home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > "Member Services:" Questions about Using DVC
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

 Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes

Old 05-24-2019, 01:24 PM   #81
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado
 
Goofygrl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 12,255
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmrdgrs View Post
This is a fuzzy area for me with the way the new system works. Maybe Goofygrl knows for sure? All I know from experience is that if you have a reservation made in the 11 month owner window, you cannot add on additional nights to that same reservation with 7 month points. It has to be a separate reservation number, so if it has to be a separate reservation number can you add the night at 7+3?
That one I don't know.

If the entire reservation is still available at the 7 month window then they should be able to add the night and use the non-home resort points. Otherwise if it isn't all available then they'll have to wait until the 7 month window of that night to add it. I haven't tried modifying to add a 7 month booking with the 11 month booking though. Something to try and test sometime!
__________________
Three Little Circles
Goofygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 08:06 AM   #82
DougS
One Bedroom
 
DougS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Maryland
Posts: 202
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofygrl View Post
Yes, you should have 2 reservations showing on your Dashboard. What is your points total? Is it probably showing a minimal balance indicating that 2 reservations were made?
This is exactly what I was doing wrong, I called MS and they pointed out the same thing. I was seeing the "330 days until your trip" on the landing page and clicking that. It was only taking me to the first reservation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofygrl View Post
The 2 reservations is definitely the way to go if you're going to do a split. However I liked the plan you had of everything in standard view and switch the last 4 nights (ie the entire second reservation) at 7 months to preferred view. The first goal in all of this IMO is that you want to have a place to stay for all of the nights, correct? You had a concern that nights would be selling out. To guarantee that I'd have just done the second for the last 4 nights in a standard view for ALL the nights needed to complete your vacation. Then at the 7 month window of the start of that reservation go in and use the modify function on the reservation and change it to preferred view. At that time because the reservation would be in the 7 month window you'll be able to select the CCV points to cover the points required for the preferred view.
You're right, that was definitely the plan. In the end we decided that what we really wanted was the week we plan for every year, and the extra (8th) night was a bonus. That's why we booked the room that we wanted as soon as we hit the 11 month window, and we're ok with rolling the dice on that last day. We actually talked about potentially calling at the 7 month window and changing all nights to Preferred, which would also require some borrowing/CCV points/OTU. In the end we decided that the room with the view was more important than that extra day. At least for our first stay @ DRR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofygrl View Post
Regarding booking if you see their selling more points - that actually isn't going to be an indicator. The indicator for this booking is history of DVC booking popularity at all the existing resorts. That shows that April is not a super popular DVC time and because of the higher point requirements that the higher point rooms are not as popular.
I don't get it: I thought that the whole intent of having times of the year that points were higher than others was BECAUSE they were super popular times?
__________________
(ME, Doug) (DW, Analeen) (DS 19, Daniel) (DD 4, Alyssa) (DS 2, Drew)
1978 - First Trip - Contemporary
1988 - WDL Offsite
1989 - Caribbean
2013 - Disney Cruise Line
2015 - Grand Floridian
2016 - Caribbean Beach Club
2017 - All Star Movies
2018 - CCV
2019 - AKV (Trip Report)
2020 - DRR (April)

DougS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 08:35 AM   #83
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado
 
Goofygrl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 12,255
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougS View Post
This is exactly what I was doing wrong, I called MS and they pointed out the same thing. I was seeing the "330 days until your trip" on the landing page and clicking that. It was only taking me to the first reservation.



You're right, that was definitely the plan. In the end we decided that what we really wanted was the week we plan for every year, and the extra (8th) night was a bonus. That's why we booked the room that we wanted as soon as we hit the 11 month window, and we're ok with rolling the dice on that last day. We actually talked about potentially calling at the 7 month window and changing all nights to Preferred, which would also require some borrowing/CCV points/OTU. In the end we decided that the room with the view was more important than that extra day. At least for our first stay @ DRR.



