home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Theme Parks
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-18-2017, 10:24 AM   #21
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Good luck at the Doctor's today!

Follow their advice.....if they say all is good, within reason, then have at it. If they want isolation with no impacts and jarring, then listen and don't do those types of rides.

There is still plenty to do, just might have to scale it back a bit.
Old 10-18-2017, 10:25 AM   #22
cmrdgrs
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasChick View Post
So my daughter just broker her elbow today falling off of the monkey bars. We are heading to the parks within the month. Will this keep her from riding everything? I'm just wondering if we should cancel the trip. I've never traveled with a kid with a broken arm.
So sorry to hear about this! Hoping DD won't need surgery and she is on the mend quickly. I don't have any advice for traveling - just wanted to wish you and your DD well!

Where I'm Going 2017/2018:

Monday, 12/25/17 - Tuesday, 12/26/2017 - SSR
Tuesday, 12/26/17 - Saturday, 12/30/17 - BLT
Saturday, 12/30/17 - Sunday, 01/07/18 - VGF (Running 1st 1/2 Marathon - 01/06/18)
Wednesday, 06/27/18 - Wednesday, 07/11/18 - HHI

cmrdgrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 10:59 AM   #23
taccol
One Bedroom

Praying that all goes well for your daughter and that surgery is not needed. Hope you still get to do your trip! Sure would be cool to have a signed cast that she could treasure. All the best.
Old 10-18-2017, 11:21 AM   #24
AlwaysDreamingDisney
Grand Villa

Just keep in mind that her cast may not be able to get wet! If this is the case, I suggest that you get a Xerosox to keep it dry! Its like a giant rubber mitten that will cover the cast up past the elbow. It comes in various sizes and came in very handy for our trips to the pool! We were there in late August so getting her into the pool helped her a lot! Again, good luck!🍀

Now all of my kids are "Disney Adults"

Proud owner at VGC, VWL, SSR & OKW
AlwaysDreamingDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 12:01 PM   #25
Disney54us
Grand Villa

Sorry about your daughter and hoping you get good news today.
Most places have waterproof casts. They cost about $50 extra which you may have to pay out of pocket since most insurance will not cover it. It's sooo worth it.
Disney54us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 01:20 PM   #26
rowrbazzle
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaB24 View Post
If surgery, that's a whole other ballgame and up to ortho.
Oh, I'm certain they'll want to do surgery. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0S5EN7-RtI

Hope your little girl is okay and able to enjoy Disney, TexasChick.
rowrbazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 02:53 PM   #27
TexasChick
Two Bedroom

Default Update

Her injury is on the borderline of needing surgery. Basically, we can go ahead and put the pins in to make sure it heals correctly but deal with risks associated with sedation, infection, etc. or we can wait and see, but she may displace it more because of the type of fracture and it would be somewhat disfigured and damaged. There is a certain point at which you can no longer pin the elbow because too much healing has happened which is the risk of not pinning if it becomes more displaced. The surgeon is a very good friend of my husband's, and he said he would pin it if it was his kid. We decided to have it pinned because it is displaced already, and she's already running around like nothing happened even with a splint and making us both super nervous. Their resilience is both a blessing and a curse with this type of injury apparently. The doctor said she can ride anything that she can fit in regarding the rides at the parks. He did tell me that roller coasters are ok, but trampolines are out! Wow! Makes me never want to allow her on one again at gymnastics. Thanks everyone for all of the kind words.
Old 10-18-2017, 03:45 PM   #28
ermindy1133
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasChick View Post
Her injury is on the borderline of needing surgery. Basically, we can go ahead and put the pins in to make sure it heals correctly but deal with risks associated with sedation, infection, etc. or we can wait and see, but she may displace it more because of the type of fracture and it would be somewhat disfigured and damaged. There is a certain point at which you can no longer pin the elbow because too much healing has happened which is the risk of not pinning if it becomes more displaced. The surgeon is a very good friend of my husband's, and he said he would pin it if it was his kid. We decided to have it pinned because it is displaced already, and she's already running around like nothing happened even with a splint and making us both super nervous. Their resilience is both a blessing and a curse with this type of injury apparently. The doctor said she can ride anything that she can fit in regarding the rides at the parks. He did tell me that roller coasters are ok, but trampolines are out! Wow! Makes me never want to allow her on one again at gymnastics. Thanks everyone for all of the kind words.
Glad that she feels good enough to drive you crazy! I'm sure she will breeze through the procedure and have a blast at Disney! If you kids are like mine were, you might have to remind her that casts are not weapons to be used when siblings irritate her...
Old 10-18-2017, 04:00 PM   #29
Tryntje57
Two Bedroom

Adding my speedy recovery wishes for your little one.

My friend bought a CastCoverz! on Amazon for her child to help keep it clean. It is going to be coming into contact with a lot of germy things at WDW and since she will be sleeping with it on, having it covered up (if not during the day, at least at night in bed) might be something to consider.

When I was at WDW with my grandnieces, the 4 year old was too short for most of the thrill rides, but didn't want to go on them anyway (too scary!) She was also exhausted by the crowds and amount of walking, so we were very glad we had rented her a stroller.
Tryntje57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 10:35 PM   #30
MamaB24
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowrbazzle View Post
Oh, I'm certain they'll want to do surgery. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0S5EN7-RtI

Hope your little girl is okay and able to enjoy Disney, TexasChick.

Oh my goodness! You just gave my entire family a great laugh!!! Thanks!!!! Going to share that one.

TexasChick,

I'm glad to hear vacation is on! Wishing her a safe surgery and speedy recovery. Keep us updated.

OKW since 2016
"Tricky fish! Tricky fish!"
MamaB24 is offline   Reply With Quote