home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > "Member Services:" Questions about Using DVC
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05-22-2019, 01:59 PM   #1
cali09
Two Bedroom

Default "Availability" when modifying a reservation

Starting a new thread for these questions since they got lost in the other thread about modifying reservations online...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brp View Post
So, one thing that is supposed to happen for HGVC (and it's currently broken) is that if, for any of the days you currently hold, your reservation is the only availability for the day, it will not let you do an add-on modify as it indicates that there is no availability for that day, i.e. it doesn't take into account the one you have as you try to build the reservation.

Does DVC work better at counting that as availability for building?

Cheers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCinWonderland View Post
As for the DVC online booking system, your existing reservation shows as available (only to you) when you are attempting to make modifications.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali09 View Post
Now that I know I cannot see or use transferred points using online booking I am very interested in the answer to this question as well.

Do current reservations also show as "available" to a CM for modification at the 7-month window if I want to swap out which points are being used for a current reservation? There is no availability otherwise and the thought of "cancel and immediately rebook" is TERRIFYING.
The short answer is "no." The current reservation does not show as "available" to the CM for a modification.

The 7-month window opened this morning, which means that (in theory) I could use the points I transferred in from a different resort based on availability. My goal was to swap out my home resort VWL points and instead use the transferred points for the first five nights of our trip.

This would then free up my home resort VWL points I originally used for those first five nights so I could then use those VWL home resort points inside the 11-month priority window to move from a studio to a 1-Bedroom for the remaining 6 nights of our trip.

Based on what I was told, your current reservation does not show as "available" to a CM for modifications so they cannot swap out which points are being used. The CM put me on hold to check with the support team, but the answer was if there is not a room available in addition to your current reservation the only option is to cancel and then attempt to rebook.

Given this information, that means I need to go to Plan B, which is to book a 1-Bedroom for two nights starting today, and then walk it until I can use all of the transfered points to get all the nights we need.

Hope that helps for those that have/will have this question.

"to educate a person in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society"
Theodore Roosevelt

Last edited by cali09; 05-22-2019 at 02:03 PM. Reason: Spelling and clarity
cali09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 02:18 PM   #2
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Starting a new thread for these questions since they got lost in the other thread about modifying reservations online...

The short answer is "no." The current reservation does not show as "available" to the CM for a modification.

The 7-month window opened this morning, which means that (in theory) I could use the points I transferred in from a different resort based on availability. My goal was to swap out my home resort VWL points and instead use the transferred points for the first five nights of our trip.

This would then free up my home resort VWL points I originally used for those first five nights so I could then use those VWL home resort points inside the 11-month priority window to move from a studio to a 1-Bedroom for the remaining 6 nights of our trip.

Based on what I was told, your current reservation does not show as "available" to a CM for modifications so they cannot swap out which points are being used. The CM put me on hold to check with the support team, but the answer was if there is not a room available in addition to your current reservation the only option is to cancel and then attempt to rebook.

Given this information, that means I need to go to Plan B, which is to book a 1-Bedroom for two nights starting today, and then walk it until I can use all of the transfered points to get all the nights we need.

Hope that helps for those that have/will have this question.
What people are writing about is that when you go to modify the room and there is otherwise nothing else available it will still show you a room available because that is the room you have booked under your account and you can change the days or even add days if something consecutive is available around it. Or if you want to switch resorts - it will show you the room you have and any others you have selected that have availability.

What you were attempting to do has never been allowed as it's circumventing the home priority window. There always had to be another room sitting there to be booked if you wanted to use non-home resort points. You would have to book it with those non-home resort points and then cancel the room you had booked with home resort points. You cannot use the modify option for that type of transaction.
Old 05-22-2019, 02:20 PM   #3
cali09
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofygrl View Post
What people are writing about is that when you go to modify the room and there is otherwise nothing else available it will still show you a room available because that is the room you have booked under your account and you can change the days or even add days if something consecutive is available around it. Or if you want to switch resorts - it will show you the room you have and any others you have selected that have availability.

What you were attempting to do has never been allowed as it's circumventing the home priority window. There always had to be another room sitting there to be booked if you wanted to use non-home resort points. You would have to book it with those non-home resort points and then cancel the room you had booked with home resort points. You cannot use the modify option for that type of transaction.
This is what I suspected. Lesson learned when transfering in points-make sure they are home resort points!