I don't get it: I thought that the whole intent of having times of the year that points were higher than others was BECAUSE they were super popular times?
Sounds good on the plan since your flexible on 7 or 8 nights.

DVC owners are a thrifty lot in general. The seasons were done to match up with what expected travel patterns were based on the parks and hotels..... from 1991! A lot has changed since then and different times have grown to be much more popular now than were back then. Food and Wine, Halloween and Christmas parties etc. and low point charts have made late Sept-Dec the most popular and most difficult times to book. There's other times thru out the year that are busier too but the time following Easter is slower. DVC is sold to be booked 100% year round but there's definitely times that the 11 month window is important and other times of the year that it slowly fills in during the 7 month window. The latter is the time you are booking. Room size matters a lot too with studios booking up much faster than 1 and 2 BRs. There's always a few exceptions but that's the general outline.
__________________
Three Little Circles
Goofygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 09:31 PM   #84
DougS
One Bedroom
 
DougS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Maryland
Posts: 202
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofygrl View Post
Sounds good on the plan since your flexible on 7 or 8 nights.

DVC owners are a thrifty lot in general. The seasons were done to match up with what expected travel patterns were based on the parks and hotels..... from 1991! A lot has changed since then and different times have grown to be much more popular now than were back then. Food and Wine, Halloween and Christmas parties etc. and low point charts have made late Sept-Dec the most popular and most difficult times to book. There's other times thru out the year that are busier too but the time following Easter is slower. DVC is sold to be booked 100% year round but there's definitely times that the 11 month window is important and other times of the year that it slowly fills in during the 7 month window. The latter is the time you are booking. Room size matters a lot too with studios booking up much faster than 1 and 2 BRs. There's always a few exceptions but that's the general outline.
Ok, thanks for that clarification. It brings up two questions:
1) I thought the points were reallocated every year, so why would travel patterns from 20-30 yrs ago matter?
2) I thought the parks were packed when we were there in April, even to the point where we'd have to wait for a second bus a few times. I couldn't imagine it worse!
__________________
(ME, Doug) (DW, Analeen) (DS 19, Daniel) (DD 4, Alyssa) (DS 2, Drew)
1978 - First Trip - Contemporary
1988 - WDL Offsite
1989 - Caribbean
2013 - Disney Cruise Line
2015 - Grand Floridian
2016 - Caribbean Beach Club
2017 - All Star Movies
2018 - CCV
2019 - AKV (Trip Report)
2020 - DRR (April)

DougS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 12:26 AM   #85
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado
 
Goofygrl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 12,255
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougS View Post
Ok, thanks for that clarification. It brings up two questions:
1) I thought the points were reallocated every year, so why would travel patterns from 20-30 yrs ago matter?
2) I thought the parks were packed when we were there in April, even to the point where we'd have to wait for a second bus a few times. I couldn't imagine it worse!
There have only been 3 point reallocations since the start of DVC so they do not happen every year. And, DVC has not ever addressed changing the seasons or the point requirements for the seasons that have increased in popularity. The 2020 reallocation that they backed off on they had finally done a tiny change that would have raised point requirements in the lower point times but it wasn't much and it was cancelled.

The parks are getting busy pretty much year round. Disney has done a good job to add festivals and get people interested in times that used to be quite slow. However DVC still has some distinction in it's booking patterns that don't necessarily align with how busy the parks are. In part that gets back to the "thriftiness" I think. Each year DVC rooms do appear to book earlier and earlier but there's still slower booking times that will have good availability at 7 months and even longer and ones that you want to be online at 8 am at 11 months to book.
__________________
Three Little Circles
Goofygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 09:48 AM   #86
DougS
One Bedroom
 
DougS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Maryland
Posts: 202
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofygrl View Post
There have only been 3 point reallocations since the start of DVC so they do not happen every year. And, DVC has not ever addressed changing the seasons or the point requirements for the seasons that have increased in popularity. The 2020 reallocation that they backed off on they had finally done a tiny change that would have raised point requirements in the lower point times but it wasn't much and it was cancelled.

