home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > "Member Services:" Questions about Using DVC
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05-08-2019, 03:41 PM   #21
mustinjourney
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamima View Post
I miss the non expiring tix too. If anyone over there, at Disney, is reading this...a non expiring ticket option for DVC would be devine (and would re-enchant me).
the AP vouchers don't expire. :-)
mustinjourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 04:15 PM   #22
FessParker1
Grand Villa

APs and 3-4 trips a year. 2 bedroom every time but 1 in a studio. 2 bedrooms are the best value.
FessParker1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 04:27 PM   #23
bubster
Grand Villa

We get APs and have given up on getting studios and have resigned ourselves to 1 bedrooms which isnít necessarily a bad thing. Hate paying double points when itís just the 2 of us but at least itís double the space with a kitchen and laundry. Luckily we have enough points to do at least 3 trips a year in 1 bedrooms at our home resorts and that justifies the APs.
Old 05-08-2019, 04:34 PM   #24
capeokw56
Grand Villa

The OP makes an interesting and logical point.. and we fit that scenario. We do 3 trips a year to get the most out of our APs. Or is it the other way around?? We, DW and I, book studios to get the most out of our points.

One bedrooms would be nice for having the laundry but we don't care about the kitchen. We're on vacation and we're not cooking other than something light for breakfast which we can do in a studio. The point cost of a 1BR doesn't work for us so.. studios it is.
capeokw56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 04:44 PM   #25
EliHI
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay324 View Post
Bungalows and small direct contracts are obviously hurting the market for those seeking studios in DVC. One thing that I haven't seen discussed is, in my opinion, the drastic increase in park ticket prices are also really putting a burden on studio availability. Speaking to several DVC members and I was very surprised that everyone that I spoke with has a DVC annual pass where it in the past, I was an the only one to have such pass. And looking at the ticket prices lately for a hopper pass (approximately $588 for a 7 day hopper), it is clear that there should be no reason why a DVC member wouldn't have such pass at around $60 more.

Now those people that now have the AP have told me that their DVC use has really changed. Most of them have one pretty standard contract (160-300 points). They used to go once a year and their choice of room was a 1 bedroom for heck they purchased DVC for the larger rooms. Now with the AP, the booking pattern has changed to booking 2 trips in a studio vs. 1 trip in a 1 bedroom because they have the AP and need to stretch the points for the 2 trips. One friend now does 3 trips instead on 1 and feels like he is really ahead of the game with the AP. These extra trips are really forcing people to either buy more contracts (which my friends aren't interested in due to the high buy in) or try use what you have thus forcing them to booking studios only.

For my personal use, I have only booked studios or 2 bedrooms for I never understood the point chart for 1 bedrooms. I always thought why not for around 11 points more a night book a 2 bedroom and invite another family to stay with us. But, those 3- 4 day trips with friends and family are done. While I can use my AP, my friends and family don't have such luxury and the price of the 3 day ticket is just too much (for less value) compared with the price of a 7 day ticket (pay a little more...much more value). So my family and friends trips are always 7 nights or more to really maximize that ticket price (yes, Disney wins again). I think this is another trend where the people are booking longer trips....more nights, more points needed, studio please.

As for rentals, I rent points and for the past two years, I have only received requests for studios. I can't remember the last time someone asked me for a 1 bedroom although I still get the occasional 2 bedroom request. I had a standing 1 bedroom reservation from a renter that always wanted BWV 1 bedroom 3 nights and they basically went to Epcot for 3 days during food and wine. This year I received a request from the same renter that they wanted to go for 7 nights in BWV and check if a studio was available standard view. When I spoke to them over the phone as to why they wanted the change, they said they just can't justify paying for 3 days in Epcot at the new ticket price and they wanted to switch to a longer trip with a longer ticket to get back to the other parks.

