when leaving Universal in February. It is very clearly marked and was super easy to find our driver!
eandjmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 10:11 AM   #9
B'rer Karen
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvf_diva View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by eandjmom View Post
I can agree with this. Used Lyft when leaving Universal in February. It is very clearly marked and was super easy to find our driver!
That's awesome. Thanks.

WDW:Offsite '85, Offsite '90, Offsite '96, DI '00, DI '01, S/D Nov. '01, POR Sept. '02, CBR Mar. '03, S/D June '03, CBR Sept. '03, CBR Oct. '03, OKW Feb. '04, SSR/OKW Oct. '04, OKW Mar. '05, SSR Sept. '05, SSR Oct. '06, SSR Mar '07, SSR Oct. '07, SSR Oct. '08, SSR Oct. '09, AKV Feb '10, BCV Oct. '10, AKV Feb '11, BCV Oct. '11, VWL Feb '12, BCV Oct. '12, AKV Feb '13, BCV Oct. '13, AKV Feb '14, VGF/Disney Dream/BWV Oct '14, SSR Feb '15, AKV Oct '15, BLT Mar '16, SSR Feb '17, Poly Oct '17, SSR Feb '18
DL: May '00, Mar. '06,
B'rer Karen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 10:44 AM   #10
CarolA
Add-on Aficionado

I rent a car but have used Uber to Universal City Walk to meet friends several times. (That way I can have a drink or two at dinner) It's easy and pretty cheap. I would not hesitate to do it again.

I was staying at SSR and did have them pick me up and drop me off at the main lobby since I was traveling alone.
CarolA is online now   Reply With Quote