home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Theme Parks
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-09-2017, 10:39 AM   #21
WiltonJohn
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by brp View Post
Those based on visuals and concepts will not be as popular.
Except for people like me...... a ft professional visual artist.

Can't wait to see it coming up shortly. And FOP also.

Loved the movie Avatar also.

best,

.................john
Old 10-09-2017, 11:23 AM   #22
BEAM4DVC
Studio

We love the Na'vi River! Each time we go on it we see something new or different. The colors are gorgeous and the exotic plants are fascinating. We love seeing all the odd animals and trying to find them as they move through the forest and over our heads. It's very enchanting!

The rest of my family (DH, DD24, DS19) love FoP!!! But during our DVC preview in May they said it was definitely NOT for me! Motion stuff really gets to me. I get a horrible headache, am very dizzy and lightheaded and almost disoriented in a way - like my eyes are not connected to my brain. There's a bit of nausea, but that's not my main issue. Can't even do Space Mountain, BTMRR, Star Tours, close my eyes during the flying carpet scene in PhilharMagic, eyes shut during parts of Soarin' - yeah, it's bad!

When DH and I went in September I had read lots of reviews on MO and thought maybe I could do FoP! So we waited in line for about 45 minutes the night of the DVC Moonlight Magic. I had walked through the line with them before and it's an amazing and very immersive queue.

Well, I rode it. The scenery is gorgeous and unbelievably realistic! The beginning was wonderful just like the start of Everest - "Wow if the whole ride is like this I'm going to love it!" - and then the real motion begins - diving, swooping, dipping, tilting, and scenery whipping by. I had my eyes closed for probably 85% of the ride. After getting off I had to sit for about 45 minutes, took Tylenol, Zantac, etc. It wasn't until the next afternoon that I finally felt better. Hate that I can't do these rides and I'm afraid more and more attractions will utilize this technology and I'll be the chicken exit expert!

I'm glad that I rode it so I could experience it and appreciate why my family really enjoys the ride. But I will definitely never ride this again. Oh well....

That's okay though cause it sounds like I may have the River ride all to myself!
BEAM4DVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 11:32 AM   #23
reblzmom
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAM4DVC View Post
We love the Na'vi River! Each time we go on it we see something new or different. The colors are gorgeous and the exotic plants are fascinating. We love seeing all the odd animals and trying to find them as they move through the forest and over our heads. It's very enchanting!

The rest of my family (DH, DD24, DS19) love FoP!!! But during our DVC preview in May they said it was definitely NOT for me! Motion stuff really gets to me. I get a horrible headache, am very dizzy and lightheaded and almost disoriented in a way - like my eyes are not connected to my brain. There's a bit of nausea, but that's not my main issue. Can't even do Space Mountain, BTMRR, Star Tours, close my eyes during the flying carpet scene in PhilharMagic, eyes shut during parts of Soarin' - yeah, it's bad!

When DH and I went in September I had read lots of reviews on MO and thought maybe I could do FoP! So we waited in line for about 45 minutes the night of the DVC Moonlight Magic. I had walked through the line with them before and it's an amazing and very immersive queue.

Well, I rode it. The scenery is gorgeous and unbelievably realistic! The beginning was wonderful just like the start of Everest - "Wow if the whole ride is like this I'm going to love it!" - and then the real motion begins - diving, swooping, dipping, tilting, and scenery whipping by. I had my eyes closed for probably 85% of the ride. After getting off I had to sit for about 45 minutes, took Tylenol, Zantac, etc. It wasn't until the next afternoon that I finally felt better. Hate that I can't do these rides and I'm afraid more and more attractions will utilize this technology and I'll be the chicken exit expert!

I'm glad that I rode it so I could experience it and appreciate why my family really enjoys the ride. But I will definitely never ride this again. Oh well....

