home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > "Member Services:" Questions about Using DVC
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05-07-2019, 04:43 PM   #11
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdude81 View Post
I assume it's the same as borrowing points where you'd use up all your 2020 points before grabbing 2019 points to finish out the reservation.
No, that's not how it works. At the bottom of the reservation screen you are shown a button to bank points if you have them to bank. It then takes you to your contract screen and asks how many you wish to bank. You can choose all of them or part of them. Then when it makes the reservation it will use the banked points first and finish with current points. It is essentially the same as when you bank separately but places the access onto the booking screen.
Old 05-07-2019, 04:44 PM   #12
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougS View Post
Ok, I think I understand now. I was (incorrectly) thinking that points I bank from this year can't be used until future years, but it seems like that's the complete opposite.

Now I understand that I *can't* use 2019 points for a 2020 stay withOUT banking them first, which makes sense. I've never booked thru the website myself, the first and only time we've booked as members so far Member Services did it.

I'm just worried about playing with the interface to test it out, because I don't want to NOT end up doing it right. It sounds like I should just try to book something now, and walk through it? It'll ask me for the dates, then ask me if I want to use current or future points? There's no need to bank ahead of time, or borrow against 2020 ahead of time? Is it safe to assume that it'll guide me through, there's really no way to screw it up, and there's an easy "cancel this whole thing" button next to the "book trip" on the last screen?
You can always play around and not finalize the booking.
Old 05-08-2019, 08:25 AM   #13
DougS
One Bedroom

Thanks for all of the responses everyone, it really clarified things for me. Odds were better than 50/50 that I'd have screwed it up without all the input.

I'm working the math on our stay, and hit a snag that I haven't seen before: It looks like Disney moved the SW races a few weeks, smack dab into April vacation time, so now the leading days of our trip are in Premier Season. Yay!

We bought a few extra points (rounded up 15 or so) just in case, but I guess I never expected to need them so soon. Is this something happens regularly, or just a fluke?
1989 - Caribbean
2013 - Disney Cruise Line
2015 - Grand Floridian
2016 - Caribbean Beach Club
2017 - All Star Movies
2018 - CCV
2019 - AKV (Trip Report)
2020 - DRR (April)

DougS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 09:18 AM   #14
pdude81
Grand Villa

Quote:
Thanks for all of the responses everyone, it really clarified things for me. Odds were better than 50/50 that I'd have screwed it up without all the input.

I'm working the math on our stay, and hit a snag that I haven't seen before: It looks like Disney moved the SW races a few weeks, smack dab into April vacation time, so now the leading days of our trip are in Premier Season. Yay!

We bought a few extra points (rounded up 15 or so) just in case, but I guess I never expected to need them so soon. Is this something happens regularly, or just a fluke?
That's why I was saying in other posts that you will have no issue getting your Riviera rooms, since the higher point cost rooms in Premier season are not the quickest sellers... especially when you're talking about the last couple days of the week after Easter when it's already later than normal.

The star wars half races are newer, but given that the 2018 race was in late April and the 2020 race is in late April, I'm guessing that they just moved up 2019 because that weekend would have been Easter this year and it's jut too much to have at once. This is just speculation but I think for 2021 you'll be fine as Easter moves up one more week and Premier season will with it. Essentiall my prediction is that the race stays in late April but the stay will cost fewer points.

If you look at old point chart maps you'll see that the dates of each season are fluid based on when holidays fall each year and where the weekend days fall in one year versus another.

But in good news, if you burn through all your 2019 and 2020 points because this year is a little weird, you can borrow a few from 2021 to complete the reservation and probably not mess up the 2022 schedule.
pdude81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 09:52 AM   #15
DougS
One Bedroom

Quote:
That's why I was saying in other posts that you will have no issue getting your Riviera rooms, since the higher point cost rooms in Premier season are not the quickest sellers... especially when you're talking about the last couple days of the week after Easter when it's already later than normal.

The star wars half races are newer, but given that the 2018 race was in late April and the 2020 race is in late April, I'm guessing that they just moved up 2019 because that weekend would have been Easter this year and it's jut too much to have at once. This is just speculation but I think for 2021 you'll be fine as Easter moves up one more week and Premier season will with it. Essentiall my prediction is that the race stays in late April but the stay will cost fewer points.

If you look at old point chart maps you'll see that the dates of each season are fluid based on when holidays fall each year and where the weekend days fall in one year versus another.

But in good news, if you burn through all your 2019 and 2020 points because this year is a little weird, you can borrow a few from 2021 to complete the reservation and probably not mess up the 2022 schedule.
Yup, all of those things are pretty much exactly on point. I'm hoping this year is a fluke, and borrowing against some of our future stays doesn't impact too much.

Now I'm doing the tough math, which is more important:
- Coming in Friday or Saturday? (Which means doing the 10k or just the half)
- Do we need Preferred view or standard? (The difference b/w the two is basically an 8th day)
- Maybe come down Saturday (to save the more expensive Friday night Premier stay), Preferred view, check out the following Friday

Ugh, too much thinking!!
1989 - Caribbean
2015 - Grand Floridian
2017 - All Star Movies
2018 - CCV
2019 - AKV (Trip Report)
2020 - DRR (April)

Old 05-08-2019, 10:13 AM   #16
cmrdgrs
Add-on Aficionado

Just out of curiosity -- so I can be more clear in my response -- exactly what are you trying to book (I assume 2 bdrm at Riviera) and on what dates?

