home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > Questions about Buying and Selling DVC
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 01-13-2018, 07:58 PM   #1
jlovesee
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Default Please check my logic!

Husband and I have been members since 2007, started with a 25 point contract at OKW, and slowely added on until we got to our current 213 points at four resorts, OKW, VWL, BLT and Poly. Don't regret the last three, have never had a good stay at OKW and have been using them pretty much as "fill in the blanks" for stays the last several years. However, since we stay Marathon weekend primarly it is becoming more and more a pain to book anything at 7 months period.

I had a thought, that maybe I could sell my two 25 point OKW contracts (one is 2042 exp and one is 2057), and use that to buy 25 points at BLT which is one of the resorts we own and quite frankly my favorite when it comes to location, point chart (standard view rocks!), and room layout. I could do a lot more with 75 BLT points then 50 BLT and 50 OKW basically. I looked at OKW is selling at around $90 a point? Also from reading previous posts on the issue, it doesn't seem stripped contracts reduce the resale value much and both of my contracts are stripped.

I am interested in everyone's thoughts on this, could I realistically sell 50 at OKW and have enough to buy 25 at BLT, even with seller commission?

TIA!

Jennifer
jlovesee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 08:34 PM   #2
Disney54us
Grand Villa

You have to see what BLT is going for. But if you are looking to sell 50 OKW and buy 50 BLT. I donít follow resale pricing but do get emails and will glance. BLT is priced higher, so a even deal? No you will pay a bit more for a BLT contract.
Disney54us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 08:52 PM   #3
MMC1
Grand Villa

Hey we can help you justify anything when it comes to DVC.
Having 25 pt contracts are desirable and more valuable but finding a 25/50 BLT will also be competitive. I love BLT & really don’t want to stay anyplace else....
Good Luck
MMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 09:02 PM   #4
jlovesee

My thought would be just to buy the BLT direct, I know it's a LOT more, but we are September use year which is hard enough to get buying direct and you almost never see it on a resale.

Since I am looking for points that wouldn't even be used until 2020, I have time to think about this, and I am certainly not going to make a rush decision but I love hearing others advice!

Jennifer
Old 01-13-2018, 09:05 PM   #5
jlovesee

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMC1 View Post
Hey we can help you justify anything when it comes to DVC.
Having 25 pt contracts are desirable and more valuable but finding a 25/50 BLT will also be competitive. I love BLT & really donít want to stay anyplace else....
Good Luck

Ha ha! Yes help me justify 1,000 point purchase please!

Jennifer
Old 01-13-2018, 09:07 PM   #6
bubster
Grand Villa

Your 2 25 point OKW contracts should go for top dollar, especially the one with the extended contract. You will pay more for BLT but if it's really where you want to be it may be worth the extra cost. Best of luck with your decision.

Edited to add that if you do decide to buy direct it may be worth doing it before the price increase in a few days.

Last edited by bubster; 01-13-2018 at 09:13 PM.
bubster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 09:29 PM   #7
Kerri jo
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlovesee View Post
My thought would be just to buy the BLT direct, I know it's a LOT more, but we are September use year which is hard enough to get buying direct and you almost never see it on a resale.

Since I am looking for points that wouldn't even be used until 2020, I have time to think about this, and I am certainly not going to make a rush decision but I love hearing others advice!

Jennifer
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubster View Post
Your 2 25 point OKW contracts should go for top dollar, especially the one with the extended contract. You will pay more for BLT but if it's really where you want to be it may be worth the extra cost. Best of luck with your decision.

Edited to add that if you do decide to buy direct it may be worth doing it before the price increase in a few days.
I also have a September UY contract, and as of last week, my guide told me the only add-on options for that UY were Aulani and Copper Creek unless I wanted to go on a waitlist. I know different guides say different things, and that inventory is constantly in flux, but I think you'd be better off buying direct for the small contract you are looking for (don't forget you also get the previous year's points at no cost as a benefit from direct purchase, so that brings cost per point more in line with a stripped contract on the resale market). Your other option is to see if they have a different UY immediately available, but there have been a lot of current conversations on this board about the challenges some face with this.

Good luck in your decision
2017 ~ SOG, PVB, BLT, PVB, AUL; 2016 ~ DLP, SOG; 2015 ~ DLR, SOG; 2014 ~ DLR, SOG; 2013 ~ BCV, VWL, AKV, SSR; 2012 ~ DLR, SOG; 2011 ~ DLR, SOG; 2010 ~ BCV, BWV; 2009 ~ BCV, BWV, OKW; 2008 ~ Poly; 2007 ~ POP, CSR, VBO; 2006 ~ DLR; 2005 ~ BWV, SOG, VWL, DLR; 2004 ~ SOG; 2003 ~ GF, Poly, Cont; 2002 ~ OKW; 2001 ~ THV; 1990s ~ AS; 1980s ~ FW, Cont.
Kerri jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 09:16 AM   #8
disneymomof2
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubster View Post

Yep, direct pricing is going up on Jan 17. BLT is increasing from $185 to $191 per point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerri jo View Post
I also have a September UY contract, and as of last week, my guide told me the only add-on options for that UY were Aulani and Copper Creek unless I wanted to go on a waitlist. I know different guides say different things, and that inventory is constantly in flux, but I think you'd be better off buying direct for the small contract you are looking for (don't forget you also get the previous year's points at no cost as a benefit from direct purchase, so that brings cost per point more in line with a stripped contract on the resale market). Your other option is to see if they have a different UY immediately available, but there have been a lot of current conversations on this board about the challenges some face with this.

Good luck in your decision
We also have Sept UY. I spoke with our guide last Wednesday and got the same story. So I went on a WL for BLT.

In regards to your original question, yes. It sounds like it may be worth it to you to sell your OKW and add on BLT, IF you arenít in a pinch for points or concerned about direct pricing. You would ultimately end up with 25 points less...but if you arenít keen on using you OKW at other places - or this is getting more and more difficult - then I like your solution.

ME DH DS19 DD16
disneymomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 09:29 AM   #9
cw62803
Studio

I'd sell the OKW and buy at BLT if I were in your shoes. If you have already purchased any direct points, I suggest a quick scan around the resale market to see if there are any 25-50 point BLT contracts out there that match the use year of your other BLT contract. (You never know.) But I wouldn't dwell on that. A 25-point add on direct from Disney will give you your points right away. If they don't have one immediately available, they'll put you on a waitlist. I doubt you'll have to wait very long.
cw62803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 09:48 AM   #10
kzrooster
Add-on Aficionado

Own where you want to stay.

'nuff said.
Polynesian
kzrooster is offline   Reply With Quote