home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Resorts
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-30-2018, 12:06 PM   #201
tzb
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

while some have alluded to this in this thread, i think there is a huge disconnect going on. dvc accommodations should not be compared to hotels (deluxe or otherwise). they should be better accommodations (even than their corresponding disney hotels). in some cases, this holds true. these are resorts (or portions thereof) that we own/have paid for and for which we pay the maintenance and upkeep. big difference. not to go too far down a rabbit hole, but "members" is really a misnomer. "owners" would be more accurate. while i'm sure there are reasons for that as well, i won't go down the conspiracy path on this thread.

it should not be up to disney to make this kind of unilateral change in dvc accommodations without member approval - at least within the dvc portions of the properties. moreover, if it is agreed to by the owners/members and implemented and it saves money, our fees should decrease as a reflection of the savings. i didn't purchase a deeded ownership interest and do not regularly pay annual association/maintenance fees at hotels in which i stay.

i am squarely in the camp of those who believe that the dispensers cheapen and devalue the property of which i am an owner. i realize that this can be a balancing act. the logical response to this is to say that, well, then we should not expect to have ANY toiletries in dvc accommodations...except that, as someone else pointed out, they are specifically included in what we pay for through our association fees. while i enjoy the h2o products, i would rather not have any toiletries supplied by disney than to have these dispensers installed, and then have our maintenance fees reduced accordingly. while it MAY reduce costs in the long run for disney, WE will be the ones paying the purchase price, installation and maintenance costs for the dispensers if they are installed.

just my thoughts...
tzb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 12:22 PM   #202
Sykes
Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzb View Post
dvc accommodations should not be compared to hotels (deluxe or otherwise). they should be better accommodations (even than their corresponding disney hotels).
I think that is an unrealistic expectation. I expect that accommodations will be different to cater to a different style of vacation that owners will have, but they aren't designed to be better. Studios are pretty close in quality to standard hotel rooms, but at the resorts that offer suites the hotel accommodations are significantly better than the equivalent DVC accommodations. In my experience, this is true of almost any timeshare property.

Quote:
it should not be up to disney to make this kind of unilateral change in dvc accommodations without member approval - at least within the dvc portions of the properties.
With the exception of a limited set of changes that require a member vote, we've ceded that control to the Association, and that is controlled by Disney.

Quote:
i am squarely in the camp of those who believe that the dispensers cheapen and devalue the property of which i am an owner.
As is evidenced by this thread, reasonable people can disagree. I personally prefer to produce less waste so to me this is a net positive. Eliminating the little bottles isn't going to change things overnight, but every incremental step helps. This change is right in line with where the industry is going, and I'll be surprised if in 10 years there are many hotels at all that offer individual bottles as a standard amenity.
Old 08-30-2018, 01:24 PM   #203
erikthewise
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sykes View Post
As is evidenced by this thread, reasonable people can disagree. I personally prefer to produce less waste so to me this is a net positive. Eliminating the little bottles isn't going to change things overnight, but every incremental step helps. This change is right in line with where the industry is going, and I'll be surprised if in 10 years there are many hotels at all that offer individual bottles as a standard amenity.
I agree. If given a vote I would vote for this change. But you may interested in the facts concerning plastic waste.

Charter Member of OOO (Order Of the Oval)
erikthewise is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 01:26 PM   #204
Sykes
Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikthewise View Post
I agree. If given a vote I would vote to produce less plastic waste. But you may interested in the facts concerning where plastic waste in the oceans comes from.
I've read a lot on the subject, in fact. I'm of the opinion that every little bit helps, especially when it doesn't negatively impact my experience in a meaningful way, even if it is only a drop in the proverbial bucket.
Old 08-30-2018, 02:05 PM   #205
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
I think that is an unrealistic expectation. I expect that accommodations will be different to cater to a different style of vacation that owners will have, but they aren't designed to be better. Studios are pretty close in quality to standard hotel rooms, but at the resorts that offer suites the hotel accommodations are significantly better than the equivalent DVC accommodations. In my experience, this is true of almost any timeshare property.
One thing though is that these resorts were sold as a themed. And DISNEY doesn't pay for the refurbs, the owners do. I don't care it all if they compare to the hotels as I expect them to at least equal and yes, they could be better than and I doubt the cost in the dues would change much if at all as they are spread across such a large number of points and owners. I'm one who also is not happy at all with this generic standardizing across all properties. I did not buy Marriott or Hyatt etc, I bought Disney. They were horrifically overestimating the life of the room refurbs and I'm happy they increased the schedule but there's really zero need to just become a Holiday Inn.

If you take a look, DVC does still think theming is important and puts a great deal of thought into the new resorts they are designing and selling. After sold then it seems like we are now placed on the resort bandwagon and they are trying to make it similar to not distinguish it too much for cash customers.

I really don't get it and out of most of the DVC things I may disagree with it really annoys me the most.

I'm happy the full AKV refurb hasn't come up yet and will be done under different management. Perhaps there's hope for it to survive with a strong theme. I was having a lot of concern if it came up under Potrock.
Old 08-30-2018, 05:09 PM   #206
ealvarado8899
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofygrl View Post
One thing though is that these resorts were sold as a themed. And DISNEY doesn't pay for the refurbs, the owners do. I don't care it all if they compare to the hotels as I expect them to at least equal and yes, they could be better than and I doubt the cost in the dues would change much if at all as they are spread across such a large number of points and owners. I'm one who also is not happy at all with this generic standardizing across all properties. I did not buy Marriott or Hyatt etc, I bought Disney. They were horrifically overestimating the life of the room refurbs and I'm happy they increased the schedule but there's really zero need to just become a Holiday Inn.

If you take a look, DVC does still think theming is important and puts a great deal of thought into the new resorts they are designing and selling. After sold then it seems like we are now placed on the resort bandwagon and they are trying to make it similar to not distinguish it too much for cash customers.

I really don't get it and out of most of the DVC things I may disagree with it really annoys me the most.

I'm happy the full AKV refurb hasn't come up yet and will be done under different management. Perhaps there's hope for it to survive with a strong theme. I was having a lot of concern if it came up under Potrock.
I am really not following the theme degeneration concept. Seriously, can you explain? Being a SSR fan, I hear the same thing about SSR but I find it nicely themed - even if the theme is rather dull. It is still very Disney.

I am trying to understand if the issue is change or a real decline in the DVC offering. Being relatively new comparatively, I really am trying to understand. I know many have echoed the same comment so clearly people are picking up on something I am not.
----------------------------------------------------
ealvarado8899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 09:09 PM   #207
brp
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:

Yup. The use of individual bottles by any hotel/establishment cheapens the experience in that it tells me that the establishment is concerned about the opinions of wasteful elitists who want their individual bottles and doesn't give a shit about the environmental impact of their actions as long as they look good in the eyes of said elitists. (and this said as someone who is unquestionably an elitist...but one with a conscience and concern for others)

Cheers.