home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Theme Parks
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-16-2017, 10:28 AM   #1
nicsmom
Grand Villa

Default FOP fit issues

When the ride first opened there were many reports of people being turned away as they could not be properly restrained due to fit issues.

I have not seen reports of this lately. Has the ride been made to be more accommodating to all body types?

What have rider experiences been lately?

nicsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 10:30 AM   #2
JaxFLBear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicsmom View Post
Has the ride been made to be more accommodating to all body types?
Nope. There is a test seat available.

JaxFLBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 10:52 AM   #3
carolina_yankee
Administrator

The test seat can give you an idea of what the vehicle is like, but you could have a different fit experience on the actual vehicle.

This summer I was with somebody with giant calves and very wide hips. Hips aren't a problem in the vehicle, but the calves were. On the test vehicle, the CM was skeptical, but told her to give it a try inside. On the actual attraction, she had to adjust a bit, but the CM got her positioned and it was fine.

They do work hard to make sure as many people as possible can fit, and much of it is squirming, tucking, squeezing, and adjusting so each person's experience is truly different.

Dirk
Old 10-16-2017, 10:55 AM   #4
henrycpa91
Add-on Aficionado

Ok, this 6'6" 280# guys is officially worried....

I do not bend like I used to...

MY WDW Visits...

1973 - First Trip out of KY and used Tickets from the Today newspaper
2004 (Alex First), 2005, 2006 (Romantic), 2007,2008,2009,2010
henrycpa91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 11:05 AM   #5
LauraLea
Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrycpa91 View Post

and bending is the issue.

My hubby has arthritis in back and knee. He could not get his knee bent enough to get one of the restraints to lock. Very disappointing.

Laura
LauraLea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 11:05 AM   #6
AlwaysDreamingDisney
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
The test seat can give you an idea of what the vehicle is like, but you could have a different fit experience on the actual vehicle.

This summer I was with somebody with giant calves and very wide hips. Hips aren't a problem in the vehicle, but the calves were. On the test vehicle, the CM was skeptical, but told her to give it a try inside. On the actual attraction, she had to adjust a bit, but the CM got her positioned and it was fine.

They do work hard to make sure as many people as possible can fit, and much of it is squirming, tucking, squeezing, and adjusting so each person's experience is truly different.

Dirk
I wholly agree with this! The CM spent a lot of time getting my son and I to fit into the seats. I asked if we should leave and she reassured me that we would be fine!

Now all of my kids are "Disney Adults"

Proud owner at VGC, VWL, SSR & OKW
AlwaysDreamingDisney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 11:31 AM   #7
tink711
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrycpa91 View Post

You might have a problem.
I also tried out the test seat (I have put on a good bit of weight dealing with some other issues and after reading about all these people having weird fit problems, I got nervous and decided to try the test seat.). It wasn't my weight-holding areas that gave me the problem. It was the length of my legs from heel to knee. I am 5'10" with long legs (I wear a 34-35" inseam). Because of some other issues, I wear shoes and insoles that add about an extra inch over most athletic style shoes. Once I got my knees in place, I was unable to move my feet all the way forward, which caused my calf to be farther back than it should have been. This prevented the calf restraint from being able to lock in place. I didn't have any other type of shoes with me, it might have worked in flats. (I was so disappointed I didn't even think to try it without shoes). If you are 6'6", depending on how your height is proportioned, this might be an issue for you.

Always dreaming of my next visit ...

My DVC Caste: Happy to be a Donald!
tink711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 12:05 PM   #8
OLDDISNUT
One Bedroom

Our family had fast passes last week when we were there for the ride. I have had knee replacement and can only bend my knee about 85 degrees after two operations. I tried the setup outside the ride before going in to see if I could fit on the ride, it seemed ok. When we went into the ride and I sat down on it I was ok, but when the restraints that go behind your knees and back came up to hold you in place it made me bend my knee even more and it hurt to much to stay on the ride. They let me off and they had me wait for the rest of my family and when they came out they gave everyone in my party 2 fast passes on any ride but FOP. I had the same problem when the mine ride opened and could not get on because I could not spread my legs out like I do on Thunder Mountain. I am hoping this is not a trend on new rides opening in the future, it seems they are not as roomy as the older rides. I am a average size person in height and weight, 5'8 178lbs!!!
OLDDISNUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 12:08 PM   #9
tink711
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLDDISNUT View Post
Our family had fast passes last week when we were there for the ride. I have had knee replacement and can only bend my knee about 85 degrees after two operations. I tried the setup outside the ride before going in to see if I could fit on the ride, it seemed ok. When we went into the ride and I sat down on it I was ok, but when the restraints that go behind your knees and back came up to hold you in place it made me bend my knee even more and it hurt to much to stay on the ride. They let me off and they had me wait for the rest of my family and when they came out they gave everyone in my party 2 fast passes on any ride but FOP. I had the same problem when the mine ride opened and could not get on because I could not spread my legs out like I do on Thunder Mountain. I am hoping this is not a trend on new rides opening in the future, it seems they are not as roomy as the older rides. I am a average size person in height and weight, 5'8 178lbs!!!
When you tried out the test seat, did you have a CM come over and attempt to lock in the calf restraints ? i.e. Was it tighter on the actual ride that on the actual test seat ?

Always dreaming of my next visit ...

My DVC Caste: Happy to be a Donald!
tink711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 12:14 PM   #10
OLDDISNUT
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by tink711 View Post
When you tried out the test seat, did you have a CM come over and attempt to lock in the calf restraints ? i.e. Was it tighter on the actual ride that on the actual test seat ?
They did not have any test for the calf restraints when I sat in it on the outside model.
OLDDISNUT is offline   Reply With Quote