home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > JUST FOR FUN > Photography and Technology
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 01-02-2018, 11:50 AM   #11
CaptJacksFamily
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
That's a thought. I think April is the 2 year mark on the 6300? I don't really need a new system until May, given current plans.

Dirk
Isn't the 6500 and upgrade to the 6300?

FYI a couple of forums I like to lurk on:
http://www.fredmiranda.com. This is primarily a Canon site but has a Sony section that is getting bigger.
http://www.uglyhedgehog.com
Old 01-02-2018, 12:09 PM   #12
CaptJacksFamily
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post

Since I shoot RAW, I wonder how much that would be an issue for me given that Lightroom provides the post-processing? It would be nice to shoot jpg, though, and be happy with the results. I've never been fully satisfied with Canon's jpgs, though that could be monitor issues rather than camera issues.

Dirk
I shoot RAW + Jpeg. I can quickly look at the jpegs and decide if the picture is worth more work and I feel if all of my picts are in RAW (which is brand specific) at some future time there could be backward compatibility issue with RAW converters. The buffers / writing to card are good enough that I can still burst shoot and it doesn't slow down. Also I like to use smaller CF cards in case one gets corrupted or lost I don't have all of my eggs in one basket.

One other disadvantage of the Sony A6XXX series cameras is that they do not do Geo Tracking. You can tether to your phone as a work around but there is not a native GPS system.
Old 01-02-2018, 06:44 PM   #13
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptJacksFamily View Post
Isn't the 6500 and upgrade to the 6300?

FYI a couple of forums I like to lurk on:
http://www.fredmiranda.com. This is primarily a Canon site but has a Sony section that is getting bigger.
http://www.uglyhedgehog.com
I knew about fredmiranda.com for reviews, but haven't used the forums. It's telling that the Sony forum is getting bigger.

Same thing as happening at photography-on-the-net.com, which is very active and Canon specific, but with an increasingly active Sony section as people add to their kits or switch kits altogether.

I should take the discussion there but professional photographers and devoted enthusiasts intimidate me, while MouseOwners don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptJacksFamily View Post
I shoot RAW + Jpeg. I can quickly look at the jpegs and decide if the picture is worth more work and I feel if all of my picts are in RAW (which is brand specific) at some future time there could be backward compatibility issue with RAW converters. The buffers / writing to card are good enough that I can still burst shoot and it doesn't slow down. Also I like to use smaller CF cards in case one gets corrupted or lost I don't have all of my eggs in one basket.

One other disadvantage of the Sony A6XXX series cameras is that they do not do Geo Tracking. You can tether to your phone as a work around but there is not a native GPS system.
My work flow for my last 3 vacations has been to shoot RAW, import to iPad, then import from Photos into Lightroom after I do an initial cull. Once they're in Lightroom, I delete from Photos. I then edit, sort into albums, and send my faves back to Photos for social media and the Apple eco-system.

Now that Lightroom CC has full cloud back-up, the RAW files are safe in the cloud right away and available for editing on any connected device.

RAW still takes a long time to off-load, though and jpg is more useful right away. I did RAW+JPG once by mistake and couldn't tell the files apart, which annoyed me. I think both Photos and Lightroom Mobile have fixed that.

I like GeoTracking, but I forgot to turn it on the last two vacations and had to add it after the fact in Lightroom. What is the work around for Sony? Lightroom CC now only lets you add city/state rather than precise location (though that will probably come back).

Hadn't thought about backward compatibility - something to consider though surely Canon and Sony (Nikon, Olympus, Fuji, et al.) would be safe from that. Photographers would be SCREAMING!!

Dirk