home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > "Member Services:" Questions about Using DVC
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05-11-2019, 08:08 PM   #1
salmoneous
Add-on Aficionado

Default "Only some of your days are available" - tell me what to do

So I'm back home. Yes, I owe you guys some trip details. But first, I have the "Oh boy that was fun... I should book another trip" disease. Seven months out is mid-December, so I go to try to book a studio for 3 nights starting 12/11/19... and holy crap there's not a reservation anywhere at WDW. Is this the studio-availably problem, or just the normal you need the 11-month window to book December problem. Doesn't really matter what's causing it... but what should I do...

There are a few resorts with 1-2 of the three days available. How does that work with the waitlist? Do you book the available days and waitlist the open days... or waitlist the whole thing? In particular, what if the available days are more than 7 months out (i.e. today's the 11th and the calendar shows December 13 and 14 as free, but not the 11th, 12th or 15th)

If I want three consecutive nights, and don't really care which three, what's my best strategy here?

Also, is the rule still that I can have two open waitlists at any time... so I can do this at two different resorts?

Finally - and this just shows how out of touch I am with DVC - exactly when does the seven month window open. Is it still 8AM Florida time for online on the morning of check in day?

Much things in advance... Sal.
salmoneous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 08:35 PM   #2
Dana
Grand Villa

8 am is time to check for resort availability.

I am hoping that with the Riviera opening on the 16th that availability will open elsewhere (with people switching to the Riviera). However, some people have stated that studios are fully booked there for the first 2 days already.
Dana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 08:36 PM   #3
Dana
Grand Villa

Also, who knows if the Riveria will actually open early.
Dana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 08:37 PM   #4
MMC1
Grand Villa

Depends on how many points you have to play with. Can you grab the nights available and then waitlist. I am thinking many will try to switch at 7 month window to book the new Rivviera Open mid December. I heard the small tower rooms were fully booked but not studios.
It will be interesting to watch the availability calendar flip. You might get lucky.

I just checked the DVC calendars is showing availability at RR for preferred studios starting Dec 16...

Last edited by MMC1; 05-12-2019 at 01:47 AM.
MMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 08:41 PM   #5
Crafty
Grand Villa

The second ride at SWGE is opening in December. The ninth movie is also being released. We got our December reservation at exactly the 11 month window.

December is always in high demand, but this year should be much worse than usual.
Crafty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 08:51 PM   #6
Crafty
Grand Villa

I would book for the two consecutive nights and waitlist a night on both ends, if you can.

I would select the largest resort that had two nights. That will increase your chances of the waitlist coming through. Probably SSR?

I would avoid BCV and BWV because they will be nuts. RR will also be in high demand because of the gondola direct to HS. You may be lucky, though, and get a night from someone switching into RR.
Crafty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 09:27 PM   #7
MMC1
Grand Villa

Don,t forget the points charts for the Disney Collection option. I am seeing 66 points for your dates at the Caribbean Resort. I would call DVC tomorrow and speak to guest services about options.
MMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 09:58 PM   #8
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by salmoneous View Post
So I'm back home. Yes, I owe you guys some trip details. But first, I have the "Oh boy that was fun... I should book another trip" disease. Seven months out is mid-December, so I go to try to book a studio for 3 nights starting 12/11/19... and holy crap there's not a reservation anywhere at WDW. Is this the studio-availably problem, or just the normal you need the 11-month window to book December problem. Doesn't really matter what's causing it... but what should I do...

There are a few resorts with 1-2 of the three days available. How does that work with the waitlist? Do you book the available days and waitlist the open days... or waitlist the whole thing? In particular, what if the available days are more than 7 months out (i.e. today's the 11th and the calendar shows December 13 and 14 as free, but not the 11th, 12th or 15th)

If I want three consecutive nights, and don't really care which three, what's my best strategy here?

Also, is the rule still that I can have two open waitlists at any time... so I can do this at two different resorts?

Finally - and this just shows how out of touch I am with DVC - exactly when does the seven month window open. Is it still 8AM Florida time for online on the morning of check in day?

Much things in advance... Sal.
The first week of Dec is the busiest DVC week. The second week isn't too far behind. So no, nothing really unusual with this. It's been tightening up even more but it's always been a time that booking at 11 months is going to be your best bet.

Best strategy is definitely to book the 2 nights that are available and then waitlist the 3rd night. I think I'd waitlist the 15th if that's an option but for the next few days check on the 11th and 12th. Wed and Thursday are showing a trend of being the first nights to book up. Can only guess people are starting long weekends early and overlap with those who are there the entire week.
Old 05-11-2019, 11:25 PM   #9
salmoneous
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMC1 View Post
Don,t forget the points charts for the Disney Collection option. I am seeing 66 points for your dates at the Caribbean Resort. I would call DVC tomorrow and speak to guest services about options.
Another stupid question... I sold all my direct points () and only have one contract left... bought resale in 2004. Can I use those points in the Disney Collection?

PS - Anyone remember when I knew all this stuff and used to answer questions instead of ask them? Funny what happens when you take a few years off from paying attention.
salmoneous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 11:59 PM   #10
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by salmoneous View Post
Another stupid question... I sold all my direct points () and only have one contract left... bought resale in 2004. Can I use those points in the Disney Collection?

PS - Anyone remember when I knew all this stuff and used to answer questions instead of ask them? Funny what happens when you take a few years off from paying attention.
Yes, a resale contract bought in 2004 is grandfathered in. Restrictions didn't start happening until 2011.

The Disney Collection points are high and require a $95 booking fee. It's a rip off really. I think you'll get something for your trip at a DVC resort.