The parks are getting busy pretty much year round. Disney has done a good job to add festivals and get people interested in times that used to be quite slow. However DVC still has some distinction in it's booking patterns that don't necessarily align with how busy the parks are. In part that gets back to the "thriftiness" I think. Each year DVC rooms do appear to book earlier and earlier but there's still slower booking times that will have good availability at 7 months and even longer and ones that you want to be online at 8 am at 11 months to book.
Wow, you really have ALL the information, don't you?? How are you so plugged in?

I think you completely wiped out one of my misconceptions: that Disney kept ahead of point usage by regularly reallocating by busy season.

I had heard that the parks are getting overwhelmingly busy tho. I read something a year or so ago where Disney intentionally raised prices due to back to back record-setting attendance, and just recently announced congestion pricing for tickets.
__________________
(ME, Doug) (DW, Analeen) (DS 19, Daniel) (DD 4, Alyssa) (DS 2, Drew)
1978 - First Trip - Contemporary
1988 - WDL Offsite
1989 - Caribbean
2013 - Disney Cruise Line
2015 - Grand Floridian
2016 - Caribbean Beach Club
2017 - All Star Movies
2018 - CCV
2019 - AKV (Trip Report)
2020 - DRR (April)

DougS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 10:03 AM   #87
pdude81
Grand Villa
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 2,338
Default

I believe the point seasons for DVC track with the busy seasons for cash rooms, because whether we like to believe it or not, DVC rentals do compete with cash room costs and they are trying to incentivize people to fill up the rooms when park attendance is slightly lower.

The real difference in demand is because DVC forces you to plan your vacations well ahead of time and plan down to the point. Once it is more than a "One in a..." vacation you start paying attention to what you get for the financial outlay, and now by altering your patterns you might get several more days in a studio. Then you get stuck at some point in a 1br for a few days and now you need more days in a bigger room. For you, Doug, at least you are already going straight into 2BR and your addonitis will be mostly focused on additional days and not so much expanding room sizes. The planning is the best and worst part of DVC. I normally prefer to wing it in real life but in terms of DVC I have trip outlines through November 2020. Like I said, the planning is a blessing and a curse. YMMV
pdude81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 01:10 PM   #88
cmrdgrs
Add-on Aficionado
 
cmrdgrs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: 12 Grimmauld Pl
Posts: 7,176
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofygrl View Post
That one I don't know.

If the entire reservation is still available at the 7 month window then they should be able to add the night and use the non-home resort points. Otherwise if it isn't all available then they'll have to wait until the 7 month window of that night to add it. I haven't tried modifying to add a 7 month booking with the 11 month booking though. Something to try and test sometime!
I'm thinking what you are thinking. If you make the reservation in the 11 month owner window and want to add a night on the front or back, you would have to wait until the 7 month window opens for the day you want to add. With the system changes it is something that would have to be "messed" with to confirm what the system does in this instance.
__________________
Carolyn


Where I'm Going 2019:

Friday, 01/18/19 - Monday, 01/21/19 - Offsite (Hyatt Regency Orange County)
Friday, 02/08/19 - Sunday, 02/10/19 - VGC
Sunday, 06/30/19 - Friday, 07/12/19 - HHI
Friday, 08/30/19 - Monday, 09/02/2019 - VGC
Friday, 09/27/19 - Tuesday, 10/01/2019 - VGC
Friday, 10/11/19 - Monday, 10/14/2019 - VGC
Friday, 10/25/19 - Wednesday, 10/30/2019 - VGF
Wednesday, 10/30/2019 - Monday, 11/04/2019 - BWV (Running 2nd 10K w/BFF - 11/02/19)
Monday, 11/04/2019 - Saturday, 11/09/2019 - BWV
Friday, 12/20/19 - Tuesday, 12/24/2019 - VGC


cmrdgrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 01:14 PM   #89
cmrdgrs
Add-on Aficionado
 
cmrdgrs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: 12 Grimmauld Pl
Posts: 7,176
Default