Where I'm Going 2019:

Friday, 01/18/19 - Monday, 01/21/19 - Offsite (Hyatt Regency Orange County)
Friday, 02/08/19 - Sunday, 02/10/19 - VGC
Sunday, 06/30/19 - Friday, 07/12/19 - HHI
Friday, 08/30/19 - Monday, 09/02/2019 - VGC
Friday, 09/27/19 - Tuesday, 10/01/2019 - VGC
Friday, 10/11/19 - Monday, 10/14/2019 - VGC
Friday, 10/25/19 - Wednesday, 10/30/2019 - VGF
Wednesday, 10/30/2019 - Monday, 11/04/2019 - BWV (Running 2nd 10K w/BFF - 11/02/19)
Monday, 11/04/2019 - Saturday, 11/09/2019 - BWV
Friday, 12/20/19 - Tuesday, 12/24/2019 - VGC

cmrdgrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 10:37 AM   #17
pdude81
Grand Villa

Quote:
Yup, all of those things are pretty much exactly on point. I'm hoping this year is a fluke, and borrowing against some of our future stays doesn't impact too much.

Now I'm doing the tough math, which is more important:
- Coming in Friday or Saturday? (Which means doing the 10k or just the half)
- Do we need Preferred view or standard? (The difference b/w the two is basically an 8th day)
- Maybe come down Saturday (to save the more expensive Friday night Premier stay), Preferred view, check out the following Friday

Ugh, too much thinking!!
Perhaps you've not considered this, but for a race weekend I'm not sure you'll care a ton about your view, especially when the point costs are amplified. I'd consider standard for the first 3-4 days of the trip and switch to preferred for the last 4. You essentially just bring your bags down to bell services in the morning, check them in, and go to the parks. Then when you come back that evening, you grab your stuff from bell services or just be down another $20 and have them bring the bags up to the new room.

Some hate having to pack up and move, but my family does a split on any trip that's 6 days or more, typically. Same resort splits are less common for us but we plan them from time to time.
pdude81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 10:54 AM   #18
cmrdgrs
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Perhaps you've not considered this, but for a race weekend I'm not sure you'll care a ton about your view, especially when the point costs are amplified. I'd consider standard for the first 3-4 days of the trip and switch to preferred for the last 4. You essentially just bring your bags down to bell services in the morning, check them in, and go to the parks. Then when you come back that evening, you grab your stuff from bell services or just be down another $20 and have them bring the bags up to the new room.

Some hate having to pack up and move, but my family does a split on any trip that's 6 days or more, typically. Same resort splits are less common for us but we plan them from time to time.
I totally agree that this can be a good strategy for saving on points if you are willing to move

Count me in the "hate to move camp" -- but, for me, it's more about moving all the food I have in the villa, not so much suit cases. I guess it all depends on how much you use your kitchen.

Where I'm Going 2019:

Friday, 01/18/19 - Monday, 01/21/19 - Offsite (Hyatt Regency Orange County)
Friday, 02/08/19 - Sunday, 02/10/19 - VGC
Sunday, 06/30/19 - Friday, 07/12/19 - HHI
Friday, 08/30/19 - Monday, 09/02/2019 - VGC
Friday, 09/27/19 - Tuesday, 10/01/2019 - VGC
Friday, 10/11/19 - Monday, 10/14/2019 - VGC
Friday, 10/25/19 - Wednesday, 10/30/2019 - VGF
Wednesday, 10/30/2019 - Monday, 11/04/2019 - BWV (Running 2nd 10K w/BFF - 11/02/19)
Monday, 11/04/2019 - Saturday, 11/09/2019 - BWV
Friday, 12/20/19 - Tuesday, 12/24/2019 - VGC

cmrdgrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 11:40 AM   #19
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:

It has hit premier another time I believe. That's the thing about a race that bounces around because of Easter. It's moved every year to better fit around that. My perception is that they want it to be around that 2nd or 3rd week of April but have had to move it earlier when Easter is later.
Old 05-08-2019, 12:01 PM   #20
DougS
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmrdgrs View Post
Just out of curiosity -- so I can be more clear in my response -- exactly what are you trying to book (I assume 2 bdrm at Riviera) and on what dates?
Ah, sorry, I sometimes forget that my inner monologue isn't broadcasted.

I am looking to book a 2BR, hopefully Preferred view, one week. The SW race series is Friday-Sunday, April 17th - 19th. To do a race, you must be pickup your race stuff (Packet Pickup) at ESPN Zone at least the day prior.

So, we have to be there by Saturday, to run Sunday. We'd rather be there Friday and run Saturday, but the "Point Budget" was originally 520 points, + the 28 we'll bank as leftover from the 2019 trip.
1989 - Caribbean
2015 - Grand Floridian
2017 - All Star Movies
2018 - CCV
2019 - AKV (Trip Report)
2020 - DRR (April)