home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Vacation Planning and Trip Countdowns
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 01-13-2018, 05:08 PM   #11
cmrdgrs
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamima View Post
So we just did New Years through marathon Saturday and I won't do it again. I have been at Easter, Memorial Day, July 4th and twice for Xmas (Dec 19-25)....and this NY/marathon week was the worst crowd wise we have ever experienced daily over the week. The other trips were bad a couple days but this NY/marathon trip was pretty bad every day. Add in the cold weather and illness (we didn't get sick but our friends did) and nope, never again. Actually, yesterday I went over UT's crowd calendar and wrote down all the red dates for 2018. I will avoid these dates every year from now on. March 11-31 is red....so if your spring break can cover some days prior to that....go for that. We go March 3-10 and I am glad no red. If you can do Jan 7-13 timeframe...do that. You are talking 2019 so would be Jan 6-14. If it's first week in Jan only that you can do...then I'd go with spring break. Just my thoughts.
I guess I'm just immune to the crowds Lamima - You and I were there at the same time and yes, it was very, very busy, but isn't Christmas/NYE always nuts? This has got to be my 6th or so trip to WDW or DL over the Christmas/NYE holiday and I just thought the crowds were exactly what I expected -- crowded For me the cold was worse. It was mighty, mighty, mighty cold! I spent 1 1/2 days looking for an acceptable jacket for my princess DD15 - Oy Vey! DH finally had to read her the riot act to make her find something "acceptable" (teenagers!)

I do agree with you, if points aren't an issue, Spring Break would be my vote hands down.

Where I'm Going 2017/2018:

Tuesday, 12/26/17 - Saturday, 12/30/17 - BLT
Saturday, 12/30/17 - Sunday, 01/07/18 - VGF (Running 1st 1/2 Marathon - 01/06/18)
Wednesday, 06/27/18 - Wednesday, 07/11/18 - HHI

cmrdgrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 05:45 PM   #12
Brian5581
Add-on Aficionado

I was there for Christmas / New Year’s as well and found the weather to be excellent...
Brian5581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 05:59 PM   #13
TexasChick
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian5581 View Post
I was there for Christmas / New Year’s as well and found the weather to be excellent...
No no no! We are in the middle of a “harsh” winter down here for us. We’re used to highs in the 60s and lows in the 40s this time of year. All of this highs in the 30s and 40s and lows in the 20s and 30s is killing us. We aren’t used to this and aren’t acclimated at all!!! On Tuesday this coming week it’ll be super cold again with possible snow. Snow...Yay! Low to mid 20s...sooo cold! I’m going to put on another coat just thinking about it! It also kills a lot of our plants because it’s a lot colder than it is supposed to be. Our banana tree bit it. We literally have to wrap our lemon tree and put a heat lamp on it. I cannot lose it again! I love lemons!
Old 01-13-2018, 06:04 PM   #14
cw62803
One Bedroom

January is not an option for our family because of school. Spring break is expensive - particularly the flights - but it is a wonderful time to visit Disney. The weather is just about ideal. We're from the Northeast and our spring break is in April. Going to Disney in April is the perfect way to kick into spring/summer mode.
cw62803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 06:08 PM   #15
cmrdgrs
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian5581 View Post
Aren't you from NY Brian? Being able to wear your winter coat open doesn't make it "warm" compared to a foot of snow in NY

Where I'm Going 2017/2018:

Tuesday, 12/26/17 - Saturday, 12/30/17 - BLT
Saturday, 12/30/17 - Sunday, 01/07/18 - VGF (Running 1st 1/2 Marathon - 01/06/18)
Wednesday, 06/27/18 - Wednesday, 07/11/18 - HHI

cmrdgrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 06:41 PM   #16
jrm1504
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamima View Post
Also, the pools were closed this Jan due to cold. So that crowded parks and dining venues more.
I too was down there from 1/3-1/10. It was pretty dang crowded there leading up to the Marathon. I believe 1/4 was the worst...just horrid lines even to get food. For perspective, my wife went into the starbucks on Main Street USA on 1/5 in the afternoon and it took her over an hour to get a drink. I hope it was really good. My family is still down there and will be until 2/3. I came home for a week because dear ol' dad has work to do. It will be interesting to hear when it is better kind of day by day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandrobin View Post
We tend to go to WDW at Christmas/NYE and tend to avoid January. We like to go in February, since that is the new January with crowds.

I really prefer the first two weeks in May and the 2nd week after Easter.
As a frequent January traveler, I have noticed over the years, January seems to be getting busier and busier. It used to be just dead. What is February like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasChick View Post
No no no! We are in the middle of a “harsh” winter down here for us. We’re used to highs in the 60s and lows in the 40s this time of year. All of this highs in the 30s and 40s and lows in the 20s and 30s is killing us. We aren’t used to this and aren’t acclimated at all!!! On Tuesday this coming week it’ll be super cold again with possible snow. Snow...Yay! Low to mid 20s...sooo cold! I’m going to put on another coat just thinking about it! It also kills a lot of our plants because it’s a lot colder than it is supposed to be. Our banana tree bit it. We literally have to wrap our lemon tree and put a heat lamp on it. I cannot lose it again! I love lemons!
Use a few sprinklers on your plants during the night. It will get muddy, but the phase change from water to solid will release heat. Furthermore, the ice will from a protective, insulated layer. Just don't turn the water off too early or the temperature will plunge below ambient and you will be **cked.

