home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Vacation Planning and Trip Countdowns
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05-19-2017, 09:02 AM   #1
TexasChick
Two Bedroom

Default Harder/Hardest Times to get a Reservation at Your Non-Home Resort

We are debating going to Disney next Spring Break (mid-March) or next Easter Break. I know those are pretty crazy busy times. I was wondering how hard it is to book at your non-home resort? We may bring people with us, so booking them at the VGF at 7 months? Anyone who has had experience with this would be helpful. I know the general school of thought is that it is almost impossible to get into a studio at VGF at 7 months, but I was wondering if anyone had actual experience at these particular times. Thanks.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:27 AM   #2
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

We did Spring Break (mid march) about 5 months out. Got a 1 bedroom at BWV no problem, waitlisted for BCV and that came through in a couple of weeks. There were a lot open for 1 bedrooms. Even VGF but we opted not to stay there.

I would imagine a studio will be much harder though, but maybe have back ups just in case.

From what I've seen mid-march will be easier than Easter/Passover. I also would rather shoot myself than go at Easter/Passover time
Old 05-19-2017, 09:33 AM   #3
TexasChick
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenabear View Post
We did Spring Break (mid march) about 5 months out. Got a 1 bedroom at BWV no problem, waitlisted for BCV and that came through in a couple of weeks. There were a lot open for 1 bedrooms. Even VGF but we opted not to stay there.

I would imagine a studio will be much harder though, but maybe have back ups just in case.

From what I've seen mid-march will be easier than Easter/Passover. I also would rather shoot myself than go at Easter/Passover time
I hear you on the Easter break trip. The problem is that is when hey can go because it's their older kids spring break. :/ Definitely not ideal at all. We might just fastpass the rides we want and get the heck out of there and hang out at the pools.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:39 AM   #4
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasChick View Post
I hear you on the Easter break trip. The problem is that is when hey can go because it's their older kids spring break. :/ Definitely not ideal at all. We might just fastpass the rides we want and get the heck out of there and hang out at the pools.
Oh I thought you were thinking between the two and trying to decide, because for me it wouldn't be an issue.

Just as an FYI spring weather is iffy. We had one hour at the pool and it was 60 degrees during spring break. I didn't go in as I was too darn cold. A cold snap in the spring can be brutal

We did get more done than I thought we would especially in the morning hours.
Old 05-19-2017, 10:15 AM   #5
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Quote:
We are debating going to Disney next Spring Break (mid-March) or next Easter Break. I know those are pretty crazy busy times. I was wondering how hard it is to book at your non-home resort? We may bring people with us, so booking them at the VGF at 7 months? Anyone who has had experience with this would be helpful. I know the general school of thought is that it is almost impossible to get into a studio at VGF at 7 months, but I was wondering if anyone had actual experience at these particular times. Thanks.
A studio for week at spring break/Easter will be tough to get. But like I always say, add a waitlist for your dates.

There are only 47 total studios (47 2-bedroom lock offs), so your chances are slim.
Old 05-19-2017, 10:52 AM   #6
TexasChick
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenabear View Post
Oh I thought you were thinking between the two and trying to decide, because for me it wouldn't be an issue.

Just as an FYI spring weather is iffy. We had one hour at the pool and it was 60 degrees during spring break. I didn't go in as I was too darn cold. A cold snap in the spring can be brutal

We did get more done than I thought we would especially in the morning hours.
That's so crazy. We went in January, and it was 80 degrees. However, when I was in college, we went one spring break and only brought shorts which was awful because a cold snap kept the highs in the 60s. As you can imagine, there was a trip to the outlets to purchase some jeans. I can't imagine going now without checking the weather, but we were young and naive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandrobin View Post
A studio for week at spring break/Easter will be tough to get. But like I always say, add a waitlist for your dates.

There are only 47 total studios (47 2-bedroom lock offs), so your chances are slim.
Thank you. I'll talk with them about it and see what we come up with.
Old 05-19-2017, 11:27 AM   #7
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Quote:
Do a waitlist...some will switch to another resort or our right cancel a reservation. Just be first in line for the waitlist.
Old 05-19-2017, 12:11 PM   #8
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
That's so crazy. We went in January, and it was 80 degrees. However, when I was in college, we went one spring break and only brought shorts which was awful because a cold snap kept the highs in the 60s. As you can imagine, there was a trip to the outlets to purchase some jeans. I can't imagine going now without checking the weather, but we were young and naive.

It was bad. We left snow falling here which we were thrilled for, but the snap was more brutal than they expected. The forecast was off from actual until the night before it happened - we thought it would be about 10 degrees colder than average and it was more like 20 and very windy. Not fun! I've had February trips warmer than that!

Don't forget to waitlist if you really want something though. I like to have backup plan just in case. Like if not VGF another MK area? Or see if you can swing a 1 bedroom to get in? Just kind of thinking outloud.