home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > "Member Services:" Questions about Using DVC
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05-16-2019, 11:47 AM   #1
Commish
One Bedroom

Default Combining 11 Month & 7 Month reservations

If you have a reservation made in the 11th month window and later add a new reservation (non-home resort) at 7 months can the nights/reservations be combined?

7 nights booked at 11 months - cancel nights 6&7 (these nights available at 7 months)

Book 2 nights (6 & 7) at 7 months (non home resort)

If you try to modify the original reservation, the system forces the home resort points to be used 1st - thus need to book new reservation (to use the VB points!)
Old 05-16-2019, 11:53 AM   #2
Boundin'
Grand Villa

They can't be combined. They can can be linked. There is no guaranty that you won't have to switch rooms. But I've never had to in the past. But this is a whole new DVC, so who knows.

My Disney Photography https://www.flickr.com/photos/rt_images/

Trip reports:
3 Nights Only* Thinly Veiled Excuse* Surf and Turf* Once Upon a Fantasy* NYE 17-18* The Fall of Disney 17* Tale of Two Views 17* Back in the S.S.R. 17* Uni Hard Rock-MNSSHP-HHN 16* Spring Surprise 16* NYE in the World 15-16

Coming up...
7/2019 BWV Merica's Birthday *9/2019 BCV Beer & Wine Festival *10/2019 POP!*12/2019 VGC* 3/2020 RCCL So Carib AoS *4/2020 Spring Break BWV*11/2020 Fantasy Xmas 2xCC

BCV BWV BLT VGC
Boundin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 03:56 PM   #3
Breyean
Two Bedroom

Yep. Just ran into this for the first time yesterday. For years I've been booking as many days as I can using my 11 month window home resort points, then if I'm lucky, maybe adding a night or two within the the 7 months when my other resort's points are usable at the the place I want to stay.

In fact, I currently have more than one reservation that I made doing that just that, and they were merged AUTOMATICALLY soon after I added the extra day. I didn't even have to call. These are pending reservation so they were made within the last year originally.

I tried to do the same with a Dec reservation. Been waiting patiently, watching availability. Booked my extra night online yesterday and had a few minutes so I called to have it merged.

No dice. The CM told me I couldn't do it because I w/b circumventing the 11 month booking window. How, I asked? The room was (and still is) available at 7 months so how am doing anything wrong? She said I would have to cancel the whole reservation, hope none of the days get taken, then rebook using the other home resort's points.

I'm not going to risk doing that so I just canceled the extra night.

Seems like another "improvement" aimed at making life more miserable for DVC owners.
Old 05-16-2019, 04:07 PM   #4
Fmer55
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breyean View Post
Yep. Just ran into this for the first time yesterday. For years I've been booking as many days as I can using my 11 month window home resort points, then if I'm lucky, maybe adding a night or two within the the 7 months when my other resort's points are usable at the the place I want to stay.

In fact, I currently have more than one reservation that I made doing that just that, and they were merged AUTOMATICALLY soon after I added the extra day. I didn't even have to call. These are pending reservation so they were made within the last year originally.

I tried to do the same with a Dec reservation. Been waiting patiently, watching availability. Booked my extra night online yesterday and had a few minutes so I called to have it merged.

No dice. The CM told me I couldn't do it because I w/b circumventing the 11 month booking window. How, I asked? The room was (and still is) available at 7 months so how am doing anything wrong? She said I would have to cancel the whole reservation, hope none of the days get taken, then rebook using the other home resort's points.

I'm not going to risk doing that so I just canceled the extra night.

And the 11 month window is come and gone, so what is the difference about the extra day and how is it circumventing? in fact you were the one who gambled that it would be there? Ill report back in a couple days, I am adding a day either way.

I just remebered that I am going for 3 days in 30 days for Father's day. I cancelled a day and added it back with different points and they just reconfirmed the ressie, this has me very confused.

Seems like another "improvement" aimed at making life more miserable for DVC owners.
That is horseshit. I will be adding a night at the 7 month window, I have home resort points available but need to be borrowed and not willing to do that.

Did you ask when this has changed? I have merged reservations with different points as recently as December. It can't be done online without using home points first but I had no problem over the phone.

In fact I have two days that I am sure will remain available, i will be able to drop the day from my original ressie and rebook it, that I am confident in, but they will tell you play at your own risk?

