home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > "Member Services:" Questions about Using DVC
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05-07-2019, 10:02 PM   #21
Crafty
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeyoreLover View Post
As you mentioned in your original post, another consideration is the point chart at RR. You will need more points to stay there in a 1 bedroom villa than you would at AKK, for example.

Personally, if we were looking to purchase DVC now as a new buyer, I would probably buy a resale contract for the bulk of the points and then buy a 75 point direct contract for the member benefits.

Then again, Riviera doesn’t particularly interest us. I would buy a 75 point direct contract somewhere that I wanted to stay. Are you sure that you don’t want easy MK access because you will have small children?

I would then buy resale to add the extra points. Buying more than 75 direct doesn’t get you much and costs a lot. Buying resale will allow you to buy more points. The more points you own, the more flexibility that you will have. What if a studio is not available for the dates you want to travel. It is nice to have the points to upgrade to a 1 bedroom.

I would look at the expiration dates. Many people do not keep their contracts for a lot of years. BRV is a good buy price-wise right now. ROFR is very low. It has boat access to MK. The Reflections resort will add dining options. However it expires in 2042. That may not be a bad thing, either.

If you want studios, avoid CCV. Buy the resale first so that you can buy only 75 direct.

Last edited by Crafty; 05-07-2019 at 10:16 PM.
Crafty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 10:07 PM   #22
EeyoreLover
Studio

I had the same thought as Crafty -- given that you have very young children and will probably be focused on MK for a number of years, have you considered a resale contract at BLT? Or a direct contract at CCV if you plan to stay in a 1 bedroom villa?
EeyoreLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 10:16 PM   #23
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Quote:
This seems to be scandalous to say on this forum, but I am leaning towards buying Riviera points direct. At this point my biggest issue is the point chart for the hotel, specifically 1-BR and 2-BR units. Right now we have our son who is 2 and another on the way. As the kids get older our room needs are going to change.
Not scandalous at all.....I like DRR myself, but I am skipping at this time. This is your first purchase of many. I was in the same position 13 years ago.

1. others have answered this already.

2. My first contract was for 220 points and at the time, I thought I was buying a lot. Needless to say, we added on twice within the first 9 months.

3. Ha ha ha ha ha.....who has extra points? I have owned since March 2006. I currently have 12 contracts, at four resorts. Not once in those years have I lost a single point.

Good luck in your purchase! I think DRR will be an outstanding resort and you will be happy you bought in when it opened.
Old 05-07-2019, 10:31 PM   #24
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

One thing I can guarantee you.....What your vacation needs are today will not be the same in five years. MK might be the thing now but as your kids get bigger and their tastes change, they might spend more time at DHS.

We have gone from vacationing with our three kids, to vacationing with friends after the kids graduated high school, back to vacationing with the adult kids, to now taking the kids+spouse and our two grandsons on vacation.

The reason we own at four resorts is to give us flexibility. We have SSR, AKV, BLT and VGF. The VGF contracts are mostly for just Robin and my use. The SSR is our fall back resort.....we stay there more then any other resort. Everyone loves AKV and now with grandkids, we stay there more then ever. BLT is great for our MK heavy trips or couple trips where we spend a lot of time at the monorail resorts.
Old 05-07-2019, 11:03 PM   #25
TexasChick
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandrobin View Post
One thing I can guarantee you.....What your vacation needs are today will not be the same in five years. MK might be the thing now but as your kids get bigger and their tastes change, they might spend more time at DHS.

We have gone from vacationing with our three kids, to vacationing with friends after the kids graduated high school, back to vacationing with the adult kids, to now taking the kids+spouse and our two grandsons on vacation.

The reason we own at four resorts is to give us flexibility. We have SSR, AKV, BLT and VGF. The VGF contracts are mostly for just Robin and my use. The SSR is our fall back resort.....we stay there more then any other resort. Everyone loves AKV and now with grandkids, we stay there more then ever. BLT is great for our MK heavy trips or couple trips where we spend a lot of time at the monorail resorts.
This is great advice. Your wants definitely change through the different stages of life.
Old 05-08-2019, 06:53 AM   #26
disneymomof2
Grand Villa

OP, other have already answered your original questions...but I will repeat that one time use points are only available at the 7 month mark, you need to call to purchase them (you can’t purchase them online), and if you switch your original reservation using those one time points to another resort, you cannot ‘see’ those points online and have to call again to have a CM book said reservation for you, potentially losing the booking. The only way any switch can be made seamlessly is via the waitlist system....