Quote:

My kids are 4 and 6 and high maintenance. Their intelligence is 99% a blessing and 1% very difficult to manage. :/ I am thankful for it, but it is exhausting as well. My juvenile inquisitive nature is 100% in my son, and I now see why my parents got so tired of answering questions all the time. Bless them!
I hear that. My son asks so many questions...not only that, he asks the same ones over and over. Oh and asks questions when he already knows the answer. But then again, I am notorious for asking questions when I know the answers when I am trying to lead someone to make a point. I don't think he has figured that part out yet when he is asking if buses are bigger than cars. Oh, and we can't have nice things because he takes things apart and breaks. I got him this little flashlight glow stick and he had it in pieces before we got to the car. God help us when he is old enough to use power tools and the soldering iron.

Digressing further, maybe you should ask you husband what he did when he was young. I burned holes in the floor with a soldering iron, separated water into hydrogen and oxygen to make explosions, used acid and nails when the water couldn't give me enough hydrogen gas. Then I figured out if you used a blowtorch you could melt pennies to get the zinc out and that was much more effective than nails. My best friend, when he went to day after school during his elementary years said they would go hunt rattlesnakes while at daycare. My brother made dry ice bombs and used cinder blocks to weigh them down to the bottom of the swimming pool to make his own depth charges...he blew up the pool.

On second thought, maybe you shouldn't ask.
2007 DW All Star Sports
2011 DW Port Orleans French Quarter
2012 DW Dolphin
2013 DW BCV (our wedding)
2015 DW BLT (son's 1st b'day)
2015 VWL
2016 DL Grand Cal
2018 BLT and BWV

jrm1504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 07:08 PM   #17
reblzmom
Grand Villa

Well, this wasn't one of your choices, but I will comment anyway. We were there last year mid February and it was wonderful.
Old 01-13-2018, 07:13 PM   #18
Brian5581
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmrdgrs View Post
Aren't you from NY Brian? Being able to wear your winter coat open doesn't make it "warm" compared to a foot of snow in NY

New Jersey. No coat necessary.

Now 80s (even upper 70s) and I melt...
Brian5581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 07:25 PM   #19
TexasChick
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrm1504 View Post
I too was down there from 1/3-1/10. It was pretty dang crowded there leading up to the Marathon. I believe 1/4 was the worst...just horrid lines even to get food. For perspective, my wife went into the starbucks on Main Street USA on 1/5 in the afternoon and it took her over an hour to get a drink. I hope it was really good. My family is still down there and will be until 2/3. I came home for a week because dear ol' dad has work to do. It will be interesting to hear when it is better kind of day by day.

As a frequent January traveler, I have noticed over the years, January seems to be getting busier and busier. It used to be just dead. What is February like?

Use a few sprinklers on your plants during the night. It will get muddy, but the phase change from water to solid will release heat. Furthermore, the ice will from a protective, insulated layer. Just don't turn the water off too early or the temperature will plunge below ambient and you will be **cked.

I hear that. My son asks so many questions...not only that, he asks the same ones over and over. Oh and asks questions when he already knows the answer. But then again, I am notorious for asking questions when I know the answers when I am trying to lead someone to make a point. I don't think he has figured that part out yet when he is asking if buses are bigger than cars. Oh, and we can't have nice things because he takes things apart and breaks. I got him this little flashlight glow stick and he had it in pieces before we got to the car. God help us when he is old enough to use power tools and the soldering iron.

Digressing further, maybe you should ask you husband what he did when he was young. I burned holes in the floor with a soldering iron, separated water into hydrogen and oxygen to make explosions, used acid and nails when the water couldn't give me enough hydrogen gas. Then I figured out if you used a blowtorch you could melt pennies to get the zinc out and that was much more effective than nails. My best friend, when he went to day after school during his elementary years said they would go hunt rattlesnakes while at daycare. My brother made dry ice bombs and used cinder blocks to weigh them down to the bottom of the swimming pool to make his own depth charges...he blew up the pool.

On second thought, maybe you shouldn't ask.
Thanks for the tips on crowds and my lemon tree! I had my husband read what you wrote about all of your “experiments”. His response, “Yeah. That stuff is awesome. All boys do it.” You guys are making my head hurt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reblzmom View Post
Well, this wasn't one of your choices, but I will comment anyway. We were there last year mid February and it was wonderful.
I would love to go then, but our kids aren’t off of school then. Since we have Spring Break in March, they only get off one day for President’s Day in February. I’d have to pull my oldest out of school. I take him out here and there already for vacations, so I can’t do it too much because I need to fly under the radar. Also, he just missed this last week with the flu.
Old 01-13-2018, 07:29 PM   #20
Grandma Minnie
Studio

I definitely would rather go in March. Two years ago we went from the 4th - 14th. The weather was in the 70's and we were able to enjoy the pool and the parks. Early mornings and evening were a bit chilly, but a jacket or sweater was all you needed. In January you really run the risk of a deep freeze like this year.
Grandma Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote