home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Transportation
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-03-2010, 06:47 PM   #1
Delaware Mike
DVC Board Guide

Default Are You Driving To Disney - Ask the Local Experts

Driving to Disney this year? Need to get information from the “local experts” along your intended route? Then you’ve come to the right place! Mouse Owners has a great number of members who do two things... they post on a website dedicated to helping folks enjoy all things Disney (in addition to DVC), and they happen to live along major highways which lead us all "home". Why not share information with folks, or ask folks for information, in one place for all to benefit?

A lot of posts and threads are taking place on the board concerning driving to Disney, and the thought occurs to some that it might be helpful for members living along the major routes to share local, or regional, driving information. Who better to share driving information but our “local experts?”

Perhaps it would be best if we have different threads for different routes, each with information specific to that route to WDW. Of course, we can also eventually list routes of travel to DL as well, but WDW was used as a start for the threads. Information pertaining to driving routes, shortcuts around well-known congestion points, and construction can be included. Of course, these are just initial thoughts, so whatever driving information you think would be helpful to your fellow-Mouse Owners can be included here. One thought was a member might know of a really clean, and inexpensive, motel along their route which they wouldn’t mind sharing. Another member might share information about how to get around construction which is scheduled to last for months (like in Delaware, the dreaded I-95 toll plaza construction at the DE-MD Stateline).

Here’s how these "sticky" threads will work. There will be an initial posting within each thread where all the relevant information will reside. After the initial posting, replies from our members could contribute updates. It is hoped that whoever makes the initial post will take ownership of that thread, and update it with the information provided by member replies. Should a reply have a lot of information to share, a simple link can be inserted within the initial post to take folks to the update. For example, if someone posts a long update on the area hotels in Savannah, Georgia, the link provided within the thread’s initial post takes folks to the update. (Thanks for that idea, Dirk!)

Within the initial post, several sections can be found which relate to Route Information, Standard Travel Tips (routes around a known bottleneck, for instance), Temporary Travel Tips (routes around a temporary bottleneck or long-term construction, maybe), Good Hotel/Motels, Scenic Vistas and Things-to-See, Rest Areas, Dining. What makes it into the initial post depends on the suggestions made by folks.

To help with the management of these threads, replies should be labeled in the Title field with something along this format:

Major Route – Direction - State – City – Type of Information - Date(s)

For example, a reply about how to get around the Toll Plaza at the Delaware-Maryland state line while driving south on Interstate 95, my title might look like:

I-95 – South – Delaware – Newark – Stateline Toll plaza Construction – May 2010 to Sept 2011
(This post might talk about an easy local route to get you around this bottleneck.)

We will start with the I-95 route, see how this idea works out for folks, and other threads might include information for the I-75 and I-10 routes. (A nice route from the Mid-West would be really good too!) Please feel free to add routes, however, please stick with the basic title format. This will not only help other members in finding pertinent information, but will make managing this information a lot easier.

Please feel free to make suggestions by way of replies to the "stickies" (hopefully more will soon appear) for information you'd like to see. Perhaps you'll find yourself sharing your favorite piece of information from your driving trip "home"!

Delaware Mike
Delaware Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 02:45 PM   #2
Redhead58
One Bedroom

Default I 77 South Nov 8 Charlotte, NC traffic issues?

Hi. I am traveling through Charlotte, NC down I 77 and was wondering what the traffic is typically like in that city on that route. I will get there about 10:30 am.

Any info is appreciated. Thanks!
Old 07-01-2015, 11:03 AM   #3
beckythetechy
One Bedroom

Driving down to WDW from Kentucky in September. Leaving at Midnight, driving straight through.

I can choose from 2 different routes:

ROUTE 1: South through Nashville, Chattanooga, Atlanta, finally Orlando via I75

ROUTE 2: South East via Knoxville, Ashville, Columbia, to I95 south to Orlando

According to gmaps Route 1 is an hour shorter, but Route 2 doesn't have tolls. Also Route 2 would offer us the option to get off the highway and maybe hit a beach in the afternoon.

So the questions are:
1. do you prefer I75 vs I95 in terms of less traffic, less construction, better places to stop?

2. are there any beaches you recommend for an afternoon stop off I95? Obviously a public beach, but maybe one that doesn't get too crowded?

ME DH DS(7) DD(4) DD(2)
Visits to the World: JUL 1987 First visit! JUL 1998 (POR) JAN 2005 (POR) SEP 2015 (BWV)
"I'm 99.9% sure I'm a Disney Princess...that .1% of uncertainty is because birds don't talk to me...yet!"
beckythetechy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 11:37 AM   #4
maquayla
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckythetechy View Post
Driving down to WDW from Kentucky in September. Leaving at Midnight, driving straight through.

According to gmaps Route 1 is an hour shorter, but Route 2 doesn't have tolls. Also Route 2 would offer us the option to get off the highway and maybe hit a beach in the afternoon.

So the questions are:
1. do you prefer I75 vs I95 in terms of less traffic, less construction, better places to stop?

