home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Theme Parks
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-16-2017, 09:45 AM   #11
JerseyAmy
Grand Villa

I remember using the kennels at each of the parks when I traveled with my two cocker spaniels. We would stay at a Residence Inn so they would be with us at night. A couple of the tram drivers would let us on with Joey and Phoebe when they didn't have many riders. My dogs enjoyed the attention, for sure!

Now, I have Chandler left (just turned 15) and my husband has a lab named Savvy (about 12). We pay a sitter to come to the house twice a day - $44 total. They are both older, and it would be hard on them to travel! Hoping that if I get the job in Florida, we can find someone just as good to take care of the pups!
Old 10-16-2017, 11:12 AM   #12
carolina_yankee
Administrator

The MK/TTC kennel shared the building with Lost & Found. I went into the kennel once with a friend to visit her chinchilla she had brought because it needed daily medication. It was very old school - just cages - Best Friends was a definite upgrade.

I suspect the kennels at each park initially was for day guests, but as people started traveling with animals more, the need for Best Friends became apparent. I don't know the prices now, but Disney did Best Friends right when it opened - great design, fantastic staff, respected national chain, with prices lower than here in the Northeast.

We boarded Ludwig at the location in East Windsor, NJ which is where the Disney manager came from. Disney's location was much nicer, but the staff here was good to. It also cost $5 more per day here than at Disney!

Dirk
Old 10-16-2017, 11:21 AM   #13
Boz
Studio

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
I don't know the prices now, but Disney did Best Friends right when it opened - great design, fantastic staff, respected national chain, with prices lower than here in the Northeast.

Rates
All Indoor Dog Boarding Accommodations
Includes two potty walks.
$44 Standard/ $41 Resort Guest/ $37 Daycare*

Indoor/ Outdoor 2-Room Dog Boarding Accommodations
Includes one potty walk.
$49 Standard/ $45 Resort Guest/ $40 Daycare*

Vacation Villas
For dogs only. Includes one potty walk, playgroup, a flatscreen TV & a turndown biscuit.
$75 Standard/ $69 Resort Guest/ $75 Daycare
VIP Luxury Suites

For dogs only. Includes two potty walks, two playgroups, a flat screen TV, webcam, bedtime story and a Go Home Fresh shampoo service after a three night stay**.
$91 Standard/ $83 Resort Guest/ $91 Daycare

a la carte for Doggies
Play & Stay- $22
(Four hours of play with other dogs)

Playgroup- $15
(30 minutes of play with other dogs)

Playtime- $8
(10 minutes of play with an associate)

Cuddletime- $8
Walk & Explore- $8
Bedtime Story- $6
Ice Cream Break- $4
Holiday Meal- $5
Premium Bed- $5
Two Level Kitty Condo
$28 Standard/ $26 Resort Guest/ $26 Daycare*
Four Level Kitty Condo
$40 Standard/ $38 Resort Guest/ $35 Daycare*
a la carte Kitties
Playtime- $8
Cookies & Milk- $3
Tuna on a Ritz- $3
Activity Toy- $3
Deluxe Kitty Bed- $5
Pocket Pets
Small- $13 Standard/ $11 Resort Guest
Medium- $17 Standard/ $15 Resort Guest
Large- $22 Standard/ $20 Resort Guest
X Large- $25 Standard/ $23 Resort Guest
*Listed Daycare rates are for more than 6 hours of care. If under 6 hours, a discount is applied.
** To participate in any playgroups for our VIP Luxury Suites, your pet must be at least 5 months old, spayed or neutered, and current on all vaccinations listed above.

Cruise Fanatics -
Feb '05 - Magic 7 night Eastern; Jan '07 - Wonder 3 night Nassau; Feb '09 - Magic 7 night Western; Oct '09 - Wonder 3 night Nassau; May '11 - Dream 4 night Nassau; Sept '11 - Dream DVC Member 4 night; Feb '13 - Fantasy 7 night, Eastern; Aug '15 - Dream DVC Member 4 night; May '16 - Magic 14 night EB Transatlantic; Dec '16 - Dream 3 night Nassau; Mar '17 - NCL Pearl, 10 night Panama Canal
Boz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 04:34 PM   #14
Brian5581
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
The MK/TTC kennel shared the building with Lost & Found. I went into the kennel once with a friend to visit her chinchilla she had brought because it needed daily medication. It was very old school - just cages - Best Friends was a definite upgrade.

I suspect the kennels at each park initially was for day guests, but as people started traveling with animals more, the need for Best Friends became apparent. I don't know the prices now, but Disney did Best Friends right when it opened - great design, fantastic staff, respected national chain, with prices lower than here in the Northeast.

We boarded Ludwig at the location in East Windsor, NJ which is where the Disney manager came from. Disney's location was much nicer, but the staff here was good to. It also cost $5 more per day here than at Disney!

Dirk

Had no idea the Disney manager came over from East Windsor. Very cool!
Brian5581 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 07:32 PM   #15
Mass Transit
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenabear View Post
It was great to have the multiple locations for us when we traveled with a guide dog. Sometimes it was easier for the dog to be kenneled and that made it convenient. We haven't traveled with one since they closed down the locations.
You had a guide dog that you didnít need to use all the time?

Mass Transit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 08:26 PM   #16
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass Transit View Post
You had a guide dog that you didn’t need to use all the time?
I do not have a guide dog. The person I traveled with did. It was actually quite hard to deal with a guide dog in a place like that on many rides, so we would kennel him for a few hours and we'd guide her. So it's not that she didn't need guiding, just the dog could be replaced by a human and there were a lot of us there on that trip to take place of the dog. They also left the guide dog behind when they cruised for similar reasons and subsequent trips to Disney as her kids got older, they would leave the dog with a trusted person. It's really not as easy as one would think to use one in a park with rides. But when she's by herself in public the guide dog is invaluable. The cane helps quite a lot, but the dog really helps in many situations. She's had about 3 or 4 in her life so far (in her 50s).
Old 10-16-2017, 08:32 PM   #17
Mass Transit
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenabear View Post
I do not have a guide dog. The person I traveled with did. It was actually quite hard to deal with a guide dog in a place like that on many rides, so we would kennel him for a few hours and we'd guide her. So it's not that she didn't need guiding, just the dog could be replaced by a human and there were a lot of us there on that trip to take place of the dog. They also left the guide dog behind when they cruised for similar reasons and subsequent trips to Disney as her kids got older, they would leave the dog with a trusted person. It's really not as easy as one would think to use one in a park with rides. But when she's by herself in public the guide dog is invaluable. The cane helps quite a lot, but the dog really helps in many situations. She's had about 3 or 4 in her life so far (in her 50s).
Thank you for answering my question. I was a little nervous about how it was going to be received...

Mass Transit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 08:44 PM   #18
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass Transit View Post
Thank you for answering my question. I was a little nervous about how it was going to be received...
No worries at all! I think until you experience certain situations with a guide dog, it's hard to imagine how it could work. If it was one for a different disability that had to be there 24/7 no, you wouldn't kennel the dog. However about half of her adult life she's had one and other times not so she's good with dog or human (or no) guides LOL. Even a great guide dog can get a little stressed at a place like Magic Kingdom and truthfully you cannot ride with a dog on all rides so when the kids were smaller (grade school aged) it was easier for us all to do it. It was an experience for sure. The rest of the time I've been with them, it's not been a question if the dog would be there or not. Just some places it's not as easy and so we step in and help out.