home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > JUST FOR FUN > Photography and Technology
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 01-27-2019, 09:00 AM   #11
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofygrl View Post
When I carry a camera at Disney I have gotten so I carry it on a strap and an extra lens or two will go in their own protective case into my normal backpack. I also bring a neoprene cover for the camera along should I want or need to store it in the normal backpack I'm carrying which is always just a simply lightweight bag. I certainly have a decent collection of bags I've gotten over the years and this is what has been my preference for a few years - pretty minimal. During air travel if bringing several lenses I have an old rolling Pelican bag that would carry all the items you list. It's held up well and I have zero complaints. The Pelican is my main bag for storage at home.
This is what I've started doing. Jim has the backpack, I have the camera on a Peak Design shoulder strap on my should. Extra lens and battery holder goes into Jim's backpack.

He's complained much less since I went mirrorless.

Dirk

carolina_yankee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 11:00 AM   #12
jagron11
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Thanks all for chiming in. Carrying in the park is not really an issue. The Peak actually works well, and I have Peak Design Capture clip that is on the shoulder strap that keeps my hands free but the camera close. And the pack has jackets, ponchos, etc. Laptop and iPad are safely in the safe back in the room. I'm really talking about the flight trip and transporting to location.

I'm almost considering the new Peak travel backpack with a Camera bundle bag, for transport, and then the Everyday as my day pack. I've got a few months to continue searching and researching. So we'll see what happens.

As for going Mirrorless....not happening anytime soon. Too happy with my 5D, and too invested in $$$ at this point. If its this hard to switch bags, switching to mirrorless FF is definitely a non-starter. And that could be some serious Points Add ons....
AoA 3/17
Wonder 10/15
DLH 8/13
DLH 03/12
GC 12/05
WL 8/05
Contemporary 8/04
GF 8/99
Dixie Landings 6/95
jagron11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 12:00 PM   #13
CaptJacksFamily
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
This is what I've started doing. Jim has the backpack, I have the camera on a Peak Design shoulder strap on my should. Extra lens and battery holder goes into Jim's backpack.

He's complained much less since I went mirrorless.

Dirk
I find the glass is much heavier than the camera so going mirrorless made my load smaller but not that much lighter.

Anymore I seldom take my camera into the park, phone photography has become good enough for me. When I do take it then I usually have it on a PD strap cross body with the camera behind me in the small of my back.
Old 01-27-2019, 05:01 PM   #14
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagron11 View Post
Thanks all for chiming in. Carrying in the park is not really an issue. The Peak actually works well, and I have Peak Design Capture clip that is on the shoulder strap that keeps my hands free but the camera close. And the pack has jackets, ponchos, etc. Laptop and iPad are safely in the safe back in the room. I'm really talking about the flight trip and transporting to location.

I'm almost considering the new Peak travel backpack with a Camera bundle bag, for transport, and then the Everyday as my day pack. I've got a few months to continue searching and researching. So we'll see what happens.

As for going Mirrorless....not happening anytime soon. Too happy with my 5D, and too invested in $$$ at this point. If its this hard to switch bags, switching to mirrorless FF is definitely a non-starter. And that could be some serious Points Add ons....
I used to have a Canon 6D and then went mirrorless. I managed to finance the switch by swelling off my FF gear. I ended up going with Sony's aspc line (a6500) because I didn't want the weight and size of mirrorless. I was leaving stuff behind in the room, which kind of negates the point of having an interchangeable lens camera!

If you're happy with the 5D, absolutely zero need to switch to mirrorless FF as you'll not save that much in size or weight.

There are some things I miss about about FF, but the a6500 is so good it has well been worth the switch. If I were a more serious hobbyist or earned income from photography (even a small amount) then the calculus would be different.

I'm actually slightly kicking myself for not going Fuji instead of Sony, but looking back at my photos since the switch, no real reason to disappointed. The problem with camera gear (and bags), there is always something different that it appealing!

Dirk

carolina_yankee is online now   Reply With Quote