So does everyone have an AP?
Have your booking patterns (or rental patterns) changed?
Are those that seek studios going to have to book at their home resort only in the near future?
Thoughts?
Someone else mentioned a similar future issue with the Reflection's villas adding users but not enough studios.
Old 05-08-2019, 05:15 PM   #26
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay324 View Post
You maybe right but when the rental market was 12 a point, I was renting 1 bedrooms at AKV Savannah view and standard 1 bedrooms at BWV all the time. AKV Savannah view would also come to around $350 a night (Dec 1-14 was big request) and BWV standard over F & W used to be around $275 a night. I don't remember cash rooms at any DVC 1 bedroom being discounted to $275-$350 a night. Yes there were probably exceptions but those were great rental prices for a 1 bedroom at very desirable resorts.
$12/point is from a long time ago though TBH. I know the last time I asked her about it, the amount she paid was less than $15/point which at the time was more average. She's always done BWV and you are hard pressed to find anyone going below average there (and has been that way for a while).
Old 05-08-2019, 05:23 PM   #27
salmoneous
Add-on Aficionado

I think the OP has a good point. Personally, the increased prices and lack of non-expires has pushed us in the opposite direction. More and more non-park days. This trip was a four night, one park day trip.

Whatís frustrating are some of the great deals being offered to Florida residents, but not us. So instead of giving Disney $175 for tickets and buying food and drinks in the parks for three days, they got $110(?) and we spent one day buying park food.
salmoneous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 05:29 PM   #28
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by salmoneous View Post
I think the OP has a good point. Personally, the increased prices and lack of non-expires has pushed us in the opposite direction. More and more non-park days. This trip was a four night, one park day trip.

Whatís frustrating are some of the great deals being offered to Florida residents, but not us. So instead of giving Disney $175 for tickets and buying food and drinks in the parks for three days, they got $110(?) and we spent one day buying park food.

But good news.....Them Park operation are up 15% for the quarter!!!

Oh wait....That on benefits stockholders and Iger.
Old 05-08-2019, 05:43 PM   #29
disneymomof2
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boundin' View Post
Great point. I used to do one trip a year and bought length of stay tickets or non-expiring 10 day tickets. At that time I never stayed in studios and always had at least some family with me.

Contrast that to this year where I have annual passes. Eight WDW trips and one DL trip in a 12 month period. All studio stays. And even the family trip, my DD and SIL are staying in their own studio (something about my snoring, hmmmm yeah right.)

Anyway, we bought points to make an annual trip with the family and that has morphed into multiple couples trips per year. In studios.

P.S. I used to get the 1BR at BCV even as a couple, but since they removed the hot tubs without consulting me, I book a studio now.
This currently describes DH and I....not completely yet, but we're closing in on being empty nesters. We still make one trip/year with our family of 4 and some friends in tow, but then DH and I squeeze out 1-2 more trips just the 2 of us and stay in studios. I will say that we prefer 1+bedroom rooms though...we feel like the studio stays are just like staying at any hotel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamima View Post
I miss the non expiring tix too. If anyone over there, at Disney, is reading this...a non expiring ticket option for DVC would be devine (and would re-enchant me).
US TOO!!! I purchased 10-day non-exp the week before they discontinued them. We still have 6 days left on them. We have been to parks and paid current prices in an effort to sort of 'save' some of our non-exp days for future trips, or we have done an After Hours event to squeeze in all the rides we can. We have not caved to buying APs yet since we tend to only do 1 or 2 park days/trip. At only 2'ish trips/year, the AP doesn't make sense for us.

So, YES!!! Disney, if you are listening....please bring back the non-expiring tickets for DVC members!!!

ME DH DS21 DD18
disneymomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 05:48 PM   #30
cvjw
Grand Villa

Weíve had annual passes for 10+ years and always visited Disney about 3 times per year. Always in 1 or 2 bedrooms for my family or 4. In the last couple of years, we have become disenchanted with Disney and will let our annual passes expire this month.

We have only visited the parks for 2 days this year, visiting after a cruise on the magic. Our family was unanimous in the decision to not visit Disney again for several years. We will cruise with Disney instead.

We figured out that we can rent out our points and apply the money that would have gone to annual passes and take a couple of Disney cruises a year instead.
cvjw is offline   Reply With Quote