home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > JUST FOR FUN > Photography and Technology
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

 Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes

Old 01-27-2019, 09:00 AM   #11
carolina_yankee
Administrator
 
carolina_yankee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 28,984
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofygrl View Post
When I carry a camera at Disney I have gotten so I carry it on a strap and an extra lens or two will go in their own protective case into my normal backpack. I also bring a neoprene cover for the camera along should I want or need to store it in the normal backpack I'm carrying which is always just a simply lightweight bag. I certainly have a decent collection of bags I've gotten over the years and this is what has been my preference for a few years - pretty minimal. During air travel if bringing several lenses I have an old rolling Pelican bag that would carry all the items you list. It's held up well and I have zero complaints. The Pelican is my main bag for storage at home.
This is what I've started doing. Jim has the backpack, I have the camera on a Peak Design shoulder strap on my should. Extra lens and battery holder goes into Jim's backpack.

He's complained much less since I went mirrorless.

Dirk
__________________


carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 11:00 AM   #12
jagron11
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)
 
jagron11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Texas
Posts: 31
Default

Thanks all for chiming in. Carrying in the park is not really an issue. The Peak actually works well, and I have Peak Design Capture clip that is on the shoulder strap that keeps my hands free but the camera close. And the pack has jackets, ponchos, etc. Laptop and iPad are safely in the safe back in the room. I'm really talking about the flight trip and transporting to location.

I'm almost considering the new Peak travel backpack with a Camera bundle bag, for transport, and then the Everyday as my day pack. I've got a few months to continue searching and researching. So we'll see what happens.

As for going Mirrorless....not happening anytime soon. Too happy with my 5D, and too invested in $$$ at this point. If its this hard to switch bags, switching to mirrorless FF is definitely a non-starter. And that could be some serious Points Add ons....
__________________
Aulani 6/19 (First DVC)
POR 3/18
Disney Dream 3/17
AoA 3/17
Wonder 10/15
DLH 8/13
DLH 03/12
GC 12/05
WL 8/05
Contemporary 8/04
GF 8/99
Dixie Landings 6/95
jagron11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 12:00 PM   #13
CaptJacksFamily
Grand Villa
 
CaptJacksFamily's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Socal now, WDW soon
Posts: 1,830
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
This is what I've started doing. Jim has the backpack, I have the camera on a Peak Design shoulder strap on my should. Extra lens and battery holder goes into Jim's backpack.

He's complained much less since I went mirrorless.

Dirk
I find the glass is much heavier than the camera so going mirrorless made my load smaller but not that much lighter.

Anymore I seldom take my camera into the park, phone photography has become good enough for me. When I do take it then I usually have it on a PD strap cross body with the camera behind me in the small of my back.
__________________
- Richard
Mod 82
CaptJacksFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 05:01 PM   #14
carolina_yankee
Administrator
 
carolina_yankee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 28,984
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagron11 View Post
Thanks all for chiming in. Carrying in the park is not really an issue. The Peak actually works well, and I have Peak Design Capture clip that is on the shoulder strap that keeps my hands free but the camera close. And the pack has jackets, ponchos, etc. Laptop and iPad are safely in the safe back in the room. I'm really talking about the flight trip and transporting to location.

I'm almost considering the new Peak travel backpack with a Camera bundle bag, for transport, and then the Everyday as my day pack. I've got a few months to continue searching and researching. So we'll see what happens.

As for going Mirrorless....not happening anytime soon. Too happy with my 5D, and too invested in $$$ at this point. If its this hard to switch bags, switching to mirrorless FF is definitely a non-starter. And that could be some serious Points Add ons....
I used to have a Canon 6D and then went mirrorless. I managed to finance the switch by swelling off my FF gear. I ended up going with Sony's aspc line (a6500) because I didn't want the weight and size of mirrorless. I was leaving stuff behind in the room, which kind of negates the point of having an interchangeable lens camera!

If you're happy with the 5D, absolutely zero need to switch to mirrorless FF as you'll not save that much in size or weight.

