home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Transportation
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05-17-2018, 02:28 PM   #11
Beachclub2015
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Default Driving vs bus

My question is...now that they are charging for overnight parking at the resorts would you have to pay for that and the daily parking at the parks?
Beachclub2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 02:29 PM   #12
PSULion22
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachclub2015 View Post
My question is...now that they are charging for overnight parking at the resorts would you have to pay for that and the daily parking at the parks?
Onsite guests get free parking at the parks for all days of their reservation, including check out date.
PSULion22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 02:30 PM   #13
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachclub2015 View Post
Free parking at the parks is still a benefit of staying onsite.

And if you are staying on a DVC reservation you will have free parking at the resort.
Old 05-17-2018, 02:31 PM   #14
LR0929
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandrobin View Post
To me, AK has the best all around Disney Transportation of all the WDW DVC resorts.

All of the other resorts has one or two "gotchas" to a Disney Park or Disney Springs. AK is solid all around......dedicated to AK, 1 stop at AK. Nothing else is consistent.
When we stayed there this past week, there were several times that they had dedicated Kidani and Jambo house buses picking up from the parks. We got on which ever bus came first and then walked to Kidani if necessary, but I never realized it was done that way until this trip. I always just thought it was one AKL bus that stopped at Jambo and Kidani.
LR0929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 02:34 PM   #15
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by LR0929 View Post
When we stayed there this past week, there were several times that they had dedicated Kidani and Jambo house buses picking up from the parks. We got on which ever bus came first and then walked to Kidani if necessary, but I never realized it was done that way until this trip. I always just thought it was one AKL bus that stopped at Jambo and Kidani.
It was some time within the past year - maybe started last summer - that they started doing routes to each location at busy times.

On your park to park trip that took so long - I've found that those are the routes that Disney devotes less resources to and the buses don't necessarily run every 20 minutes. There certainly can be snags with the buses, no doubt. We were at Jambo in April and I don't think we ever had anything more than a 10 minute wait. But that's a plus to the cars as you know where they are and that they will leave when you are ready! The buses - you might walk right up or you might have just missed one leaving. The monitors help a TON just knowing when you can expect it. If it's 20 minutes you could run back and get a drink or some such thing should you choose.
Old 05-17-2018, 02:43 PM   #16
LR0929
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofygrl View Post
It was some time within the past year - maybe started last summer - that they started doing routes to each location at busy times.

On your park to park trip that took so long - I've found that those are the routes that Disney devotes less resources to and the buses don't necessarily run every 20 minutes. There certainly can be snags with the buses, no doubt. We were at Jambo in April and I don't think we ever had anything more than a 10 minute wait. But that's a plus to the cars as you know where they are and that they will leave when you are ready! The buses - you might walk right up or you might have just missed one leaving. The monitors help a TON just knowing when you can expect it. If it's 20 minutes you could run back and get a drink or some such thing should you choose.
Yes! Love the monitors! I also think that some shade would go a long way. The bus stops that aren't covered are brutal! It makes a 20 minute wait in the Florida sun feel like an hour!

When we were waiting at MK and the two buses pulled in behind one another, a transportation cast member went right over to both drivers and confronted them about it. I could only hear bits and pieces, but I did hear one of the drivers saying that it wasn't his fault and that he was the one who showed up on time
LR0929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 02:53 PM   #17
Leftcoaster
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofygrl View Post

And keep in mind, they are rolling out the bus times on the phone app. So, you should be able to monitor that from your phone.

"Being a princess means so much more than wearing a tiara and a pretty dress" - Cinderellabration
Leftcoaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 02:55 PM   #18
Mass Transit
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandrobin View Post
Bus fan here.....

I find that the buses work for us most of the time. The drive time from Ak to the parks is the same whether its a car or bus.

The differences are -
Waiting for the bus vs car is always ready.
Parking car in lot and walking or riding the tram to the drop off.
Bus is already cooled/heated.
Cost money to park, bus is free.
Someone else drives, you get to relax.

For MK, driving you have to park at TTC and take the boat over.

traffic at the end of the night is a bitch.
Also, using Disney transportation lets you take-in the sights along the way, instead of constantly trying to read signs (there are new routes) and pick the correct lane.
We're on vacation and refuse to drive. If we were local, we may use a different strategy.

and MNSSHP!

Mass Transit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 03:15 PM   #19
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

There are times when we have driven to the park. Like later at night when we are not staying until closing and want to get in and out quicker. One place I will not drive to (unless I had to for a tour) would be MK. It never is faster to drive when you take into consideration the parking location.

AKL is good with buses in general. In fact I find the bus only resorts like AKL and OKW to be better with buses than at a place like BC or BW.
Old 05-17-2018, 03:19 PM   #20
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

My grandsons love the buses......Lots of things to see and do and no car seats.