2. are there any beaches you recommend for an afternoon stop off I95? Obviously a public beach, but maybe one that doesn't get too crowded?
Hi, I live halfway between Nashville and Chattanooga off 24. If you do come this was stopping for a rest at city cafe in Chattanooga is a must. Their food and cakes are amazing.
Old 07-01-2015, 12:05 PM   #5
Lamima
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by maquayla View Post
Hi, I live halfway between Nashville and Chattanooga off 24. If you do come this was stopping for a rest at city cafe in Chattanooga is a must. Their food and cakes are amazing.
July 24 or 25, I am driving from MD to Chattanooga for my girls' softball nationals and after that we drive down to WDW for vacation. Any other restaurant suggestions?

DVC since 2006- own at OKW, HHI and BWV
LAURA's next trip(s):
2018- Oct 5-6 at CCV before Oct 6-14 CCL Horizon Oct 14-15 at HHI and Dec 19-24 at BWV
2019- Jan 4-12 RCCL Grandeur OTS and May???
Lamima is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 01:13 PM   #6
AlwaysDreamingDisney
Grand Villa

Quote:

So the questions are:

Becky, the last time we drove down was for Christmas break 2013. So my info may be off BUT we've decided that when we drive this Christmas we will be taking the toll road when entering Florida!

Traffic was horrible and the closer we got to Orlando the worse it kept getting! We were stuck in crawling traffic for well over an hour - multiple fender bender type accidents and one major one. I plan on purchasing a Sunpass sticker late this year as we plan for this trip. Your experiences may be different.

Can't help with the beach. Good luck and safe travels!

Now all of my kids are "Disney Adults"

Proud owner at VGC, VWL, SSR & OKW
AlwaysDreamingDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 01:32 PM   #7
JaxFLBear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
If you take I-75 to FL Turnpike (toll) to FL-429 (toll), you can get to Disney using a back entrance. If you exit FL-429 on to Western Way, you will end up at Buena Vista Dr by Coronado Springs.

Anyone that's planning on driving through FL should checkout the FL 511 website and/or the FL 511 mobile app. You can also dial 511 in FL from a cell phone to get traffic information. Orlando traffic is also available on SiriusXM channel 134 on the 9's (:09, :19, etc.)

Earlier this year (Feb), FDOT began a 6.5 year project to rebuild 21 miles of I-4 from Longwood (Seminole County) to Kirkman Rd (by Universal Orlando). The biggest two parts of the rebuild (I-4 through downtown Orlando and the I-4 interchange with FL-408) are both projected to take at least 6 years to complete.

I-4 Ultimate website: http://i4ultimate.com/

Last edited by JaxFLBear; 08-18-2015 at 12:10 PM. Reason: SiriusXM Channel Changes effective 8/13/2015
JaxFLBear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 02:44 PM   #8
Diamndrose
Two Bedroom

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxFLBear View Post
If you take I-75 to FL Turnpike (toll) to FL-429 (toll), you can get to Disney using a back entrance. If you exit FL-429 on to Western Way, you will end up at Buena Vista Dr by Coronado Springs.

Anyone that's planning on driving through FL should checkout the FL 511 website and/or the FL 511 mobile app. You can also dial 511 in FL from a cell phone to get traffic information. Orlando traffic is also available on SiriusXM channel 136 on the 4's (:04, :14, etc.)

Earlier this year (Feb), FDOT began a 6.5 year project to rebuild 21 miles of I-4 from Longwood (Seminole County) to Kirkman Rd (by Universal Orlando). The biggest two parts of the rebuild (I-4 through downtown Orlando and the I-4 interchange with FL-408) are both projected to take at least 6 years to complete.

I-4 Ultimate website: http://i4ultimate.com/
Hi Michael,

Thanks for posting this link. I heard about the I-4 construction project from my son. We're going to drive down at the end of September.

I'll let folks know what we find regarding back-ups and possible detours.

Sue
Old 07-01-2015, 08:51 PM   #9
maquayla
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamima View Post
July 24 or 25, I am driving from MD to Chattanooga for my girls' softball nationals and after that we drive down to WDW for vacation. Any other restaurant suggestions?
If you are planning a stop in Chattanooga demos steak house is great also. I don't really know if anywhere else in Chattanooga anymore because my hubby and kids refuse to eat anywhere other than city cafe.. Lol do you know where you are staying in Chattanooga yet? If you have time the tn aquariums both fresh and saltwater are really nice.
Old 07-01-2015, 11:15 PM   #10
Lamima
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by maquayla View Post
If you are planning a stop in Chattanooga demos steak house is great also. I don't really know if anywhere else in Chattanooga anymore because my hubby and kids refuse to eat anywhere other than city cafe.. Lol do you know where you are staying in Chattanooga yet? If you have time the tn aquariums both fresh and saltwater are really nice.
Staying at Fairfield Inn in East Ridge on North Mack Smith Road. How is that area? We will be there 5 or 6 nights, likely. We'll have some down time to do some fun stuff. I'll make note of the aquariums and another MO gave me some other suggestions (I need to re-look at those and make a note as well). Thanks for the info!

DVC since 2006- own at OKW, HHI and BWV
LAURA's next trip(s):
2018- Oct 5-6 at CCV before Oct 6-14 CCL Horizon Oct 14-15 at HHI and Dec 19-24 at BWV
2019- Jan 4-12 RCCL Grandeur OTS and May???
Lamima is online now   Reply With Quote