home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > My Disney Experience, Magic Bands, and FastPass+
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-27-2017, 09:40 AM   #1
Rigby
Two Bedroom

Default Fast Pass Magic Band Question

So we had a party of 7 going in October until last week when my friends 15 year old decided she couldn't miss her high school homecoming weekend. With a year to plan and booking at 11 months for VGF her folks still picked the one weekend that turned out to be a problem. So they call and tell me there's no chance she's coming. I call MS and take her off the reservation, adjust our dinner reservations, and kiss her fast passes goodbye. And of course they call a week later, she just had a bad first week of high school, and doesn't care about homecoming anymore. She wants to go to Disney again!. Our first dinner was for 7 at Cali Grill on our first night arrival. It's her mom's birthday that day so I'm hoping for some magic but the fast passes are another problem. We have 7DMT and SM for our Halloween party night and FOP, Everest, and Safari for our AK day. Anyone ever heard of fast passes being returned by guest services? If one of her folks sits out a ride can the daughter use their magic band. I've been working on this vacation for months to make it perfect for these guys and now I'm stressing that it's going to be one big mess when it comes to the rides. Thanks for any advice?
Old 08-27-2017, 09:54 AM   #2
Kmermaid
Two Bedroom

If someone wants to sit out she can use their band to enter the ride, as long as that band has been swiped at the front gates. We have done this and even changed people via the app so bands did not have to be exchanged. Though the changing on the app is tricker because a person cant have two 1Tier rides at the same time. Using the others band is easier, disney doesn't care who is using the FP+. It stinks that you cancelled her FP I would stalk the site cuz yesterday I was playing around with my October trip and FoP appeared for atleast two people. Good Luck!
Old 08-27-2017, 09:59 AM   #3
Jedimom3
Two Bedroom

We did some swapping out on our last trip, when DS decided to join at the last minute. FP riding was fine just using someone's MB. he sneaked into BOG with us at lunch, but that was easier to manage. When I called about adding him to Akershus, they said they couldn't add him, but we were calling just a few days ahead. Since you originally had her on everything, there may be notes on your acct that a CM could see, and then work her back into the system for dining. I'd call and check for sure.
Good luck!!
Jedimom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 11:40 AM   #4
andy773
Studio

For the ADR's keep checking. The closer it gets, the more other people firm up their plans and change and drop ADR's.

It sounds like you had ADR's for 7 and dropped it to 6. That's why it may be hard to add one person. Tables are almost always based on even numbers. If you had 8 and dropped 1 to 7 it would be easier to add her back since you would still have gotten a table for 8.
andy773 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 12:28 PM   #5
rcbarker
Studio

I wouldn't sweat the ADR's. If you show up and tell them you have one more than reserved, they'll take care of you.
rcbarker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 03:15 PM   #6
tink711
Add-on Aficionado

Yes, she can use someone else's MB. My husband and I do it all the time with things one of us wants to ride twice but the other one is meh about.
However, I would definitely stop by the desk in the VGF lobby and explain the situation. It's possible they can help you get some of those FPs back. They might be able to help with ADRs as well.

On the ADRs, since 7 is a larger table than 6, you do have a concern but the restaurant can probably work with you if you give them enough notice. If you can swing by the restaurant earlier in the day or earlier in the week and talk to the hostess about the sitatuion, I think your odds are very good that they can take care of you. If you just show up with 7, they will be scrambling trying to figure out squeezing a 7th person around a table for 6 or worse make you wait an extra hour until they can make it work.

For future reference, teenagers NEVER actually know what they want months ahead of time. Don't be surprised if she changes her mind again a few times before the trip. If you can get her back on the ressies, do it and keep her on them until the day you checkin even if she changes her mind again. If you can't get her back on everything, wait until you arrive and see if the fabulous VGF CMs can help. If they can't, so be it. We have found that it is very good for the teens to experience a little pain as a result of their flip floppy plans instead of having everyone else jump through hoops to respond to their every changing whims.

Always dreaming of my next visit ...

My DVC Caste: Happy to be a Donald!
tink711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 03:52 PM   #7
mpgebers
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

We've swapped bands many times. As someone else said, as long as the person who owns the band came through the admittance gates. When we've had bigger groups I've actually done some different groups of fast passes and then let people decide who was going on what. (thank goodness for the names on the bands to figure out which fast passes were on what band)

We never had a problem adding to our number of people in a restaurant, but got there early and asked if they could accommodate it and offered at times to split up into two smaller tables if it helped. We've never attempted this at one of the busiest days for the parks, but if you're going in October it usually isn't a real busy time so that should help.

Don't be too hard on the 15 year old. She didn't set the school schedule, and life as a teenager can be a real roller coaster.

We love doing Disney with a group. I hope you have a wonderful trip.
mpgebers is offline   Reply With Quote