home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > Questions about Renting DVC Points
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 06-11-2018, 09:29 AM   #11
bubster
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by richviii View Post
So the problem with a DEC UY is that it is easy to forget what UY you are in (IMHO). So we have pretty much blown all our 2018 UY points (which should have been used in 2019). So now I am considering renting BCV at Easter (one) make sure we get the reservation for a studio and (two) than free up our BLT points already booked with 2018 points. Is it crazy to rent to free up 18 points to not have to borrow 19 points?
Not crazy. I have been known to rent to conserve points for the future and my own peace of mind but there is no way that renting is cheaper than using your own points.

The problem I struggle with is availability. You mention BCV and BLT, both very popular and hard to get into even at 7 months. You just can't tinker around with these reservations/points. When we stay there I book right at 11 months and pray nothing needs to change. As it stands our BLT stay needs to be adjusted by 1 night in Nov and there is no availability.
Old 06-11-2018, 10:01 AM   #12
meeskamooska
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriciaS View Post
My use year is December too. The last few years we have been bringing friends with us which caused us to borrow a little here and there. For our July trip we had to borrow all but 2 of our 2018 points.
Our theory is, as long as we have points to borrow, we will. At some point we'll catch up to our current use year.
This. For a while we were borrowed all the way out. Then life got busy, we took a few different trips and I ended up just renting almost 100 points out through David's and will probably rent 100 more. You don't know what life will throw you so I would just borrow and if you ever are completely out then you rent.
meeskamooska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 10:41 AM   #13
henrycpa91
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmrdgrs View Post
My opinion would be to borrow your points and not rent. Plans change (at least for me) all the time, and borrowing your own points (to me) always makes more sense. Why worry about plans you haven't made yet?
This is my position as well. You can always rent next time you need them IF you need to.

MY WDW Visits...

1973 - First Trip out of KY and used Tickets from the Today newspaper
2004 (Alex First), 2005, 2006 (Romantic), 2007,2008,2009,2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014,
2015, 2016, 2017 (Family)
henrycpa91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 02:48 PM   #14
avsheffi
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian5581 View Post
Always a complete borrower here. Iíll worry about that last year if I get there...
This

avsheffi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 02:55 PM   #15
DVCERSINCEDAY1
Grand Villa

it bothers me more than many to borrow points. i'd do whatever would involve the least angst now and in the future.

Barb & Family (Darcy, Belle, Rose, Joey, Shorty, and Chippy )
DVCERSINCEDAY1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 05:44 PM   #16
goldilocks_63
Grand Villa

Talking Borrow

I am a firm believer in borrowing....

Point deficit if small works pretty well for me. (although then I still ended up adding on anyway eventually, and now look at where I am addonitis

Goldi
goldilocks_63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 06:31 PM   #17
richviii
One Bedroom

As always, you all are the best. Life does change and with school/sports/activities only getting busier for my daughter it will change. Borrow for we never know what tomorrow brings. Now if we have to get a one bedroom to get BCV (as we did last year) we may kick ourselves but I do think you all are correct. Thanks as always!

Recent
2018 Jan - Swan & Dolphin, Apr - BCV, July - Disneyland 2017 Apr- BWV/BLT, Aug - VGC and Aulani, Dec - BWV & BLT 2016 Dec- BLT, Dec - Disneyland, Aug - Disney CX Summit - GF, Apr - BWV/BTL, 2015 - Nov - BWV/S&D, June - Off-Site, Apr - Contemporary/Off-Site, Feb - S&D, Jan 15 - Off-Site, 2014 - Nov - BLT, Aug - Off-Site, May - Off-Site, Mar - Off-Site, 2013 - Nov - Off-Site, Jun - Off-Site, 2012 Nov - Off-Site
richviii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 08:01 PM   #18
reblzmom
Grand Villa

Save points....I don't understand.
Old 06-12-2018, 06:54 AM   #19
FessParker1
One Bedroom

My plan is borrow til points are out. Then rent cash when they offer free dining and upgrade the park ticket to annual pass. I may not be staying in DVC for that one stay but the dining and upgrade takes the sting out of taking more $$$ out of pocket.
FessParker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 07:31 AM   #20
Jasonv1
Grand Villa

My opinion is just to borrow. I'm perpetually borrowing and it ensures I never have to worry about banking, which (potentially) leaves me with points that have to be used or they expire.

I'd rather be forced to rent because I borrowed too much, than forced to lose points because I have banked points I couldn't use due to some reason.

Plus, why rent if adding more points is even a remote possibility? You'd be throwing away some cash when you could be saving it for that next contract.

Again, these are just my opinions.

My DVC homes: BLT, BRV, BWV, VGC, AUL
Other DVC resorts I've visited: VB, VGF, SSR, PVB, AKV
Jasonv1 is offline   Reply With Quote