That's okay though cause it sounds like I may have the River ride all to myself!
I wasn't sure how my DH would do on FoP since he has motion sensitivity issues. He rode it, and when he got off was a little dazed. But fortunately he didn't have to sit down, etc. He said that now that he knows what to expect he would ride again.
Old 10-09-2017, 11:45 AM   #24
BEAM4DVC
Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by reblzmom View Post
I wasn't sure how my DH would do on FoP since he has motion sensitivity issues. He rode it, and when he got off was a little dazed. But fortunately he didn't have to sit down, etc. He said that now that he knows what to expect he would ride again.
It is a wonderful ride and I can certainly understand why people love it so much! Glad your husband will be able to ride it again.

I grew up in Monroeville! Where do you live?
BEAM4DVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 11:49 AM   #25
reblzmom
Grand Villa

Quote:
It is a wonderful ride and I can certainly understand why people love it so much! Glad your husband will be able to ride it again.

I grew up in Monroeville! Where do you live?
Wow - small world. We are north - Wexford area. I grew up in the east, though. In Swissvale.
Old 10-09-2017, 12:31 PM   #26
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofygrl View Post
Finally rode this. I cannot think of another Disney ride that was an original build that seemed like such an after thought - ie, "let's make a boat ride because we have to have more than 1 ride for a new land and lets put a bunch of glowing plants and animals in it because we don't have time to do a proper story" type of after thought. I wanted to go back to the entrance and tell everyone to just walk over and spend the extra hour in line for FOP. A FP isn't really worth being spent on this ride much less the 2 hour standby wait that was going on when we were there.

Good grief Disney.

FOP lived up to the hype though and then some.
High production value, little story. Hmm, some say that about Avatar!

They could have at least themed it as a guide ride through the whatever river of Pandora showing you the wonders of the planet, blah, blah, blah, and have a concluding word of wisdom from the story-teller.

I hope it eventually becomes like the boat ride in Mexico - a pleasant diversion with little wait. But then I'm a sucker for a boat ride.

Dirk
Old 10-09-2017, 09:50 PM   #27
brp
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiltonJohn View Post
Except for people like me...... a ft professional visual artist.

Can't wait to see it coming up shortly. And FOP also.

Loved the movie Avatar also.

best,

.................john
You're gonna love both rides. As much as I really enjoyed the visuals in Na'vi, I was blown away by what they did with FoP. Na'vi is the very tasty bun to the perfectly-cooked burger that is FoP.

Cheers.
Old 10-09-2017, 11:29 PM   #28
BobParr
Studio

Quote:

My wife had the same experience on FOP this past weekend. She had her eyes shut for most of it. She said the cool breeze they blow on you to help aid in the feeling of motion was all that saved her from throwing up. She barely made it off of her "banshee" into the adjacent room...had to sit down for 15 minutes before we could go.

My 7YO son LOVED FOP, as did I. There's a natural evolution from Soarin' to Harry Potter FJ to FOP...every few years the king gets dethroned by more motion, better video, etc.

Back to the original point of this thread, I will never again waste a FP on N'avi. Yes, it's pretty (once) but not to the point of wonder, and for a slow boat ride I expected more.
BobParr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 10:39 AM   #29
Zeller
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Oh I'm so sad to read this about Na'vi River Journey. I was looking forward to that. Would you still recommend it though, or do you think the time would be better spent elsewhere?
Zeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 11:20 AM   #30
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeller View Post
Oh I'm so sad to read this about Na'vi River Journey. I was looking forward to that. Would you still recommend it though, or do you think the time would be better spent elsewhere?
As the underwhelmed OP who's entire group was also underwhelmed I'd still stay it's worth doing at least once either with a FP or no wait. At this point that means a FP since lucking in to no wait would be unlikely. If it was choosing between the two new Pandora rides then it would be FOP without a doubt but if you have the FP for Navi I say use it and determine yourself. It is visually pretty for the short time you have in it. And as some have chimed in they loved it so check it out.