Another key point that has been made is that your vacation need/wants change. As a family of 4 ourselves, we quickly went from 1 bedroom to routinely staying in 2 bedrooms (the kids bring friends now). I will say that once you stay in a 1 bedroom or larger with your family, it’s very hard to go back to a studio. We have done it, but the large studios at PVB with 2 bathrooms are the only way to go with teens/older kiddos.

And the 3rd point ...you never seem to have enough points, so buy a bit more than you anticipate needing. We started with 160 points at Bay Lake 6 years ago.we now have a total of 5 contracts at 5 different resorts. Sometimes it’s our whole family with others in tow, sometimes just DH and myself...and for the first time this year, our son used the points for a trip with friends. But the points you own somehow seem to quickly escalate.....

Good luck with your decision!

ME DH DS21 DD18
disneymomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 07:19 AM   #27
disneyteach
Grand Villa

I find it interesting that your thoughts about room type are actually opposite of mine. My kids are 5 & 9. We bought back when they were 2 & 6. I wanted points to stay 10 total days (spread between different trips) in a studio. We love BLT, but those studios are small. After staying in a 2-br once with family, I knew I wanted to add more points so we could stay in a 1-br when the gets got older. We're still a studio-staying family, and I'm sure when points get tight we won't mind it, but it will be so nice to be able to spread out some when they're older.

I originally was only going to buy 125 points at BLT (resale) but that contract got ROFR'd. I ended up getting a 200 point contract for less per point. I have never regretted having the extra points. In fact, I added on a 50 point direct contract a year later, and just called to get 50 points at RR yesterday. I really don't have any advice for you, other than to share my thoughts for you to also ponder. You know what will work best for your family. I do understand the FOMO of buying a resale contract and I think I would feel the same way. I got in during the 2016 restriction uproar (my contract was already with Disney) and I didn't like the idea of not being a "full member".
disneyteach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 12:06 PM   #28
pdude81
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by walnuts24 View Post
This seems to be scandalous to say on this forum, but I am leaning towards buying Riviera points direct. At this point my biggest issue is the point chart for the hotel, specifically 1-BR and 2-BR units. Right now we have our son who is 2 and another on the way. As the kids get older our room needs are going to change.

I really want to stick to 125 points for my purchase with a plan to vacation every year or every other year. When the kids are really young, a 1 BR is really convenient because we can put them in their room at bed time and get a sitter to go to dinner/fireworks. In a few years, a studio would be more than sufficient as we can all share 1 room. 125 points gets us about a vacation every year in a studio and or every other year in a 1 BR. The cost per point at other hotels is significantly cheaper per night for 1 or 2 BR units. I am reading a lot of stuff on this forum that the 7-month booking window issues are becoming horrendous.

I have so many questions:

1. The guide told me about a 24 point purchase you can make every year for $19/point to get extra stays. I would be relying on this during certain times of year because of the point total. What has been your experience with this?

2. Looking back on your original purchase, do you ever wish you just stretched out a little more for the extra points? Financially, we can make 150 work, it would just be a little tighter for a month. The yearly fees wouldn't be a big impact on us financially, more the initial costs. However, I am worried that we would feel like we have to go every year to use points. Do you ever think that you bought too many points?

3. What happens to all the 'extra' points people end up with? I haven't ever used the system, but it seems to me that it is hard to use the exact number of points every year. What happens to the 4 or 5 points you have left over? Or does everyone figure out a way to use every single last point? Can you just keep banking and banking leftover points year after year? Or is it common to just end up overbooking and buying a few 1 time use points to cover an extra night?
1. As stated before, the one time use points are only usable in the 7 month window. They are a good opportunity if you need them here and there, but largely they are the same point cost as renting from an owner through a service. However, members do have the opportunity to get discounted cash rooms sometimes if they don't have enough points or a room is not available in the same night on points. That can sometimes help you piece together a stay while you're working the waitlist.