We all stay plugged about the ins & outs of DVC, WDW and Dinseyland, and how things work, what strategies to try, tips and tricks by being active here on MouseOwners (and other forums) -- so many well versed and knowledgeable people on this site. Be active on the forum and you will learn so much from so many people
__________________
Carolyn


Where I'm Going 2019:

Friday, 01/18/19 - Monday, 01/21/19 - Offsite (Hyatt Regency Orange County)
Friday, 02/08/19 - Sunday, 02/10/19 - VGC
Sunday, 06/30/19 - Friday, 07/12/19 - HHI
Friday, 08/30/19 - Monday, 09/02/2019 - VGC
Friday, 09/27/19 - Tuesday, 10/01/2019 - VGC
Friday, 10/11/19 - Monday, 10/14/2019 - VGC
Friday, 10/25/19 - Wednesday, 10/30/2019 - VGF
Wednesday, 10/30/2019 - Monday, 11/04/2019 - BWV (Running 2nd 10K w/BFF - 11/02/19)
Monday, 11/04/2019 - Saturday, 11/09/2019 - BWV
Friday, 12/20/19 - Tuesday, 12/24/2019 - VGC


cmrdgrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 07:28 AM   #90
DougS
One Bedroom
 
DougS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Maryland
Posts: 202
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdude81 View Post
The real difference in demand is because DVC forces you to plan your vacations well ahead of time and plan down to the point. Once it is more than a "One in a..." vacation you start paying attention to what you get for the financial outlay, and now by altering your patterns you might get several more days in a studio. Then you get stuck at some point in a 1br for a few days and now you need more days in a bigger room. For you, Doug, at least you are already going straight into 2BR and your addonitis will be mostly focused on additional days and not so much expanding room sizes. The planning is the best and worst part of DVC. I normally prefer to wing it in real life but in terms of DVC I have trip outlines through November 2020. Like I said, the planning is a blessing and a curse. YMMV
With my OCD I actually dig the planning, it's the "wait 'til 11 months to book...now wait 5 months to book reservations...noooow another 3 months for FP" that gets to me. I already have our plans for next year in the sheet, and want to just get it nailed down!
Booking a 2BR from the outset is a good and back. We bought 20 or so extra points, to have some flexibility, but it's not feeling like enough. Because the 2BR is so significantly pricier, that multiplies out with tweaks in start/end date when we change busy periods, views, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmrdgrs View Post
We all stay plugged about the ins & outs of DVC, WDW and Dinseyland, and how things work, what strategies to try, tips and tricks by being active here on MouseOwners (and other forums) -- so many well versed and knowledgeable people on this site. Be active on the forum and you will learn so much from so many people
Ugh, no doubt! I feel like there is so much more than I can process! Once I feel like I have a good idea (booking an 8:30 breakfast @ Be Our Guest), it's old hat to folks here, and the things I'm learning confuse me more than anything else!
__________________
(ME, Doug) (DW, Analeen) (DS 19, Daniel) (DD 4, Alyssa) (DS 2, Drew)
1978 - First Trip - Contemporary
1988 - WDL Offsite
1989 - Caribbean
2013 - Disney Cruise Line
2015 - Grand Floridian
2016 - Caribbean Beach Club
2017 - All Star Movies
2018 - CCV
2019 - AKV (Trip Report)
2020 - DRR (April)

DougS is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:31 PM.

MouseOwners. "MouseOwners" is a registered servicemark. This is an unofficial fan site and is not affiliated in any way with The Walt Disney Company, the Disney Vacation Club, Disney Vacation Development, or any of their affiliates or subsidiaries. All Disney images The Walt Disney Company.
Powered by Forum Software