"to educate a person in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society"
Theodore Roosevelt
Old 05-22-2019, 06:39 PM   #4
MagicJourneys
Two Bedroom

One thing I have wondered is whether if you do take the risk of doing a cancellation and an immediate rebook, if there is no additional availability and someone is on the waitlist for that room for those days, does the system immediately swipe that room, so having cancelled you would not be able to rebook? I am suspicious about how advanced the DVC waitlist software is and if I had to guess, I would suspect that the answer to this question is "no".
MagicJourneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 06:42 PM   #5
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicJourneys View Post
One thing I have wondered is whether if you do take the risk of doing a cancellation and an immediate rebook, if there is no additional availability and someone is on the waitlist for that room for those days, does the system immediately swipe that room, so having cancelled you would not be able to rebook? I am suspicious about how advanced the DVC waitlist software is and if I had to guess, I would suspect that the answer to this question is "no".

Actually the answer is yes.

I periodically try this although with reservations that if I lose them I am accepting of it. Or I just check after cancelling. I've yet to have a reservation of any length that is harder to get stay intact. Several days or the entire reservation are gone immediately. I feel that if a shorter reservation is still there it's likely that there isn't a waitlist.
Old 05-22-2019, 07:04 PM   #6
cali09
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicJourneys View Post
In the past, I read somewhere (no idea where anymore, could have even been here on MO) that the waitlist process was programmed to run only once or twice a day. I also remember reading or hearing that some of the "filling the waitlist" process was done manually-but that was even further back.

Whether either thing was true, or was ever true, I think only someone who worked directly with this would know. I think the point is that based on experience and end-user evidence the pattern was there.

That said, I think the process has been tweaked, changed, or and/or runs in "real time" now-see below:

Quote:
Actually the answer is yes.

I periodically try this although with reservations that if I lose them I am accepting of it. Or I just check after cancelling. I've yet to have a reservation of any length that is harder to get stay intact. Several days or the entire reservation are gone immediately. I feel that if a shorter reservation is still there it's likely that there isn't a waitlist.
Also, the CM I spoke with this morning said that if she canceled my current reservation it would be gone immediately and advised against even trying.

Theodore Roosevelt
Old 05-22-2019, 07:36 PM   #7
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
In the past, I read somewhere (no idea where anymore, could have even been here on MO) that the waitlist process was programmed to run only once or twice a day. I also remember reading or hearing that some of the "filling the waitlist" process was done manually-but that was even further back.

Whether either thing was true, or was ever true, I think only someone who worked directly with this would know. I think the point is that based on experience and end-user evidence the pattern was there.

That said, I think the process has been tweaked, changed, or and/or runs in "real time" now-see below:

Also, the CM I spoke with this morning said that if she canceled my current reservation it would be gone immediately and advised against even trying.
From my curiousness and always checking after cancelling I too believe it's real time - or very close to it. There is still a manual part to it though. The system matches but it does take a CM to finalize the match. Sometimes that can be very quick and sometimes it may take several days....or even longer.
Old 05-22-2019, 07:45 PM   #8
MagicJourneys
Two Bedroom

Quote:
From my curiousness and always checking after cancelling I too believe it's real time - or very close to it. There is still a manual part to it though. The system matches but it does take a CM to finalize the match. Sometimes that can be very quick and sometimes it may take several days....or even longer.
Interesting- thanks. Sounds like the waitlist software is better than I was giving it credit for. For my last two waitlists that were filled I never received an email, but was told "I see your waitlist has come through" when on the phone with member services, who then proceeded to finalize the reservations.
MagicJourneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 08:55 PM   #9
Micah008
Grand Villa

Quote:
From my curiousness and always checking after cancelling I too believe it's real time - or very close to it.
I agree. I have watched it closely too, and experimented some, and it seems close to real time (but not quite).

My guess is that sometime in the last few years they improved how the waitlists work.

MousePerks
MOD 137 - Owner at Animal Kingdom Villas, Riviera Resort, and Saratoga Springs Resort

Apr '87 offsite; Feb '91 offsite; Feb '04 offsite; Feb '10 Pop; Jan '12 ASSp; Jan '13 Pop; Jan '14 VGF/AKV (Report); Mar '14 POR; Aug '14 SSR (Report); Jan '15 VGF/AKV/OKW (Report); Jan '16 BLT/BCV (Report); Aug '16 AKV; Jan '17 PVB/BWV; Jan '18 Pop/BRV; Aug '18 AKV; Jan '19 PVB/BCV; Jan '20 VGF/AKV/DRR
Micah008 is offline   Reply With Quote