2. I don't wish that we stretched more on the initial purchase because we stretched on the initial purchase :-). My family had planned for a max of 150 or 160 by grabbing a 100 point AKV resale and then adding on direct later for the benefits. When all the incentives were factored in and we were shown the direct transportation benefits at Polynesian, we were sold. At that point I was sold on making the best deal I could given the charts, which was at 200 points. At that time they gave extra points rather than dollars off, so we got 20 "free points". Now they give you the equivalent of 20 points cash back at 200.

However, as many do, we decided we needed even more after than and bought AKV resale. I would never suggest someone pay $50 more per point for the same resort unless they were just looking for a 50 or less point contract and wanted their points quickly. Animal Kingdom is great and has relatively lower point costs, but the bus trips to Epcot and MK can feel like they take forever in the mornings.

Now we also just bought Riviera for a few reasons, but the most important is the direct transportation to 2 parks. It's financially a stretch to go to that level, but it will allow us to rent out the extra points we don't use at this part of our lives until our son is a little older and we mix in 1BR accomodations. As you may have already deduced, I haven't hit the "too many points" line yet and can't be sure I ever will. All the resorts we own are ones that are easy to rent out if there is a need to cover maintenance fees or unused points down the line.

I will say that if you start regularly taking deluxe trips to Disney you might find yourself going all the time like many of us do. Ten years ago I thought maybe one day I'd be able to stay in a Savannah View room, and now there is a decent chance I'll be doing that for a week every year until 2057.

3. Extra points you would want to bank and then use those up first the next year (if you have any extra that is). Then if you get to a point where you have a lot of extra, you could splurge on a bigger room, add a trip, or rent out a chunk of your points to someone else looking to stay.

--------------------------

To me you're really only looking at Riviera direct versus AKV resale here. I would first look at where you really want to stay long term. AKV points will trade to any of the original 14, but a lot of those are really hard to get in the 7 month window. You have to be comfortable staying at AKV for every trip if that's what you want. Think about the same with Riviera, although as a direct contract there will be an increasing number of options at 7 months over time.

If you plan to only go once a year or once every two then the annual pass savings aren't going to be huge for you. There are good discounts for dining and 20% off merch with DVC also but it's the AP discount that's the biggest. However, you also wouldn't get access to the DVC lounge or moonlight magic events resale. Those to me aren't important enough on their own to move the needle.

I won't tell you want amounts to choose for points, as your budget is yours, but take a look at the incentives and see if they change things for you. For us the sweet spot is 200 points, where the net price paid comes down to 171 for a first time buyer. That's actually a few dollars cheaper than if you were to buy AKV or pretty much any other resort direct. There are big jumps at 175 and 200 if you would jump up that high, but I assume whatever guide you spoke to would have already informed you of that. If you get up to 150 points or more I would strongly suggest spending the extra $200 and splitting the contracts up for future flexibility or gifts to children.

Good luck!
pdude81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 12:26 PM   #29
nrspepe
Two Bedroom

What ever direction you decide to take, Id lean towards including a number of extra points. Better to have a few more than not enough!
nrspepe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 02:22 PM   #30
walnuts24
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyteach View Post
I find it interesting that your thoughts about room type are actually opposite of mine. My kids are 5 & 9. We bought back when they were 2 & 6. I wanted points to stay 10 total days (spread between different trips) in a studio. We love BLT, but those studios are small. After staying in a 2-br once with family, I knew I wanted to add more points so we could stay in a 1-br when the gets got older. We're still a studio-staying family, and I'm sure when points get tight we won't mind it, but it will be so nice to be able to spread out some when they're older.

I originally was only going to buy 125 points at BLT (resale) but that contract got ROFR'd. I ended up getting a 200 point contract for less per point. I have never regretted having the extra points. In fact, I added on a 50 point direct contract a year later, and just called to get 50 points at RR yesterday. I really don't have any advice for you, other than to share my thoughts for you to also ponder. You know what will work best for your family. I do understand the FOMO of buying a resale contract and I think I would feel the same way. I got in during the 2016 restriction uproar (my contract was already with Disney) and I didn't like the idea of not being a "full member".
I think that we are in agreement. And I can already see the transitions as 'tomandrobin' explained. Young kids that have early bed times = 1BR. 'Medium' age kids that can hang until 9 or 10 probably can use studios. 'Large' kids (10-12 years down the road) back to 1BR or 2BR (depending on the final size of the clan). As you can tell from my lingo, I am still in the early stage of 'parenting'.
walnuts24 is online now   Reply With Quote