DH, me(Mike)MOD136, DW DD13DD10
Fmer55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 04:19 PM   #5
Breyean
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fmer55 View Post
That is horseshit. I will be adding a night at the 7 month window, I have home resort points available but need to be borrowed and not willing to do that.

Did you ask when this has changed? I have merged reservations with different points as recently as December. It can't be done online without using home points first but I had no problem over the phone.

In fact I have two days that I am sure will remain available, i will be able to drop the day from my original ressie and rebook it, that I am confident in, but they will tell you play at your own risk?
I did ask. She said it was at the beginning of this year that they changed.

I think it's interesting that the system can track when you use home points and as you said, you can't modify online w/o using them again first, so it can track the origin of the reservations (11 month home resort or not) which is the way it s/b. Then why can't they have the system also track the individual days if they are so concerned about me cheating them

But if the room is available I really don't get why I can't add it. She even agreed if I had enough non home points I could have booked my entire stay using them, but I don't. So I'm worse off owning where I want to stay since I don't have a ton of points there.
Old 05-16-2019, 04:43 PM   #6
Commish
One Bedroom

Quote:
Quote of the Day! - I ran into a similar situation last year, I hate to admit it but the Mouse is somewhat correct here - you can request a "continuous stay" so you don't need to check out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boundin' View Post
They can't be combined. They can can be linked. There is no guaranty that you won't have to switch rooms. But I've never had to in the past. But this is a whole new DVC, so who knows.
Old 05-16-2019, 04:48 PM   #7
Breyean
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commish View Post
Quote of the Day! - I ran into a similar situation last year, I hate to admit it but the Mouse is somewhat correct here - you can request a "continuous stay" so you don't need to check out
What's the difference between a merged reservation and a "continuous stay"? I'm assuming the latter isn't guaranteed and might not actually happen. I don't know if I want to risk not having a room for essentially a whole day.

Is that something MS does? I wonder why my CM didn't mention that option to me yesterday?
Old 05-16-2019, 04:49 PM   #8
cmrdgrs
Add-on Aficionado

This policy is completely miserable, and yes it has affected me several times. AND it is complete bull$hit that you won't have to move -- because your reservations are "linked." I've been required to move several times now. If you don't have one continuous reservation w/one confirmation number you are not assured of not having to move.

It is complete bull$hit that they changed the system so that now you cannot have one reservation number with "mixed" points done in the 11 & 7 month window.

Where I'm Going 2019:

Friday, 01/18/19 - Monday, 01/21/19 - Offsite (Hyatt Regency Orange County)
Friday, 02/08/19 - Sunday, 02/10/19 - VGC
Sunday, 06/30/19 - Friday, 07/12/19 - HHI
Friday, 08/30/19 - Monday, 09/02/2019 - VGC
Friday, 09/27/19 - Tuesday, 10/01/2019 - VGC
Friday, 10/11/19 - Monday, 10/14/2019 - VGC
Friday, 10/25/19 - Wednesday, 10/30/2019 - VGF
Wednesday, 10/30/2019 - Monday, 11/04/2019 - BWV (Running 2nd 10K w/BFF - 11/02/19)
Monday, 11/04/2019 - Saturday, 11/09/2019 - BWV
Friday, 12/20/19 - Tuesday, 12/24/2019 - VGC

cmrdgrs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 04:52 PM   #9
Commish
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breyean View Post
What's the difference between a merged reservation and a "continuous stay"? I'm assuming the latter isn't guaranteed and might not actually happen. I don't know if I want to risk not having a room for essentially a whole day.

Is that something MS does? I wonder why my CM didn't mention that option to me yesterday?
A merged reservation is taking two reservations combining them under one confirm #- a "linked" reservation and "continuous stay" I believe are the same - My 1st MO rental was a 1 night courtesy 30+ point OKW rezzie for an extra night. Different Owners, Different Confirmation #'s same guests - when I called MS "continuous stay" was the term that was used
Old 05-16-2019, 04:56 PM   #10
Commish
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmrdgrs View Post

It is complete bull$hit that they changed the system so that now you cannot have one reservation number with "mixed" points done in the 11 & 7 month window.
Quote:
Now I am confused is it HORSE-SHIT, MISERABLE HORSE-SHIT, or BULLSHIT?