home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > "Member Services:" Questions about Using DVC
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 04-08-2019, 02:10 PM   #1
Themag5
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Default Possible Last Minute Cancellation: Ever had Member Service Pixie Dust?

So we have an upcoming reservation the first week of May using current year as well as borrowed points. We just found out my father-in-law has a mass in his head/sinus area that may possibly be cancer. He will have a biopsy next week to confirm. Whatever it is, it is growing fast, as his ability to breathe out of his nose and ability to hear is diminishing quickly. With that said, I was wondering if anyone ever had any pixie dust thrown at them in having to cancel a reservation last minute? We have never cancelled last minute before, and I am praying that it it benign! Thanks!

Melissa
Old 04-08-2019, 02:49 PM   #2
Breyean
Two Bedroom

Sorry to hear your story, but hope it works out as well as possible.

Three years ago I had pretty much the same situation. We had a reservation for Jan at VGC. In Dec we found out my wife had liver cancer and had to start chemo immediately. So I called MS to cancel the reservation, expecting the points to go into holding as is the policy since we were within the 30 day window.

The CM was so nice and we were both crying by the time I finished telling her why I needed to cancel. Then she said we had more important things to worry about and DVC points shouldn't be one of them. She didn't even involve a supervisor, and just arranged for the points to be returned to us w/o any restrictions.

We were very appreciative, and actually got use those points that summer for a final WDW trip (they stopped the chemo by then).

I hope you get similar treatment, and by best wishes to you and your family.
Old 04-08-2019, 05:03 PM   #3
JudieHopps
Two Bedroom

Oh my!
That is a lot for anyone to deal with.

In my experience, Disney cares and will handle your situation with proper consideration. Call and explain, Iím sure they will work with you.

Best wishes to your entire family.
JudieHopps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 05:06 PM   #4
IslaTurbine
One Bedroom

My grandfather-in-law suddenly died just days before our Vero Beach reservation. I needed to cancel so that we could fly out and attend the services. I called Member Services and explained everything. They allowed me a one-time exception to "unborrow" my borrowed points and cancel the reservation entirely. I was shocked that they did it and was thankful as well.

Best of luck.
IslaTurbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 06:03 PM   #5
Angel1123
One Bedroom

Two years ago, I had a reservation I had made for a friend. It was a reservation that had banked points and current use year points. It was at the end of the use year. 2 weeks before the trip, their 2 daughters were with their 1.5 yo cousin on a teacher inservice day and she was found dead in her crib. Trip had to be cancelled. CM allowed me to bank current points but 48 banked points used for the reservation were lost. I asked for an exception or for the points to go into holding but the trip was literally at the end of my use year.
Angel1123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 06:23 PM   #6
AlwaysDreamingDisney
Grand Villa

We just had to cancel a trip last week the day of arrival. Nothing nearly as serious as Iíve read here but my daughter was very sick with a stomach bug that hit her less than 10 hours before our flight should have left. CM put the points into holding (as expected) but said she would put in a request to have them taken out of holding. She said it should take 7-10 business days but they were restored in about 4 days.

We really lucked out as both the airline (Frontier) and the car rental agency cancelled without any issues. Got the credit back from the car rental agency and we have 90 days to rebook flights. Better than flying with a kid!

Now all of my kids are "Disney Adults"

Proud owner at VWL

Had owned at VGC, SSR and OKW too. Sad to see those points go but moving very close to the Mouse!!!
AlwaysDreamingDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 07:17 PM   #7
Themag5

Thank you everyone for the replies. I'm glad to hear they are sympathetic to certain situations. I have heard that in the past, but it's been awhile and I wasn't sure if they still allowed certain exceptions. Hopefully we won't have to cancel and my father-in-law will be okay!
Old 04-08-2019, 07:19 PM   #8
Themag5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel1123 View Post
Two years ago, I had a reservation I had made for a friend. It was a reservation that had banked points and current use year points. It was at the end of the use year. 2 weeks before the trip, their 2 daughters were with their 1.5 yo cousin on a teacher inservice day and she was found dead in her crib. Trip had to be cancelled. CM allowed me to bank current points but 48 banked points used for the reservation were lost. I asked for an exception or for the points to go into holding but the trip was literally at the end of my use year.
OMG, I am so sorry for your friend!
Old 04-08-2019, 07:30 PM   #9
Deb & Bill
Grand Villa

At the worst, your points will go into Holding as long as you cancel the day before your arrival and you'll only be able to use them to book 60 days out and they will expire at the end of the UY. If they go into holding and you can't book a stay for yourself, you could also rent them as long as the non-owner wanting a reservation doesn't want F&W time.

MS could ask you why you didn't purchase trip insurance, but they might be kind and allow you to bank your points and unborrow the others.

Hope it works out for you.
Old 04-08-2019, 07:50 PM   #10
capeokw56
Grand Villa

Hoping for the best for your Father-in-law and your family.

We had to cancel 7 days before our reservation due to a death in the family and Disney was fantastic about it. They gave us a full refund without any argument at all and just wished us well. That's what customer service is about.
capeokw56 is online now   Reply With Quote