There are some things I miss about about FF, but the a6500 is so good it has well been worth the switch. If I were a more serious hobbyist or earned income from photography (even a small amount) then the calculus would be different.

I'm actually slightly kicking myself for not going Fuji instead of Sony, but looking back at my photos since the switch, no real reason to disappointed. The problem with camera gear (and bags), there is always something different that it appealing!

Dirk
__________________


carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 10:37 PM   #15
ford91exploder
Two Bedroom
 
ford91exploder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 520
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagron11 View Post
Not totally technology, but carrying all my tech, so thought Iíd ask. Iím not a photo pro, but do it as a hobby. Like many of you here, though, travel and with large family in tow. Any recommendations for a good multi purpose photo travel bag? Or better yet, what do you use like/dislikes?

Hereís what I carry and use:
Canon 5d (preferably with battery grip)
Flash
2-3 lenses
Go pro
Go pro floating handle
Mbpro 15
iPad 9.7 size
Like to have space for a light weight jacket

Note: this is how itís packed down to travel, not for the parks each day, if at WDW.

Currently use a Peak Design Everyday 20L. And itís just a tad too snug. Regretting not getting the 30L. But now that I likely need to upgrade looking at other options.

My personal favorite is Domke, First they don't scream CAMERA STUFF two being canvas they conform really well to your body the waxed canvas both breathes and keeps your gear dry For your loadout the F7 would probably be best.

Domke is/was designed for the working photojournalist who is working out of their bag. Plus they are reasonably priced.

I'm also a fan of their 'gripper' strap for light cameras and/or rangefinders

Peak makes great stuff
ford91exploder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 05:09 PM   #16
kzrooster
Add-on Aficionado
 
kzrooster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Kalamazoo Mi
Posts: 11,242
Default

Continuing along.....
I purchased a Think Tank Turnstyle 10 V2.0 for our most recent trip. It worked flawlessly and fabulously! I have Nikon D5100 with one extra lens. The bag is perfectly sized for this and maybe a couple odds and ends. It is a slingstyle bag that carried like a dream. When I wanted the camera, it was super easy to get the unit out, with zero any fears of anything inside crashing to the ground.
Thanks to this thread for getting me off the couch and doing a little research....
kzrooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 07:14 AM   #17
carolina_yankee
Administrator
 
carolina_yankee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 28,984
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzrooster View Post
Continuing along.....
I purchased a Think Tank Turnstyle 10 V2.0 for our most recent trip. It worked flawlessly and fabulously! I have Nikon D5100 with one extra lens. The bag is perfectly sized for this and maybe a couple odds and ends. It is a slingstyle bag that carried like a dream. When I wanted the camera, it was super easy to get the unit out, with zero any fears of anything inside crashing to the ground.
Thanks to this thread for getting me off the couch and doing a little research....
That's what I have, and I love it, too!

I take it back. I have the 20 V2.0 so it can hold my tablet when flying. It's almost too roomy now that I've gone mirrorless, but it is absolutely perfect for Disney as it nestles easily under the legs on attractions.

Dirk
__________________


carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 11:04 AM   #18
kzrooster
Add-on Aficionado
 
kzrooster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Kalamazoo Mi
Posts: 11,242
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
That's what I have, and I love it, too!

I take it back. I have the 20 V2.0 so it can hold my tablet when flying. It's almost too roomy now that I've gone mirrorless, but it is absolutely perfect for Disney as it nestles easily under the legs on attractions.

Dirk
I looked at the 20 also. Both were in the store..... it was too big for me. The 10 was almost exactly the same size as the bag my camera came with. Itís small enough to easily fit in my roller/carry on or in my over the shoulder satchel, the two bags I travel with.
kzrooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:23 AM.

© MouseOwners. "MouseOwners" is a registered servicemark. This is an unofficial fan site and is not affiliated in any way with The Walt Disney Company, the Disney Vacation Club, Disney Vacation Development, or any of their affiliates or subsidiaries. All Disney images © The Walt Disney Company.
Powered by Forum Software