home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Wining & Dining
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 01-13-2018, 08:28 AM   #1
MouseOfCards
Two Bedroom

Default Flight changed! Will we make our ADR?

So frustrating. Will be arriving into MCO in a couple of weeks. Sister's family was schedule to fly in at about the same time. However, she was just notified that their flight has been changed to arrive a couple of hours later - so they will be arriving at 7:00pm. But we have an ADR at Ohanas for 8:00pm. Even if we get the rental car first and pick them up, is there enough time for them to get their luggage and for us to make it for our ADR?
MouseOfCards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 08:36 AM   #2
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

First did she call to try to get them to switch to another flight?

1 hour from landing is possible but would be super tight. If the flight is late, then of course all bets are off. Have her call if she hasn't to get it switched. I personally would not want to rush like that to dinner.

Last edited by helenabear; 01-13-2018 at 09:44 AM.
helenabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 09:18 AM   #3
Carol
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by MouseOfCards View Post
So frustrating. Will be arriving into MCO in a couple of weeks. Sister's family was schedule to fly in at about the same time. However, she was just notified that their flight has been changed to arrive a couple of hours later - so they will be arriving at 7:00pm. But we have an ADR at Ohanas for 8:00pm. Even if we get the rental car first and pick them up, is there enough time for them to get their luggage and for us to make it for our ADR?
Not IMO. It takes about 35 minutes to get from the airport to WDW entrance if traffic cooperates. Even if the plane got to the gate right at 7 PM, That doesn't leave enough time to deplane, get luggage, park at the Poly and walk to the restaurant.

If your sister can't change the flight, I'd change the ADR to another day.
Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 09:36 AM   #4
kiapgh23e
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol View Post
If your sister can't change the flight, I'd change the ADR to another day.
Or maybe try to push your time back 1/2 or full hour. I know it maybe difficult with that size.

MOD 97
kiapgh23e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 10:36 AM   #5
CaptJacksFamily
Grand Villa

I agree with moving back the ADR, you're right on the edge. If everything went correctly you would probably make it or at least be inside of the late check-in window but if the plane is late or any of the other glitches that could happen you would be SOL.
Old 01-13-2018, 11:00 AM   #6
cmrdgrs
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by MouseOfCards View Post
If her flight has been changed by a couple of hours the airline will move her to a different flight at no charge - if she requests the change. If she doesn't request to be put on a different flight, they will keep her on the same flight. I've had airlines move me to a different flight for as little as a 15 min change to a departure/arrival time. I'd start with trying to find a new flight (if possible).

On the ADR front I agree with what others posted. No, I don't think 1 hour is enough time to make your ADR under the best of circumstances. I'd recommend one of two things.

1) keep your ADR and simply show up late. My personal experience is that CMs can reinstate your reservation if you are late (sometimes needing a manager's approval) and you will still be seated. Others may disagree, but this has worked for me many times.

2) use an ADR search tool. Touring Plans has a free ADR search tool that will look for a new time and/or day for you. I think there are other tools out there, but over Christmas I used the Touring Plans ADR search tool and had very good success finding a reservation for my DD who wished to eat at the Beast's castle on her birthday (Dec 27th). After first nabbing a reservation for the 27th at 4:00pm, I then put in a second search for a particular time and was able to get a reservation at 6:30pm on 12/27. Touring Plans texts you when they find a match and if you are able to log in when you get the text your chances of getting the ADR you are looking for is pretty good. I did find that sometimes by the time I logged in the ADR was no longer there, so I simply set up the search again.

Hope that helps! And good luck!

Where I'm Going 2017/2018:

Tuesday, 12/26/17 - Saturday, 12/30/17 - BLT
Saturday, 12/30/17 - Sunday, 01/07/18 - VGF (Running 1st 1/2 Marathon - 01/06/18)
Wednesday, 06/27/18 - Wednesday, 07/11/18 - HHI

cmrdgrs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 01:52 PM   #7
MagicJourneys
One Bedroom

Most airlines will allow you to reschedule or even refund a ticket if they change the flight time by more than about an hour:

https://thepointsguy.com/2017/03/whe...ges-itinerary/

So that would be the first thing to try. If that doesn't work and you still want to try to get to Ohana on time, your best bet is for your sister not to have any checked luggage (so ship it ahead of time using a service such as Luggagefree.com, which I have used many times). Then you get your luggage and the rental car, so your sister can step off the plane and walk right out for you to pick her up and drive directly to the Poly. And if it looks like you're going to be late call Ohana on the way, say your flight was delayed and you may be a little late but you are still coming.
MagicJourneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 02:15 PM   #8
Kerri jo
One Bedroom

I think making it from most of the parks to Ohana is pushing it in an hour, much less from the airport I would follow the advice from members noted above.
2017 ~ SOG, PVB, BLT, PVB, AUL; 2016 ~ DLP, SOG; 2015 ~ DLR, SOG; 2014 ~ DLR, SOG; 2013 ~ BCV, VWL, AKV, SSR; 2012 ~ DLR, SOG; 2011 ~ DLR, SOG; 2010 ~ BCV, BWV; 2009 ~ BCV, BWV, OKW; 2008 ~ Poly; 2007 ~ POP, CSR, VBO; 2006 ~ DLR; 2005 ~ BWV, SOG, VWL, DLR; 2004 ~ SOG; 2003 ~ GF, Poly, Cont; 2002 ~ OKW; 2001 ~ THV; 1990s ~ AS; 1980s ~ FW, Cont.
Kerri jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 03:51 PM   #9
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Almost no way you can make it happen. You would be relying on way too many things to fall in place just to make it close.

From gate to baggage claim 15-10 minutes
Toilet break......or not, we always seem to have in the group 5 minutes
Get to car or pick-up area 5-10 minutes.
If getting a rental car on arrival add another 10-15 minutes
Drive to Poly (assuming skipping check-in) 45 minutes.

Flying in February, you never know if a connecting flight will be delayed.

Call the restaurant and talk to the manager. Explain your situation and see if they will move your reservation by an hour. Don't call the WDW-DINE number.......worthless.
Old 01-13-2018, 09:14 PM   #10
babysimba
One Bedroom

I agree about trying to change flights if at all possible. Last February, 7 of us were booked on a non stop Delta flight from BOS to MCO. They cancelled our flight. Our son and his family got notified about the flight change but we did not. We called immediately and found they put us on a different flight from our son and his family. Delta was great about moving us to his flight. THEN, later when our 16 year old son had a scheduling conflict, they allowed us to move him to a different flight altogether without charging us the ($200 ?) fee.

It was our experience that when they cancelled the flight, they were very willing to work with us to get us on another acceptable flight.
babysimba is online now   Reply With Quote